4u help (1 Viewer)

Jimmay

i was wondering if ne1 knew of any 4 unit text books that help them..This is since in my class of two people (including myself) we are finding 4 unit slightly difficult and would love some extra textual assistance. At the moment we are using patel's old text book (the blue one) and the excel one (also by patel) and fitzpatrick. The problem with fitzpratick is that it's too easy and doesnt cover "everything" such as the tan5o in terms of..... while the patel ones seem a bit intimidating to us...so basically im looking for something in the middle to help me build up to....

Thnx for ur help.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I actually like the old blue Patel one. It's not very difficult and it's not so easy either. We were given that and Arnold (Cambridge). I'd have to agree with other people that Arnold is really difficult. Try Coroneus, that's supposed to be quite good.

marsesbars

Advanced Mathematics by Terry Lee might help. I haven't used it, but I've flicked through it at a bookshop and it looks very promising. There are easy questions, hard questions, strange questions (need those, they ask them in the HSC) and past HSC exam questions. Even better it's got fully worked solutions.. and some of their methods of solving problems are great (like doing partial fractions in your head). Bad thing is the book's $50 at Dymocks.

By the way, there is another thread in the Maths Extension 2 forum about textbooks, have a look there...

Last edited:

spice girl

magic mirror
Had a look at terry lee's complex #'s section. None of the questions are that complicated.

marsesbars

spice girl: I don't really know what I'm talking about with Terry Lee, because I only flicked through his textbook at a bookshop. I shouldn't talk about stuff I don't know about :)

The hard problems I saw were those about functional equations, like
find f(x) if f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)
although that isn't in the syllabus...

spice girl

magic mirror
hmm...idunno wot i'm talking about either. All I've read is the comlex #s part, and none of their problems I would consider as a Q8er.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey spice girl what text book did you use, if you didn't use terry lee?

anyway, jimmay, i think you should get cambridge and work through the examples and then when you finish the topic come back to excel and past papers...

Last edited:

spice girl

magic mirror
our skool issued arnold and the fitz

fitz is useless except the mechanics

arnold is pretty ok, has heaps of problems you'll recognise in the past catholics papers, so it's good.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spice girl
arnold is pretty ok, has heaps of problems you'll recognise in the past catholics papers, so it's good.
that because arnolds set the catholic paper for ext2

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by flyin'

that because arnolds set the catholic paper for ext2
well if u're at a skool that uses the catholic trials, it's :cool:

i normally jus get a lot of past papers to do.

doin HSC pastpapers is especially helpful. the questions are actually pretty similar to previous-years ones...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
how hard is the 4u catholic trial papers compared to the hsc??? coz i know the catholic papers for chem. hsc are hard with very awkward syllabus interpretations and hence they did not reflect the hsc as much as other trial papers did......... is this like the 4u catholic paper??:chainsaw:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
how hard is the 4u catholic trial papers compared to the hsc???
The 4U catholic trials seem to be harder than the HSC exams ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i reckon catholic trials are alot easier because almost everything is taught from the textbook and can be found there ... while in the hsc there are no set things which are tested and the exams are original ...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
i reckon catholic trials are alot easier because almost everything is taught from the textbook and can be found there ... while in the hsc there are no set things which are tested and the exams are original ...
lol. So you are saying that the catholic paper is sort of a copy-past job?

spice girl

magic mirror
well not really

both the arnold textbook and the catholic trials are written by the arnolds. I wouldn't call it plagiarism - u can't plagiarise yourself...it's rather an "advantage"

you don't see HSC maths4u writers writing textbooks...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out

lol. So you are saying that the catholic paper is sort of a copy-past job?
well not really ... but if you do every single question in the arnold textbook before your trial and revise ... and youre doing the catholic trial ... i see no reason why you wont ace the catholic paper ...

however ... there is no such textbook for hsc ... which is why in my belief the catholic paper is alot easier than the hsc paper ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)