2009 THES rankings (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
The Australian universities in the top 200 are the Go8 + Macquarie.

[2009 rank] [2008 Rank] [Name] [Country]

17 16 Australian National University Australia
36= 38 University of Melbourne Australia
36= 37 University of Sydney Australia
41 43 University of Queensland Australia
45 47 Monash University Australia
47= 45 University of New South Wales Australia
81 106= University of Adelaide Australia
84 83= University of Western Australia Australia
And
189 182 Macquarie University Australia

Times Higher Education

Not sure where the full list is.

But yeah. In case anyone cares.

X

xeuyrawp

Nothing really surprising I guess. The only major jumps on that list were a few years ago.

Not sure where the full list is.
What do you mean? You linked to the full list.

Edit: Haha at Macquarie dropping seven places. Also major lol at it getting an International Student score of 100.

Last edited by a moderator:

dolbinau

HSC
Yeah I thought that was pretty funny :p.

I mean is there a list of those that ranked over 200? Since it is based on like 600 unis or something, it would be interesting to see the other ones..(though since they'd all be so close maybe they don't show them?)

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah I thought that was pretty funny :p.
Pretty indicative of the university. International students more satisfied than local ones.

I mean is there a list of those that ranked over 200? Since it is based on like 600 unis or something, it would be interesting to see the other ones..(though since they'd all be so close maybe they don't show them?)
I'm not sure. They don't publish anything over 200, so I doubt they release the figures either.

blackrider89

HSC
Try the Shanghai Jiaotong's one. Is considered more rigorous and accurate.

IMAO, I like the HEEACT much. Very transparent and contains heaps of related factors. But MQ was ranked so low in it so I'd prefer the SHJT's :cool:.

phrred

HSC

IMAO, I like the HEEACT much. Very transparent and contains heaps of related factors. But MQ was ranked so low in it so I'd prefer the SHJT's :cool:.
lol have u looked at SHJT?
theres only 1 australian uni in the top 100 i think.. mq is like 300

X

xeuyrawp

[[citation needed]] To cut a a long argument short, SJTU's ranking is natural-science focussed, really.
IMAO, I like the HEEACT much. Very transparent and contains heaps of related factors.
Um, wtf? 'heaps of related factors'? It's formed exclusively by looking at the papers which members of the university publish, and how much those papers are cited. Ie, it's not even 'research based' as they claim, but publishing-based. Anybody who understands publishing and academia understands that HEEACT has its place in understanding university rankings, but that it is not nor should be considered anything like decent, holistic rankings.
But MQ was ranked so low in it so I'd prefer the SHJT's :cool:.
If you care what other people think about your university, you're going to the wrong one.

xoa

HSC
Heavily biased in favour of the English-speaking world.

2 of the 6 criteria are based on the number of international students/staff. A super-TAFE immigration factory would have a ranking advantage over a quality Asian university which mainly recruits locally.

And Asian universities face a disadvantage when it comes to citations in English-language journals.

Last edited:

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Yeah, all of this is a bunch of crap.

In order to rate every university in the world, they have to pick a small set of criteria that's easy to measure at the expense of real quality that affects most under grads.

International students are only good if you're attracting the best students from all over the world to come, not when it's as easy as it is here.

For american unis, the princeton review is much more relevant to an undergrad.
College Rankings
It considers things like best classroom experience, good lecturers, happiest students, most/least studious students, etc

We need something like this for Australia.

dash99

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't the Australian equivalent be the Good University Guide?
I suppose it doesn't rank as such, just gives stars (like up to 5 stars for teaching quality, graduate satisfaction, staff-student ratios, cultural diversity and gender balance, research, toughness to get in, and academic services).

Ben1220

HSC
University rankings vary significantly, I've seen the same uni ranked around 20th and 90th in the world in the same year. I guess it really depends on how they choose to rank them. The Times Higher Education seems to be rather favourable to Australian universities compared to some others I've seen. ANU usually gets in the top 20, and the other top Sandstone Unis aren't too far behind.

X

xeuyrawp

University rankings vary significantly, I've seen the same uni ranked around 20th and 90th in the world in the same year. I guess it really depends on how they choose to rank them. The Times Higher Education seems to be rather favourable to Australian universities compared to some others I've seen. ANU usually gets in the top 20, and the other top Sandstone Unis aren't too far behind.
Yeah I'd agree.

Many rankings are far harsher on mainland European unis than I they are on the Aussie unis, for some reason.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
UNSW dropped 2.. It's been dropping ever since the ranking was published. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)