#welcome #general-chat (2 Viewers)

Mikunnn~

HSC
I moved to NSW maybe 3 months or so ago so I'm very new to this whole scaling thing. Is it really as important as everyone crops it up to be? I'm planning on going onto Medicine so I'm really aiming for a 90+ ATAR.

I'm currently taking Math Adv and Ext 1, English Adv, Biology, Chemistry, 1u SOR, and French Beginners. I'm thinking about switching to Japanese Continuers instead of French, however, as I had only found out that my school allowed students to take it externally.

Would a 90+ ATAR be possible?
Everyone makes scaling the the biggest thing in the world and your life going to be over if you take low scaling subjects. This is perhaps one of the biggest myths in the HSC. Scaling will not help you if you struggle with your subjects, so generally take subjects that you like and are good at. Thankfully, the two usually complement each other.

I would recommend for you to drop to 10 units in year 12. Biology and chemistry are very very very heavy subjects and a language can be stressful. How is everything going so far? What do you plan to do for year 12? Bunny girl senpai’s a trash anime, btw.

Oh, and of course a 90+ atar is possible!

大好きです。。。

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I moved to NSW maybe 3 months or so ago so I'm very new to this whole scaling thing. Is it really as important as everyone crops it up to be? I'm planning on going onto Medicine so I'm really aiming for a 90+ ATAR.

I'm currently taking Math Adv and Ext 1, English Adv, Biology, Chemistry, 1u SOR, and French Beginners. I'm thinking about switching to Japanese Continuers instead of French, however, as I had only found out that my school allowed students to take it externally.

Would a 90+ ATAR be possible?
Yeah your subjects are fine for a 90+. Do not worry about scaling it will take its course.

s.ysabelle_

HSC
Everyone makes scaling the the biggest thing in the world and your life going to be over if you take low scaling subjects. This is perhaps one of the biggest myths in the HSC. Scaling will not help you if you struggle with your subjects, so generally take subjects that you like and are good at. Thankfully, the two usually complement each other.

I would recommend for you to drop to 10 units in year 12. Biology and chemistry are very very very heavy subjects and a language can be stressful. How is everything going so far? What do you plan to do for year 12? Bunny girl senpai’s a trash anime, btw.

Oh, and of course a 90+ atar is possible!

大好きです。。。
It's so relieving to hear someone say that, omg. I was getting too stressed out about it, but this gives me a little peace of mind.

I'm definitely still getting used to the NSW way of things, but I've been doing well so far in my subjects. This is my third time moving to a new high school, so it's always a bit tough, but it's been quite good this time around. It's a bigger school, so friends are way easier to come by (My previous school only had 14 students in my grade! Crazy.) Time really is going too fast - I can't believe the term is nearly half over. I think I'll consider dropping a subject next year. Probably Japanese, if I really had to choose. I'd really like to drop SOR, but, unfortunately, it's compulsory :rolleyes:

Also, I'd like to disagree. Bunny girl senpai is a TREAT of an anime, and I stand by that.

頑張りましょう!

Mikunnn~

HSC
It's so relieving to hear someone say that, omg. I was getting too stressed out about it, but this gives me a little peace of mind.

I'm definitely still getting used to the NSW way of things, but I've been doing well so far in my subjects. This is my third time moving to a new high school, so it's always a bit tough, but it's been quite good this time around. It's a bigger school, so friends are way easier to come by (My previous school only had 14 students in my grade! Crazy.) Time really is going too fast - I can't believe the term is nearly half over. I think I'll consider dropping a subject next year. Probably Japanese, if I really had to choose. I'd really like to drop SOR, but, unfortunately, it's compulsory :rolleyes:

Also, I'd like to disagree. Bunny girl senpai is a TREAT of an anime, and I stand by that.

頑張りましょう!
Bunny girl senpai’s concept was orignal and engaging. But it was poorly executed and really, not a good anime.

Indeed, let’s do our best during those years! Valuable skills in life can be gained!

If I may, which school do you go to now? Which state didn’t you move from because I have no idea how other states do things. Is it coed or single sex? Are the teachers good? Do you like your subjects?

I’m down to chat (on discord) if you want to ;)

Last edited:

s.ysabelle_

HSC
Bunny girl senpai’s concept was orignal and engaging. But it was poorly executed and really, not a good anime.

Indeed, let’s do our best during those years! Valuable skills in life can be gained!

If I may, which school do you go to now? Which state didn’t you move from because I have no idea how other states do things. Is it coed or single sex? Are the teachers good? Do you like your subjects?

I’m down to chat (on discord) if you want to ;)
Yeah, that's fair. I haven't watched anime much at all these past three or so years so Bunny girl senpai was a nice watch to get me back into watching more anime. I do agree that a lot of the parts could've been done better, but I think it's pretty good for just watching casually. I love the voice actors in it a lot, and the art style is totally up my ally. But to each their own haha

I go to a coed catholic high school near the Newcastle area. Pretty much all of my teachers seem great, though my Eng Adv teacher isn't really the best when it comes to conveying her points clearly. SOR sucks and so does the teacher, but I'm not really bothered since I only have the subject twice a week.

I just recently got back onto discord so we should totally chat! I'll message you my username :D

Mikunnn~

HSC
Yeah, that's fair. I haven't watched anime much at all these past three or so years so Bunny girl senpai was a nice watch to get me back into watching more anime. I do agree that a lot of the parts could've been done better, but I think it's pretty good for just watching casually. I love the voice actors in it a lot, and the art style is totally up my ally. But to each their own haha

I go to a coed catholic high school near the Newcastle area. Pretty much all of my teachers seem great, though my Eng Adv teacher isn't really the best when it comes to conveying her points clearly. SOR sucks and so does the teacher, but I'm not really bothered since I only have the subject twice a week.

I just recently got back onto discord so we should totally chat! I'll message you my username :D
SOR for our school is if you don’t want to do maths lol. But the teachers are really good at sbhs anyway because selective schools and all that haha. Really looking forward to chatting...!

( hope you know how to pm )

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
what is SDD? i dont think my school offers that
Software Design and Development. Sometimes it is not offered at schools that may be very low ranked, or have a very small cohort, or are a girls only school.

Mikunnn~

HSC
Software Design and Development. Sometimes it is not offered at schools that may be very low ranked, or have a very small cohort, or are a girls only school.
True yes. SBHS has certain requirements you need to tick in order to do SDD (high Maths scores, etc.) other schools may be the same.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
True yes. SBHS has certain requirements you need to tick in order to do SDD (high Maths scores, etc.) other schools may be the same.
My school also surprisingly had such kind of math requirements which meant almost all of our class did at least 3u maths. I find it highly unnecessary because there is literally no math in SDD. These kinds of requirements should be saved for University Computer Science.

Mikunnn~

HSC
My school also surprisingly had such kind of math requirements which meant almost all of our class did at least 3u maths. I find it highly unnecessary because there is literally no math in SDD. These kinds of requirements should be saved for University Computer Science.
My guess is they assume those who are good at maths are good at SDD. Which is completely illogical and may be keeping the high performing SDD kids out. maybe that’s why sbhs is dropping...

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
My guess is they assume those who are good at maths are good at SDD. Which is completely illogical and may be keeping the high performing SDD kids out. maybe that’s why sbhs is dropping...
In hindsight I think the reason is that there's not that many teachers for the subject throughout the state and so you can't really have that many classes, so they select the people who have the highest chance of success out of the lot.

Wizjaro

HSC
Oh my school doesn’t have any sort of benchmark for SDD and literally anyone can do it. Also it’s pretty illogical to think someone good at maths will do well in SDD seeing as who different those two subjects are.

foxxraven

HSC
Oh my school doesn’t have any sort of benchmark for SDD and literally anyone can do it. Also it’s pretty illogical to think someone good at maths will do well in SDD seeing as who different those two subjects are.
Same, my school has no benchmark for SDD.

Mikunnn~

HSC
Same, my school has no benchmark for SDD.
Yeah, it just depends on what school you go to. SDD's a great subject from everyone who is doing it, it's just a pity some people didn't make it because the benchmark or because of timetabling issues.

Wizjaro

HSC
Yeah, it just depends on what school you go to. SDD's a great subject from everyone who is doing it, it's just a pity some people didn't make it because the benchmark or because of timetabling issues.
Yea benchmarks and timetabling sucks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)