4 Unit English Question-Music (1 Viewer)

Kabbasi

HSC
I'm starting Extension 2 English in a week and I was wondering about music because I am going to be making a video; is it okay to use any music that I want or are there fiddly bits like Copyrights that limit the musical inclusion to spontaneous notes from my xylophone?

Just curious.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
I'm pretty sure you'd be exempt from copyright because you're making it as part of your studies.

Here we go, look what I found when I should be studying:
www.copyright.org.au said:
The major exceptions to infringement apply to educational institutions, non-profit libraries and State, Territory
and Commonwealth governments, and where the copyright material is being used for particular purposes in a way
that is fair. For example, students can use copyright material (within limits) for their own research and study,
provided that the dealing is “fair”.
That's from http://www.copyright.org.au/information/specialinterest/G048.pdf

Wait, here's something a little more specific:
www.copyright.org.au said:
Research or study
There is no general provision that allows people to copy for personal or private use. However, the Copyright Act
does contain provisions which students may sometimes be able to rely on, including when they want to use
music and sound recordings in films and videos they make as part of a course of study.
In particular, a student may be able to deal with copyright material for research or study, provided the use is
fair. In one case, the Court considered the meaning of the words “research” and “study” and held that they have
the meanings given in the Macquarie Dictionary:
“research” – “diligent and systematic enquiry or investigation into a subject in order to discover
facts or principles”.
“study” – “1. application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation
or reflection. 2. the cultivation of a particular branch of learning, science, or art: The study of law 3.
a particular course of effort to acquire knowledge: to pursue special medical studies ...5. a thorough
examination and analysis of a particular subject ...”
An example of fair dealing for research or study may be using music in a film which is to be submitted for a
school or university project, but which you do not intend to show outside the classroom or distribute further.
However, a person making a home video or movie of a wedding or school concert could not rely on this exception.
http://www.copyright.org.au/information/specialinterest/G038.pdf

Yeah so it looks like you're fine.

EDIT: What an informative use of my 100th post :D

Last edited:

willmacka

HSC
Thanks for that- I was having the same problems in my 4Unit Eng... Very helpful... Do you know if there are any limits to how much of the song you can use..? Or is it ok to use as many and as much of it as you want?

Cerry

HSC
willmacka said:
Thanks for that- I was having the same problems in my 4Unit Eng... Very helpful... Do you know if there are any limits to how much of the song you can use..? Or is it ok to use as many and as much of it as you want?
As far as I'm aware (and I've had to research it about 3 times) you're pretty safe to use as much of as many songs as you want for educational purposes. However, you DO have to properly acknowledge them.
If you're ever unsure about it, the best thing to do is get written permission from the copyright holder (which can usually be done through the record company). If you can't find a way to do this from their site (some of them have pretty idiot proof instructions about it) email them, and ask. http://www.copyright.org.au/publications/infosheets.htm has links to all the info sheets that the Australian copyright committee have produced.

mad-triste

HSC
I didn't do a video or anything, but the people I knew who did just put a line or two in their credits on the song. Because it's not being published, released or sold, I think you're good to use anything because technically it's "private"; you're not earning any money off it.

jenchowdhury

HSC
As far as i know you're allowed to have any song or whatever in your 4u film as long as you list them as a part of your credits at the end.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
EDIT: Ahh, this work was bumped earlier - was not aware. For anyone using music and images in this subcategory; websites, multimedia etc:

Yes, credit work, Copyright Act 1968 says you can use acknowledged work for the purposes of 'research, education, criticsm or review' or something like that.

Credit everything, if possible - what they love if you send an email to the author asking permission - and put it in your Journal. That way, you are certain that you are free & clear, and if your Journal is reviewed (and the number of journals they are reviewing is growing!) it will shed a great light on your work.

While you aren't doing this commercially, its always best to credit and wherever possible let the author know. Though you don't have to, of course. I do hear that the markers - (source: 2 of our English department that share the Ext.2 class this year are HSC markers) are cracking down on copyright like never before. Be careful, and good luck.

Last edited:

lanymphet

HSC
actually, you dont even need to put the music in your credits. i'm doing a film also, and as long as you have the music referenced in your dvd/chs cover its all fine. as a student we are exempt from copyright because of our cause (to learn) =)

HSC
I spoke to an extension 2 senior marker about this. You are free to use any music in your film that you desire, however if you use any music which is copywrited and you don't have permission to use / reproduce, you cannot be selected for the showcase.

The senior marker gave us the example of a kid who's major work scored 50/50 internally and externally, they had a brilliant film, but they weren't aloud to put it into showcase because they had a song by Radiohead in their film which was copywrited.

But at the same time I'm not nessicarly sure if this is true, because I've noticed some breaches of copywrite in films in previous showcases, for example in last years showcase someone's film had a song by Arcade Fire (?) I'm pretty sure in it & in the 2005 showcase there was a film called Lacuna which had multiple sections of copywrited films.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)