2016 MX 5 Discussion Thread... (1 Viewer)

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad

yep, it's finally happening (this Wednesday to be precise)... If it sounds like anything in this clip... well, I would buy one... looks like the shitty 86 gon' have some competition... (I've heard from the grapevine that they have also stopped making the 86... thank god, they are becoming more common than HIV in Africa...)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If it looks anything like the current BM generation of Mazda, I'd be happy with the looks. Currently, it just looks too 'round'.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If it looks anything like the current BM generation of Mazda, I'd be happy with the looks. Currently, it just looks too 'round'.
Don't particularly mind that to be honest.

The MX5 is known as a ~woman's car~ because of the exterior design but I think that's where the charm is. Making it sleeker will take the soul out of the car imo but I have a hard-on for soft-looking cars (hate Ferrari/Lambo, like Aston Martin/Jaguar, etc.).

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Am I the only one who read that as 2016 Maths Extension 5 Discussion Thread?
Maths Extension 5, in car section, really??? :lol:

I'm hanging for proper pics of it so I can judge it properly... hopefully it can shake the hairdresser car tag as well... :lol:

looks like it actually might, by the sounds of things... from the sounds of things, they were listening to criticisms about the 86 as well... eg: why you no put forced induction, etc...

Last edited:

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Maths Extension 5, in car section, really??? :lol:

I'm hanging for proper pics of it so I can judge it properly... hopefully it can shake the hairdresser car tag as well... :lol:

looks like it actually might, by the sounds of things... from the sounds of things, they were listening to criticisms about the 86 as well... eg: why you no put forced induction, etc...
do you think it would look like an 86.. ?

tbh the 86 isnt a bad car...the exterior and interior is pretty good. Just the engine is pure crap...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
do you think it would look like an 86.. ?

tbh the 86 isnt a bad car...the exterior and interior is pretty good. Just the engine is pure crap...
Engine is the main thing above all things. Exterior and Interior are last for performance :p

Then again interior would be good to have that comfort during longer drives.

The engine isn't pure crap its just that they haven't developed it the way it should have been developed. The 86/BRZ were developed with constraints as to what engine was to be put in. Its basically an impreza/XV engine lel. You can't expect it to be comparable to a WRX or Supra on the performance front if it has such an engine. Many people hyped it up thinking it would be a lot more powerful but man how stupid are they.

My ej25 is a comparable engine (brand new ej25 though) to that in the 86/BRZ :haha:

Idk though I wouldn't say the engine is pure crap. The engine is exactly what they made it for. Its not made to be a track day or weekend car. Its made to be an everyday car, that you can occasionally have some fun in :p

Kinda like a hot hatch type everyday car, except better as it has a boxer (strong bias here :haha:).

Main reason why they kept it a RWD and changed a few ratios of the overall performance is so that you could have some fun with it. Otherwise, just buy an impreza.

As for the price, its high because of the demand. Hence why I consider it over rated, and would just go WRX instead.

As for the MX5 I can't wait to see what it can do, and hopefully it gives mazda a good run.

But heck will we all miss the rotary engine. It shall return one day..... That day will probs make me buy one :haha:

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Kinda like a hot hatch type everyday car, except better as it has a boxer turbo (strong bias here :haha:).
Not a turbo, and it was intentional - once you start getting high hp it becomes more of a track or straight line car.

The 86 has a better power to weight ratio than a Golf GTI so I fnd it funny that people complain about the 86 being slow but call the GTI a hot hatch.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Not a turbo, and it was intentional - once you start getting high hp it becomes more of a track or straight line car.

The 86 has a better power to weight ratio than a Golf GTI so I fnd it funny that people complain about the 86 being slow but call the GTI a hot hatch.
Oops I have no idea why I said turbo. I must have been thinking about the WRX at the time and mis-wrote. I was meant to say "boxer" only. And it definitely was intentional it is was not aimed to have performance like some other vehicles.

I contradicted myself with the turbo bit lol. I was making the point that its not for complete performance haha. I did not know about the high hp bit. Kinda makes sense so that you only hit the performance end when you need to on a track or for some more acceleration. Other than that you can use it like an everyday car. Then again, when mine gets to about 4000-5000 rpm it gets a lot more acceleration out of it too (but its kinda different because the ej25 is not based on that neither is it a RWD).

Lol people complain because they try and compare it to something with more power. They think the price tag should reflect performance, when clearly that's not the point of the car at all. You only get extra performance out of it when you need it.

EDIT: Maybe all this stuff about the 86/BRZ warrants a new and separate thread because we should leave this one for the MX5.

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Sick of the 86, too many P platers taking advantage of easy finance then crapping on how good it is. Give me an s2000 any day....

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Sick of the 86, too many P platers taking advantage of easy finance then crapping on how good it is. Give me an s2000 any day....
inb4 all the 86's/BRZ's are sold for MX5's and the whole process begins again.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I doubt the MX5 will look better than the 86, pretty much impossible for a roadster to have lines that clean.

Will be a good car, but wont appeal to the non (or semi) enthusiasts who are buying 86s now.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I am psyched for this car.

I have formed the opinion that the current NC mx5 is a better car than the 86 for the following reasons;

- a number of reviews have indicated it's maybe less fun than the NC mx-5, a 9 year old car. At best, it's not a lot better. If you fix the NC copious bodyroll with firmer suspension, it clearly surpasses the 86.
- The spark plug change costs $700, requires many hours of complex labour.

http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/569-1700-54-month-service-cost-be-aware/

They should have just used a straight engine. It'll be a horrible car to own when old and attempt to service yourself, unlike the NC.

So with the 9 year old car being competitive, a new mx5, which they're claiming 100kg weight reduction, improved power, hopefully more realistic price, may make the 86 obsolete.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Regarding the 100kg weight reduction, I thought the target weight was sub 900kg - sounds like they have fallen very short.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
There's no way you could make a sub 900kg car today without going down the route of cars like the elise or alfa 4c - fancy chassis at super high prices with very basic creature comforts.

It's astonishing if the new one achieves anywhere near 1000kg.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, not a fan of the smiley faces but the new Mazda 3 and 6 look pretty good.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
first generation curb weight: 940kg
second generation curb weight: 1065kg
third generation curb weight: 1110-1153kg

mazda officially became a 'girl's brand' when they decided to ruin all of their cars by putting smiley faces on them, including the mx5 which looks ridiculous.
Every single mazda is usually the best cars to drive in their class though. Before they were a 'girl's brand', they were whitegoods on wheels, like the old 323, 626 were just bland, uninteresting in every way. The 2, 3, 6 are all the best cars, except sometimes for their ford equivalents, because ford/mazda jointly develop most of their models.

Only 150kg weight gain between the first and third generation mx5 is really amazing, no sports cars gain that little weight over 25 years. The first gen mx5 predates basic modern quality and safety standards, if you ever ride in a 1989 mx5 it's about as refined, sophisticated, and safe as a shopping trolley, whereas the 2006 is a modernish car. Getting within 100kg of the '89 model in a 2014 car with all the crap that now has to be included, I'll believe it when I see it.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Ye my car has an 860kg curb weight, 1996 mazda 121 > 2015 mx5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)