99+ atar at a low ranked school? (1 Viewer)

mollytee

HSC
Hey guys. I go to a shitty ranked school (170-200) and I was wondering if it's possible for me to get an ATAR of 99+. I don't think my school has achieved a mark like that for years. Last year a girl got 98 with high science and extension maths subjects but the rest of the high achievers were low 90's. I'm aiming for law and I'm worried that my cohort may bring my marks down. If it matters, subjects I chose for prelim are Extension English, Economics, Modern, Legal, Business and General maths. I feel like I might not like Business (it seems a bit dry) so there's a chance I'll try changing it to either bio or Chem. I'm hoping to drop maths in year 12 and pick up extension history or extension 2 English. If it is possible for me to get a mark like that, can someone please give me advice? Thankyou :)

bangali

HSC
Absolutely, I could point you to a couple of (VCE) examples where people from schools ranked in the 300s got 99.65 or 99.70.

If you're the top of your cohort, then it's generally your exam marks alone that decide your final score. How is your school going to stop you from getting a high mark? It only takes one person for there to be an outlier, a record - just like there was a 98'er last year, why can't you be the one 99'er in 2017?

Not to say that others at better schools don't have the advantage over you. But if you start blaming everything on this, and give up without a fight, you're just keeping up that cycle. Ultimately, you decide your own performance and your school can't stop you from studying hard, studying smart, and smashing the exams.

mollytee

HSC
Absolutely, I could point you to a couple of (VCE) examples where people from schools ranked in the 300s got 99.65 or 99.70.

If you're the top of your cohort, then it's generally your exam marks alone that decide your final score. How is your school going to stop you from getting a high mark? It only takes one person for there to be an outlier, a record - just like there was a 98'er last year, why can't you be the one 99'er in 2017?

Not to say that others at better schools don't have the advantage over you. But if you start blaming everything on this, and give up without a fight, you're just keeping up that cycle. Ultimately, you decide your own performance and your school can't stop you from studying hard, studying smart, and smashing the exams.
That was really motivating. Thankyou so much :)

leehuan

HSC
It's basically all about pushing for the top, but like the above post declared if you're first in the internals your final exam is the ultimate decider anyway

Since first place is immune to moderation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flop21

HSC
That's not a shit ranked school.

Anyway, if you think your getting 99, why would your ATAR be pulled down by your cohort? Because I'm assuming you have 1st as all your ranks.

mollytee

HSC
That's not a shit ranked school.

Anyway, if you think your getting 99, why would your ATAR be pulled down by your cohort? Because I'm assuming you have 1st as all your ranks.
I'm actually starting year 11 next year and I thought weak cohort means getting dragged down even if you're doing pretty well. I'll be aiming for firsts then. Thankyou anyway :)

sourmilk

HSC
Well, if it makes you feel slightly better

My school is ranked 330 and this girl a few years ago got 99.25 as her atar and is studying Law at UNSW

axwe7

HSC
N/A
Mollytee, I, like you, also go to a school, which was, and is to be, ranked in the high 100's, bordering the 200's.

I aim to do Law at USYD...

Just wanted to say, you're not the only one out there.

Good luck to get 1st in your ranks.
Cheers.

mollytee

HSC
Mollytee, I, like you, also go to a school, which was, and is to be, ranked in the high 100's, bordering the 200's.

I aim to do Law at USYD...

Just wanted to say, you're not the only one out there.

Good luck to get 1st in your ranks.
Cheers.
Thanks so much. Good luck!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Even when my school was ranked in the 500s (where it was for about 4 years in the mid-2000s) we usually had someone over 98 and even over 99.

As a school now around the 150 - 300 ranks (now seems to vary across that range annually) we get someone over 99 most years.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Lol my school is ranked 500+. Highest atar was 99.7. School is no barrier - only that you don't have a safety net if you stuff up the actual hsc exams/don't do as well.

Also for law, unsw has very generous bonus points for being first in your school.

Edit: school currently ranked 500 plus, my cohort was in 100-200 range so its possibl when we had about 5 people get 98 plus. But the average was still the same.

Last edited:

mollytee

HSC
Lol my school is ranked 500+. Highest atar was 99.7. School is no barrier - only that you don't have a safety net if you stuff up the actual hsc exams/don't do as well.

Also for law, unsw has very generous bonus points for being first in your school.

Edit: school currently ranked 500 plus, my cohort was in 100-200 range so its possibl when we had about 5 people get 98 plus. But the average was still the same.
Thanks. Sounds good.

And are you talking about the AAA scholarship? That was the closest to bonus points I could find.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Thanks. Sounds good.

And are you talking about the AAA scholarship? That was the closest to bonus points I could find.
Yeah AAA scholarship. It was 5 points before but heard it changed to 3. Still exceptionally generous.

DLMisme

HSC
Lol, if you think that's a bad rank you should come to my 500+ ranked school where we have a success rate of less than 1%. It can be done though, during my time at high school there were 2 girls who managed to get an ATAR of 90+.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It takes just one individual to make a significant difference.

You can be the individual to achieve 99+!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)