A simple question.... (1 Viewer)

palmisland

HSC
N/A
hi, ok...well i got my UAI and it was shocking.... : 65.65
i really wanted to do civil engineering at UNSW or UTS, is there anyway i can still do the course, without having to go to tafe, or 'insearch' for UTS.....

thanks

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You may have to try transferring from another degree into civil engineering...

On a second note, by the looks of your UAI (I'm not doubting your intelligence here..), will you be able to cope with civil engineering?

I'm only saying this because I have a friend from last year who got 99.90 and he finds civil engineering at UNSW quite difficult (apparently, the UAI is low for the engineering courses because of their difficulty though I obviously wouldn't know from experience.)

palmisland

HSC
N/A
u might here this alot, but i screwed up in the HSC, i didnt comprehend the difficulty of the hsc, i took it as a joke. with me....if i like something and enjoy it, most likely i would succeed in it..

whats the degree that can be transferred to civil engineering, i highly doubt there is one....if anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated

thanks

iPud

HSC
What's wrong with TAFE? You can do engineering at TAFE for two years doing an Advanced Diploma and receive exemptions at university, depending on which university you apply for.

Don't waste your time doing some half interesting course at university in the hope of transfering. Do what you love, whether it's at university or TAFE.

dude01

HSC
Put UTS civil engineering as your first preference - you actually might get in despite the 'advertised' cutoff. My mate got in UTS engineering last year with a uai more than 10 points below the cutoff, without any special consideration or anything. I don't see why UTS bullshits about their cutoffs... because it's actually really low for engineering, but they don't want to admit it.

mimiian

HSC
palmisland said:
hi, ok...well i got my UAI and it was shocking.... : 65.65
i really wanted to do civil engineering at UNSW or UTS, is there anyway i can still do the course, without having to go to tafe, or 'insearch' for UTS.....

thanks
To give u some hope, i am going to tell u a real story. one of my friends got a UAI of 68.xx and was desperate to get into any course at any uni. one of her preference was civil & environmental enginerring at UTS in spite the fact that the cut-off was way above her UAI.

guess what happened, they accepted her. yep, they did. when she told us, we were all like: wtf, did u sleep with the dean or something? i guess there wasn't enough ppl to fill in the spots so UTS just decided to accept anyone who applied, regardless of their UAI.

so you should give it a go, u might be as lucky as my friend.

and yeah, btw, i heard engineering is actually pretty tough at uni. one of my other friend got into civil engineering in UTS with a UAI of 75.xx, he was reasonably good at maths and got like band 6 for 2u maths. but yeah, he failed one of the subjects in the first semister. maybe cos he sucks at physics. he, me and one other friend used to get band 6 for physics all the time. seriously, a band 6, when u add all three of our marks together.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
First year is only tough if you're lazy about it, and you can [force yourself to] be not-lazy regardless of UAI.

You could try the apply-for-UTS-anyway idea. If that doesn't work, a UAC search tells me that there's a BE at UWS with an '06 cutoff of 60.00, or Applied Science, or Science, at UWS with 60.00 cutoff. You could transfer from any of those with really awesome marks.

If it's an issue it is worthwhile going for some sort of bridging course in maths and maybe physics (real physics, not hsc), because for example in 'intro to engineering mechanics' this year the lecturer assumed everyone was totally comfortable with basic calculus (which caused some people problems).

Last edited:

palmisland

HSC
N/A
thanks alot people, you really gave me some good insight

thanks
much appreciated

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
dude01 said:
Put UTS civil engineering as your first preference - you actually might get in despite the 'advertised' cutoff. My mate got in UTS engineering last year with a uai more than 10 points below the cutoff, without any special consideration or anything. I don't see why UTS bullshits about their cutoffs... because it's actually really low for engineering, but they don't want to admit it.
ive seen/heard alot of stories of people getting into courses way way above their cut off, as much as 13 ( uts aswell), but ive also seen about 6 at usyd, so these cut offs aint really cut off, but more of a marketing scheme imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)