• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

2021 HSC Chat (2 Viewers)

SpiderX1X

HSC
You need to be top 188 (out of 216) to do Maths Ext. 1, but by year 12 that number will drop to 164. Top 80 in our year do the 2u maths advanced course this year.

Top 144 make Physics and Chemistry, but anyone can do Biology because its not as popular. For other subjects, yeah there are no benchmarks unless you really screwed up in that subject. I'm happy I made all of my subjects and they fit on my timetable, at least!
What do people do if they don't make Physics and Chem? Do they just choose Bio or something

SkyPanda

HSC
You need to be top 188 (out of 216) to do Maths Ext. 1, but by year 12 that number will drop to 164. Top 80 in our year do the 2u maths advanced course this year.

Top 144 make Physics and Chemistry, but anyone can do Biology because its not as popular. For other subjects, yeah there are no benchmarks unless you really screwed up in that subject. I'm happy I made all of my subjects and they fit on my timetable, at least!
So do you have any before or after school classes? I don’t but I also don’t have any free periods.

Mikunnn~

HSC
What do people do if they don't make Physics and Chem? Do they just choose Bio or something
Some people who wanted to do Phys and Chem and also did accelerated subjects got kicked out of their accelerated subjects (Mod History, Business Studies) because of timetabling.

Most people who don't make it either do Mod History or Bio, yeah.

But so many people are doing what's known as the "suicide five" - Maths Ext.1 , Eng Ext. 1, Phys, Chem, Bio. Honestly I don't know how they do it.

SpiderX1X

HSC
Some people who wanted to do Phys and Chem and also did accelerated subjects got kicked out of their accelerated subjects (Mod History, Business Studies) because of timetabling.

Most people who don't make it either do Mod History or Bio, yeah.

But so many people are doing what's known as the "suicide five" - Maths Ext.1 , Eng Ext. 1, Phys, Chem, Bio. Honestly I don't know how they do it.
I'm doing that combination right now (forget my signature, didnt update it), and trust me it's hell haha.

Mikunnn~

HSC
So do you have any before or after school classes? I don’t but I also don’t have any free periods.
Most people have morning classes on Thursday (before school) for Maths but they can leave at 12:30.

Everyone in my year has to do 12 units, so we get 3 free periods/cycle (around 1/week). How many units are you doing?

SkyPanda

HSC
Most people have morning classes on Thursday (before school) for Maths but they can leave at 12:30.

Everyone in my year has to do 12 units, so we get 3 free periods/cycle (around 1/week). How many units are you doing?
I am doing 12 units, so is everyone else in my year, and no one has free periods. I think my year is the first group of year 11s in our school to not have any study periods.

Mikunnn~

HSC
I am doing 12 units, so is everyone else in my year, and no one has free periods. I think my year is the first group of year 11s in our school to not have any study periods.
Hmm... that's strange. Do you do sport during school hours? That might explain why.

Mikunnn~

HSC
I'm doing that combination right now (forget my signature, didnt update it), and trust me it's hell haha.
That combo "makes me want to sleep but keeps me awake at the same time" - one of my friends. Bio is the worst for him because he's not used to the workload and content. Boy, during Year 10, we bludged a little too much.

SpiderX1X

HSC
That combo "makes me want to sleep but keeps me awake at the same time" - one of my friends. Bio is the worst for him because he's not used to the workload and content. Boy, during Year 10, we bludged a little too much.
Yo i bludged way too much as well, my school is ages away so I can barely eat when i come home i have to start studying straight away, i literally lost a kg over this week damn it. And that phrase is so relatable, you want to sleep, but you can't.

Mikunnn~

HSC
Yo i bludged way too much as well, my school is ages away so I can barely eat when i come home i have to start studying straight away, i literally lost a kg over this week damn it. And that phrase is so relatable, you want to sleep, but you can't.
Haha I'm like the opposite. Now we can drop PDHPE, and now there are more "easier" options for timetabled sport, I feel like I'm putting on weight. Boy, I really need to exercise and keep fit. Anyway, good luck with your subjects! I've already done Module 1 for Phys and Chem for coaching, and... it's not that bad, to be honest. Good luck!

SkyPanda

HSC
Damn, how long does it take you to get home from school?

SkyPanda

HSC
Hmm... that's strange. Do you do sport during school hours? That might explain why.
No I don’t think sport has anything to do with it, it just how the school timetables the periods. By giving up study periods, all my classes fit on my timetable so I don’t have to have before school classes.

Mikunnn~

HSC
No I don’t think sport has anything to do with it, it just how the school timetables the periods. By giving up study periods, all my classes fit on my timetable so I don’t have to have before school classes.
Ah well, free periods aren't everything. Are you planning to drop to 10 units in year 12? Or will you keep your 12 units?

SpiderX1X

HSC
TWO HOURS?! Wow! Must be really tough for you!
Yeah, it's so annoying honestly. I don't want to do the wrong decision and go back to my previous school, but everyday the fatigue just convinces me that it's not worth all this so idk.

Mikunnn~

HSC
Yeah, it's so annoying honestly. I don't want to do the wrong decision and go back to my previous school, but everyday the fatigue just convinces me that it's not worth all this so idk.
Are you then planning to drop to 10 units in year 12 to free up time? It must be really heavy for you right now!

SkyPanda

HSC
Ah well, free periods aren't everything. Are you planning to drop to 10 units in year 12? Or will you keep your 12 units?
I’m gonna keep 12 units. I’m gonna drop from Ext 1 English to English advanced but pick up 4u Math, so still 12 units in total. How about you?

SpiderX1X

HSC
Are you then planning to drop to 10 units in year 12 to free up time? It must be really heavy for you right now!
It makes no difference honestly. School hours are increased in Year 12 (7am-4:30pm), and I'll get back home even later, and more tired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)