actuarial exemptions (1 Viewer)

Wizjaro

HSC
I received an offer to do actuary and commerce at unsw but I am contemplating taking it as I have been advised that the format of unsw with trimesters is very tough and ends up coming in the way of internships
Yes doing trimesters is hard, however in saying that no going to UNSW does not stop you from doing Summer internships. Yes you can't do any winter ones but like very few places offer them anyway so you really aren't missing out. Just try out the trimester at UNSW and if you hate it you can always transfer but my friends seem to be doing fine so I reckon you'll be ok if you got an offer.

Voolgdognng

HSC
Are there any students here doing bachelor of commerce and actuarial studies at unsw, would love to know your recommendations on whether I should accept my unsw offer or got to Macquarie.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Are there any students here doing bachelor of commerce and actuarial studies at unsw, would love to know your recommendations on whether I should accept my unsw offer or got to Macquarie.
Both universities offer good programs, meaning that essentially you cannot go wrong with either. Perhaps you could consider other potentially relevant factors, such as program length (if you are combining the Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with another degree) at each university (for example, some students may be interested in minimising the duration of their university studies), as well as your distance and the time that you need to travel to each university.

liamkk112

HSC
from my perspective:
at least for acturial, both will have the same content since its standardised by the acturial society or whatever its called, so there shouldnt be any differences, and from what ive heard theres not much bias between unsw/macquarie in the field due to this. however here are some pros and cons for both unis:

unsw:
pros:
- slightly higher ranking (thats more research type stuff though)
- might be somewhat more internship oppurtunities given
- way more majors to pick from

cons:
- trimesters likely compress content more than macquarie
- light rail/bus commute is supposedly bad and inconsistent (depends where u live tho)

macquarie:
pros:
- content probably less compressed than unsw since theres no trimesters
- seems to have more flexibility in electives
- metro station right outside the uni (and the train line from the city is open next year so even more convenient)

cons:
- appears to be less majors than unsw
- might be a bit out of the way to commute to, at least unsw is a bit more centralised (again, depends where u live)

overall id just say pick whats more convenient to commute to, unless if u dont like trimesters like me (a few weeks extra for learning heavy subjects makes a big difference) in which case go to macquarie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)