#welcome #general-chat (3 Viewers)

foxxraven

HSC
i decided to keep modern and change pdh as it was also going to be a lot of content in combination with my other subjects. so i guess business is my replacement. i hope its not too boring
I hope you like it. I've heard that Business has a decent amount of content, but PDH is very content heavy so I totally get that.

hibaxx

HSC
I hope you like it. I've heard that Business has a decent amount of content, but PDH is very content heavy so I totally get that.
pdh teachers briefly skim over the content and rush through as it is a major workload so hopefully business isnt the same.

Mikunnn~

HSC
Pretty good, I have a lovely teacher. We haven't really gotten into the meaty content yet though, it's still more of the intro stuff.
Everything's kind of an intro at the moment but sheesh.

Physics and Chemistry are going to be quite demanding and so is English Adv. and Ext. Oh, and I'm probably doing my 2u maths HSC this year. And my Music 2 HSC. I'm enjoying the calm before the storm.

I'm happy my teachers are actually teaching and I like the independence and the free periods and doing subjects which I like. Also, the fact I have such a competitive cohort.

In phys and chem, we're doing so many experiments, but Year 11 is perhaps the most important experiment that you'll ever conduct. You can find good (and bad habits) and get a glimpse of what the HSC is like.

EmmaSneddon03

HSC
Hi, I'm in year 11 and the classes I'm doing are English Advanced, Math Standard, Biology, Investigating Science, Ancient History and Modern History. Does anyone have any tips for me because I'm starting to realise how much I'm going to struggle this year haha

Mikunnn~

HSC
Hi, I'm in year 11 and the classes I'm doing are English Advanced, Math Standard, Biology, Investigating Science, Ancient History and Modern History. Does anyone have any tips for me because I'm starting to realise how much I'm going to struggle this year haha
Take a look at some STUDY TIPS https://boredofstudies.org/pages/study-tips/ for expert advice on how exactly to study during this tumultuous year.

Remember to:

• Work hard: hard effort usually always pays off
  • Listen actively and handwrite notes: proven to be more effective before exams
  • Organise everything: Year 7~10 were not just "bludge" years. You should know by know the key skills of organisation skills
  • Stay fit: I think Year 11 and 12 students put on ~6 kg each year. Study hard BUT don't sacrifice your physical and mental health.
  • Use this website (and other resources): There are SO MANY notes and everyone here would be more than happy to answer your questions.
Enjoy Year 11, because next year's going to be... FUN.

EmmaSneddon03

HSC
Thanks for the help, I'm most definitely worried about Advanced English though it's the one subject that could bring me down so I might drop to Standard although I've heard they are very similar idk though

Mikunnn~

HSC
Thanks for the help, I'm most definitely worried about Advanced English though it's the one subject that could bring me down so I might drop to Standard although I've heard they are very similar idk though
Worried about Advanced English? Look at me doing Advanced Eng and Ext. 1 AND Advanced Maths and Ext. 1. Imagine going to a school which doesn't offer standard english or maths haha.

Here is something moderator BLIT2014 had to say on dropping to standard:

"The difficulty is similar in Standard to Advanced. However, Advanced has much better aligning (proportion getting band 4s,5s etc). You would probably be worse of, with respect to your ATAR, then if you stuck with Advanced English.

I would encourage you to stick with Advanced English. Have you been handing in essays and getting feedback (plus incorporating that feedback into future essays?). Can you afford/willing to get a tutor if you are already trying the previous piece of advice? Any of your friends willing to help you (if they happen to be good at English?). Maybe also try reading some exemplar essays, and essays at different bands, and see what the higher standard essays are doing that your essay is not.

You still have a year till your HSC exams, so you have time to make a significant difference to your English mark.

I have witnessed people getting 50s/60s in Advanced and ending up with band 4s after aligning whilst witnessing people who were getting marks in the 80s in Standard, only receiving band 3s as their final marks."

But if you do decide to drop, treat standard english as any other subject and do your best!

EmmaSneddon03

HSC
It's still early on in the year so we haven't covered that much or really done anything so far, I can't afford tutoring and my friends are all maths geeks so. I guess i'll try my best considering what you said about aligning, I'm going to use as much online help I can like YouTube videos and sites like this to support me so I guess i'll just see where I go for now and then decide later on.

foxxraven

HSC
Hey! The subjects I’m taking this year are 3U English, 3U Math, IPT, Physics and Economics. Is there anyone else doing IPT or Economics here? Haven’t seen it been mentioned in this thread yet.
My school doesn't offer IPT, but we have a fair amount of people doing economics. How are you finding english and maths?

Mikunnn~

HSC
Hey! The subjects I’m taking this year are 3U English, 3U Math, IPT, Physics and Economics. Is there anyone else doing IPT or Economics here? Haven’t seen it been mentioned in this thread yet.
Well, we do we have subjects in common...

Yeah, my school doesn't offer IPT but they might be offering it for the class of 2023. I'm not doing Economics, but a lot of people from my school are doing it. Guess they must really like the "Asian Five".

Haha English is fun but tedious at the same time. Doing pages full of work is satisfying but...it can get a little heavy at times. Physics' Module One is pretty straightforward in my opinion, as long as you are familiar with all of your formulas and concepts. For Maths we're dong the HSC 2 unit course, which isn't too bad in my opinion.

How are you finding English, Maths, and Physics? Sorry I can't answer for IPT or Economics.

Mikunnn~

HSC
I find them all alright actually, the content is a bit harder than before but it is doable. Physics and math are pretty straightforward for me since I have learnt some of the content myself in the holidays already, so class time is mainly smoothing out my understanding rather than learning new things. For English I do agree that it can be a bit tedious at times but it can still be fun.

Also does your school offer SDD?
Yeah it does actually but you need to be ~top 80 maths to do it (I think, not sure). SDD is fun from the people I've talked to, but they're also really good at it so maybe that's why.

Mikunnn~

HSC
Oh for us we don’t have any benchmarks for SDD. But for Ext 1 Math and English you need to have gotten either an A or B for it in Year 10. For Economics you can’t be in the bottom thirty of the year.

Does your school have benchmarks for any other subjects?
You need to be top 188 (out of 216) to do Maths Ext. 1, but by year 12 that number will drop to 164. Top 80 in our year do the 2u maths advanced course this year.

Top 144 make Physics and Chemistry, but anyone can do Biology because its not as popular. For other subjects, yeah there are no benchmarks unless you really screwed up in that subject. I'm happy I made all of my subjects and they fit on my timetable, at least!

SpiderX1X

HSC
You need to be top 188 (out of 216) to do Maths Ext. 1, but by year 12 that number will drop to 164. Top 80 in our year do the 2u maths advanced course this year.

Top 144 make Physics and Chemistry, but anyone can do Biology because its not as popular. For other subjects, yeah there are no benchmarks unless you really screwed up in that subject. I'm happy I made all of my subjects and they fit on my timetable, at least!
What do people do if they don't make Physics and Chem? Do they just choose Bio or something

Mikunnn~

HSC
What do people do if they don't make Physics and Chem? Do they just choose Bio or something
Some people who wanted to do Phys and Chem and also did accelerated subjects got kicked out of their accelerated subjects (Mod History, Business Studies) because of timetabling.

Most people who don't make it either do Mod History or Bio, yeah.

But so many people are doing what's known as the "suicide five" - Maths Ext.1 , Eng Ext. 1, Phys, Chem, Bio. Honestly I don't know how they do it.

SpiderX1X

HSC
Some people who wanted to do Phys and Chem and also did accelerated subjects got kicked out of their accelerated subjects (Mod History, Business Studies) because of timetabling.

Most people who don't make it either do Mod History or Bio, yeah.

But so many people are doing what's known as the "suicide five" - Maths Ext.1 , Eng Ext. 1, Phys, Chem, Bio. Honestly I don't know how they do it.
I'm doing that combination right now (forget my signature, didnt update it), and trust me it's hell haha.

Mikunnn~

HSC
So do you have any before or after school classes? I don’t but I also don’t have any free periods.
Most people have morning classes on Thursday (before school) for Maths but they can leave at 12:30.

Everyone in my year has to do 12 units, so we get 3 free periods/cycle (around 1/week). How many units are you doing?

Mikunnn~

HSC
I am doing 12 units, so is everyone else in my year, and no one has free periods. I think my year is the first group of year 11s in our school to not have any study periods.
Hmm... that's strange. Do you do sport during school hours? That might explain why.

Mikunnn~

HSC
I'm doing that combination right now (forget my signature, didnt update it), and trust me it's hell haha.
That combo "makes me want to sleep but keeps me awake at the same time" - one of my friends. Bio is the worst for him because he's not used to the workload and content. Boy, during Year 10, we bludged a little too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)