99.95 (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
Oh so you meant you got around 80 for all the first year 12 assessments?
lmao im confused now as well.
me and velocifire thought he meant 80 avg to get 99.95 lmfao.

may22

HSC
lmao im confused now as well.
me and velocifire thought he meant 80 avg to get 99.95 lmfao.
That’s what confused me because I thought he meant redeeming his marks in year 12 🤣

Leggie

HSC
I am asking whether hypothetically I average 80 percent for the first exams then destroy the rest

may22

HSC
I am asking whether hypothetically I average 80 percent for the first exams then destroy the rest
Ahhh okay that makes sense

Look, honestly, even if you few underprepared just try your best to smash the first assessments. Then use the summer break to sort of get yourself back into a good mindset and gear yourself to do very well in every other assessment

dasfas

HSC
ye top 10 everything should get u .95 if u do well externally. but u do want sciences to be more like rank 5
Unfortunately that's still not enough. You need to rank 1st in a couple of subjects, and top 3 in the rest. Plus you need to do really well in your externals on the day.

If I averaged around 80 percent for all of my exams being 4u maths, chem, phys, bio, adv eng; would I be able to bounce back next year (do extremely well) and get a 99.95? Covid messed me up big time. Btw, my school has a really good rank.
If your school publishes your aggregate ranking at the end of each year, you could look on their website and check how many people get .95 each year in your school. I would expect it's around 3-7 each year for a top 10 school. So if you are in the top 7 of your year overall, then there is a chance.

Last edited:

dasfas

HSC
What do you mean by one off?
I just edited my answer. What I meant by one off is that if you typically perform really well (top 5) and this set of exams was just bad luck, then it would be possible to get to 99.95, albeit with you needing to grind a lot to catch up in rankings.

But if you typically score around 80%, then .95 is likely not within reach.

Regardless, that shouldn't discourage you. You have to be in the top 30-50 in the whole STATE to score that high, so even getting close to that is commendable. Additionally, unless you are going for USYD med and nothing else, you don't really get a whole lot out of getting .95.

Scoring that high takes a lot of sacrifices. Make the most of y12. I promise you, even though you may not think it now, when you are in uni, you will miss high school.

idkkdi

HSC
Unfortunately that's still not enough. You need to rank 1st in a couple of subjects, and top 3 in the rest. Plus you need to do really well in your externals on the day.

If your school publishes your aggregate ranking at the end of each year, you could look on their website and check how many people get .95 each year in your school. I would expect it's around 3-7 each year for a top 10 school. So if you are in the top 7 of your year overall, then there is a chance.
interestingly enough,
i seem to know quite a few people who didn't top 10 everything and .95ed. maths rank seemed especially unimportant to atar.

Last edited:

icycledough

HSC
Keep in mind that only around 40-50 students get a 99.95, so it definitely is an elite club of the most talented and hard-working students. Unless you go to a school like Ruse or Sydney Grammar or any other top 5ish selective school, your cohort will be lucky to even have 1 99.95. I'd be more strict and say you would want to be a dux in a MINIMUM of one subject, and not lower than around 5th in your others. Also keep in mind that most students with 99.95 do the combination of 4U, Chem, Phys, Advanced English, because of the superior scaling. That doesn't mean it's impossible without those subjects, but a good portion of the 99+ students will have done that subject selection.

tito981

HSC
Keep in mind that only around 40-50 students get a 99.95, so it definitely is an elite club of the most talented and hard-working students. Unless you go to a school like Ruse or Sydney Grammar or any other top 5ish selective school, your cohort will be lucky to even have 1 99.95. I'd be more strict and say you would want to be a dux in a MINIMUM of one subject, and not lower than around 5th in your others. Also keep in mind that most students with 99.95 do the combination of 4U, Chem, Phys, Advanced English, because of the superior scaling. That doesn't mean it's impossible without those subjects, but a good portion of the 99+ students will have done that subject selection.
i agree with this. OP remember that to get a 99.95 you need like a 97 average across your subjects, so you basically need to be top 3 in most subjects unless you go to ruse.

dasfas

HSC
i agree with this. OP remember that to get a 99.95 you need like a 97 average across your subjects, so you basically need to be top 3 in most subjects unless you go to ruse.
idk about Ruse, but at Grammar we only have 3-7 people get .95 each year, so yeah, you still need to be top 3 in most subjects.

Funnily enough, I don't think anyone doing 4U/Adv Eng/Chem/Phys got 99.95. I think the highest with that combo was 99.8. Everyone who got 99.95 did a mix of science, humanities or purely humanities.

icycledough

HSC
idk about Ruse, but at Grammar we only have 3-7 people get .95 each year, so yeah, you still need to be top 3 in most subjects.

Funnily enough, I don't think anyone doing 4U/Adv Eng/Chem/Phys got 99.95. I think the highest with that combo was 99.8. Everyone who got 99.95 did a mix of science, humanities or purely humanities.
Haha, you say only as if 3-7 people getting a .95 isn't that much.

Jojofelyx

HSC
Nah I am talking about year 12. We had year 11 yearlies this term so the exams felt like they came so quickly and I feel underprepared and stressed.
You go to a good school. It should be fine. If you do as idkkid says, phys, chem, 4u, eng adv (or maybe even extra bio), then being top 10 in everything should be good enough. You'll most likely need to know the course content fully a fair few weeks before trials (5 weeks i'd say). And from that point on its just doing every and all trial papers aiming to get 97+ raw in each by the time you hit trials. Continue that until hsc and youll be more than fine.

idkkdi

HSC

ye the stem kids at grammar seem to tank english lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)