university????? help?????? (1 Viewer)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
art and writing are the big ones (literal curse)
obv I'm really interested in science but studying biology wouldn't take me anywhere (chem is out of the question, I really can't do it ahh)
geology would be interesting but I still don't know if I can see myself doing that AHHHH theres just so many possibilities and options 😭
studying biology will fly u to medicine and studying geology and art will take u to the slums

liamkk112

HSC
why not do a double major? u could do a major in geology/bio/ writing or whatever and one in compsci/it. that way when u grad u have a pathway; either study more and go into the geo/bio/writing pathway probably as an academic (idk where else they work tbh), or go into an it job straight away. either case u get up skilled in some capacity, u can always work as a software engineer for a biomedical company for example

otherwise u can just do what i do and do creative stuff on the side. no one is stopping u from drawing or writing novels in your spare time, it just depends how much priority u have on money. some people just wanna get a decently high paying job and don’t really care about what they do, just go into work for the money 9-5 then go home and do what they want, they still have those 7 remaining hours to spend time on their hobbies or other pursuits. other people are lucky and already know what they wanna do and it happens to have a high salary (not many people including me), or they are content with making less money in exchange for doing something that is really fulfilling all day which is usually in the arts sadly ;( but keep in mind that professors at unis still get paid a solid 200k+, so if ur into a artsy thing and want a good salary then i’d probably recommend that as ur first port of call. or u get famous and sell paintings for 200k a pop, but unlikely and also ruins the artistic process in many ways imo

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
why not do a double major? u could do a major in geology/bio/ writing or whatever and one in compsci/it. that way when u grad u have a pathway; either study more and go into the geo/bio/writing pathway probably as an academic (idk where else they work tbh), or go into an it job straight away. either case u get up skilled in some capacity, u can always work as a software engineer for a biomedical company for example

otherwise u can just do what i do and do creative stuff on the side. no one is stopping u from drawing or writing novels in your spare time, it just depends how much priority u have on money. some people just wanna get a decently high paying job and don’t really care about what they do, just go into work for the money 9-5 then go home and do what they want, they still have those 7 remaining hours to spend time on their hobbies or other pursuits. other people are lucky and already know what they wanna do and it happens to have a high salary (not many people including me), or they are content with making less money in exchange for doing something that is really fulfilling all day which is usually in the arts sadly ;( but keep in mind that professors at unis still get paid a solid 200k+, so if ur into a artsy thing and want a good salary then i’d probably recommend that as ur first port of call. or u get famous and sell paintings for 200k a pop, but unlikely and also ruins the artistic process in many ways imo
I rate that. A solid double degree is like insurance you can fall back on if any creative/entrepreneurial pursuits flop.

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
IT has a lot of potential. I recommend taking an introductory course on Udemy or Coursera on programming after the HSC.

I recommend Frank Metropolis C++ course on Udemy to get started. Also a Python Data science course such by Jose Portilla also on Udemy.
wat exactly r these? like a paid course but on waht?
could it be something u do as a hobby?

dav53521

HSC
wat exactly r these? like a paid course but on waht?
From what I can see, the first one is basically a course on a more modern version of C++, aka C++17/20, along with some object-oriented programming concepts, which could serve as a nice introduction to C++ as it has quite a steep learning curve and can be incredibly difficult to write good programs in. However, I do have some concerns about how they advertise Inheritance and Polymorphism as C++ features when, instead, they are core concepts within OOP, which is not limited to just C++ and can be seen in languages such as Java, C# and Python. But I don't think it's that concerning as long as they make it clear that it's not applicable to just C++ and can be applied to any other OOP language.

I can't really comment on the second one, as I don't know too much about data science and machine learning.

could it be something u do as a hobby?
Programming can be done as a hobby and it's something I do as a hobby.

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
From what I can see, the first one is basically a course on a more modern version of C++, aka C++17/20, along with some object-oriented programming concepts, which could serve as a nice introduction to C++ as it has quite a steep learning curve and can be incredibly difficult to write good programs in. However, I do have some concerns about how they advertise Inheritance and Polymorphism as C++ features when, instead, they are core concepts within OOP, which is not limited to just C++ and can be seen in languages such as Java, C# and Python. But I don't think it's that concerning as long as they make it clear that it's not applicable to just C++ and can be applied to any other OOP language.
that made zero sense to me :/

dav53521

HSC
that made zero sense to me :/
It's just an intro course to a language called C++, but there are some concerning bits in the description that talk about claims that things C++ features when, instead, they're actually part of a concept that C++ uses.

Duskheaven

HSC
The advice to do a little programming course on coursera was golden. Please do that. I don't think people get paid well in IT if they're shit coders tbh.

Your aim is to survive in Sydney independently without living with your parents ? Are you eligible for youth allowance?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)