2u maths for UNSW CS (1 Viewer)

hellohowslife

HSC
Hello, I am planning to do a CS degree at UNSW but only did 2u maths. Is it required for me to do a bridging course for maths ext 1 before starting? If so, should I have already started it or something?

Last edited:

cossine

HSC
Having a quick read of the handbook there is no requirement of bridging course but it may be good idea to double check this.

FesuY

HSC
Hello, I am planning to do a CS degree at UNSW but only did 2u maths. Is it required for me to do a bridging course for maths ext 1 before starting? If so, should I have already started it or something?
I read somewhere on a similar thread that you can take an easier math course for all semesters in the first year, and take additional holiday classes to allow you to be on par with everyone else on the second year. Also, this video should explain everything about the right math course for first year engineering courses. Hope this helps.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you've only done 2U you probably will struggle in Math1131 as the content assumes you know 3 unit maths. It's not a prerequisite but it is a good idea for you to take some bridging course or self study it so you are better prepared for the course.

hellohowslife

HSC
If you've only done 2U you probably will struggle in Math1131 as the content assumes you know 3 unit maths. It's not a prerequisite but it is a good idea for you to take some bridging course or self study it so you are better prepared for the course.
is there anywhere to find out what 3u topics I should learn for MATH1131?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

quickoats

HSC
I read somewhere on a similar thread that you can take an easier math course for all semesters in the first year, and take additional holiday classes to allow you to be on par with everyone else on the second year.
This isn't quite right;
There is only one easier math course (MATH1011). You still need to do the normal/advanced first year maths courses in order to do the second year ones. If you don't think you're ready to do MATH1131 (the first standard maths course) in your first term of uni, you can do MATH1011 in the first term, MATH1131 in the second term, and MATH1231 in the 3rd term, which will allow you to be up to speed for 2nd year. No math courses are offered in the summer anymore as far as I'm aware.

FesuY

HSC
This isn't quite right;
There is only one easier math course (MATH1011). You still need to do the normal/advanced first year maths courses in order to do the second year ones. If you don't think you're ready to do MATH1131 (the first standard maths course) in your first term of uni, you can do MATH1011 in the first term, MATH1131 in the second term, and MATH1231 in the 3rd term, which will allow you to be up to speed for 2nd year. No math courses are offered in the summer anymore as far as I'm aware.
Oh ok, I guess the video was outdated then.

5uckerberg

HSC
is there anywhere to find out what 3u topics I should learn for MATH1131?
Speaking from memory you are going to have to read up on vectors. Cannot escape that, the understanding of inverse functions. Have fun with that. Complex numbers you will need to know that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)