32 v 64 bit (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Going to build my own PC soon and the obvious issue of ram has come up. More than happy to research part compatibility etc, but as for now, can someone give me a laymans explanation on the (dis?)advantages of 64bit over 32bit?

Afaik you'll need drivers that support it. Any software issues I'd need to know about apart from needing a 64bit OS? Was planning to use tinyxp or tiny7, but surely they come in 64 bit variants.

So yeah, pls thx.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
64 bit has more bits

edit 2 but i don't think you can dispute this information

Last edited:

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
64 bit has more bits
(if you are into that kind of thing)

edit ok i wont

edit 3 how can i tell your serious threads from your non serious threads and also, can i post in your serious threads if my posts are serious posts :confused:

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I'm banning you from all the serious threads I make runoutofsleep. Please don't post here anymore.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
ultimately it comes down to how much ram it can support if you are having 3.5GB or more of RAM you will need a 64-bit operating system. Apparently windows 7 is going to be last windows operating system with a 32 bit operating system
Most processors now except for older pentium 4's and atom's can handle 64 bit.

Apparently if you have the RAM 64 bit is also slightly faster

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yea 3.5gigs of ram or more can be fully utilised with a 64-bit OS.

also, a 64-bit cpu can be used to its fullest potential too.

i guess it depends on what you wanna use ur computer for, whether you'd need more than 3.5gigs of ram and a 64bit compatible CPU.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, but shitload of games and stuff that arent compatible/screws up on 64-bit. Not sure if this is the case with windows 7, may have been resolved, I'd recommend having a look first though.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i had crysis on my windows vista ultimate 32-bit, now i got it on my windows 7 pro 64-bit, and i can easily say that while the graphics settings are the same, it loads a hell of a lot quicker.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think from my IST days 64 bits means the computer processes in 64 bit blocks or something similar.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
maximum addressable memory space

OK GOSH

Which makes some mathematical stuff (Where they would have to use 32 bit integers, etc) faster

OK GOSH

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Az if you play games or massive multimedia projects, got for 64bit.

xceL

HSC
No real down side to 64bit as it supports for than 3.5 gig of ram and can run 32bit applications... So go 64 bit as pretty much all new processors are 64bit since like, a year ago..

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
64 bit is good but you have to be a bit careful when chosing it because there are a lot of older programs that won't run on a 64 bit OS. 64 bit drivers are no problem, just make sure you have them. Not all hardware has 64 bit drivers being written for it so be careful what you choose.

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
heard that win7 32 bit has an option to utilise 4 gigs of ram, or something. not too sure.

But yeah, using 64 bit Win7 Pro. It's going pretty well. Even with Vista, I had no issues.
Just make sure your hardware and anything else has 64 bit drivers to accomodate them.

Xc3llerator

HSC
N/A
64 Bit FTW. Hands down... 32 bit is the past and current... 64 bit is the current and future...

User of Vista Ultimate 64 Bit. - 4GB ram, ALL my programs run fine, Never had a single problem relating to 64 bit OS. All my games run on it. Old games that are 32 Bit only, my computer will just automatically install them in the X86 programs folder, and they run fine...

More bits, the faster data travels through buslines etc, therefore a faster user experience. :D

64 Bit is widely supported by most if not all major software developers, It is now the new standard. The only reason why 32 bit is still around is because a lot of people still have old computers (32 bit only CPUs), and MS will not force em to go out and buy new computers. Otheriwse they would become unfamous and loose alot of business...(people would proberly turn to mac lol)

64 Bit FTW!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)