• Congratulations to the Class of 2021 on your results!
    Let us know how you went here
    Got a question about your uni preferences? Ask us here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2021 grads - what would u have done differently looking back now? (1 Viewer)

aureus_

HSC
Consistency over cramming: would've rather put a certain number of hours each day for studying instead of suddenly increasing it to unrealistic amounts during exam periods. Led to multiple burn-outs, lost of motivation and anxiety.

Spend less time making notes and more doing questions/papers: notes should be condensed and not the focus of what you do while studying, doing questions and actively thinking is much more efficient and appropriate.

Understand concepts over memorising: flashcards are good and all at rote-learning most facts and memorising but if you don't understand it doesn't matter, regurgitating a fact without explaining it doesn't get you marks.

Realising when to reach out for help: when you find a topic especially difficult make sure you ask your teacher/tutor/students doing well in your subject for help. Or if you realise your teacher for a certain subject is bad make sure you compensate by getting a tutor elsewhere, finding your own ways like through online resources and textbooks. And of course if you feel mentally pressured or stressed out make sure you have someone to talk to, don't ignore it.

sab13562

HSC
I would of stressed out less, other than that, no regrets. As long as you know you've tried your best, that's what matters.

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
I would of stressed out less, other than that, no regrets. As long as you know you've tried your best, that's what matters.
How do you do that though? I tried meditation but my mind keeps on wandering to let's say the birds chirping outside, what I am gonna eat, youtube, the need to procrastinate all at once.

sab13562

HSC
How do you do that though? I tried meditation but my mind keeps on wandering to let's say the birds chirping outside, what I am gonna eat, youtube, the need to procrastinate all at once.
As in I wouldn't stress out as much over year 12 and ATAR, with things like early offers and bonus marks existing, and bridging courses/course transfers.

Also stressing over exams was totally not worth it. If you need a break, take it and relax. I remember I would constantly think about studying, and it was pretty unhealthy mentally, to the extent that I'd be thinking about it while sleeping.

So along with studying, go watch your shows, go do your exercise, go eat, go out with friends and family. These all make a difference.

And tbh, 2 to 4 hours of study a day are plenty. Leave the rest of the day for enjoying yourself and spending time with family. That's what I mean by stressing less.

jkjkjk

HSC
Not a 2021 grad but I would've worked as soon as possible in high school. I realised now that money is 10x more important than a couple of atar points.
would u recommend working in year 12?

jkjkjk

HSC
also, is the hsc ninja honour roll based on only your hsc mark?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
also, is the hsc ninja honour roll based on only your hsc mark?
It's not the honour roll for that website specficially. Basically they just take the NESA released honour roll and upload it onto their website in a way you can search for things.

You get onto NESA honour roll if you have a band 6 in a subject

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
would u recommend working in year 12?
I woulda worked all the time tbh. During high school my logic was "saving 5-10k a year is nothing, you earn that 10-60k in one year after graduating uni". But now I realised that saving even 30k is huge, that's half of a house deposit approximately.

Not saying trying hard is bad, it's just that personally getting some good marks becomes useless when starting uni (unless you change degree), whereas saving a big sum of money like 30k can make a pretty big impact tbh (even something like funding a lot of vacations).

jkjkjk

HSC
Grind the early exams just in case covid pays a visit just before trials…
I didn't do very well in one of my first assessments for a subject but I have 12 units, is it possible to recover from this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)