Advice: 'At least its work..' vs 'Quit, quit now!' (1 Viewer)

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
Hey guys,

Needing a bit of advice, have chatted with mates family and all about it but still unsure..

Haven't worked since December 08 (no not fired), but got a job June 09 doing the same newsagency work that I've done casually for about three years, so I don't really need training but my interview (unpaid) went for an hour and involved me serving customers (apparently a red flag shouldve gone up at this point in time..)

On my second shift I got my pay, and its around $11/hr in comparison to my previous newsagency which was (and technically speaking) oughta be around the $18-20 mark.

Apparently the basic wage is $13 atm?

I've only done two shifts with them.
But I'm 21. Have a ute that's drinking more than me atm.
Uni student. Hate being parental dependant.

What do you reckon, happily tell the narky boss to stick it and give the dep of fair trading a call or smile and keep the dollars rolling in..?

And, will it look pretty suss on my CV if my last employer on has me two weeks and I don't use them as a contactable reference..?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
They payrate does sound a bit low.

I can't recall specifically, but off the top of my head i think the rate for a part/full-time employee is around $15-16 an hour for someone over 21 in a retail shop (which i would assume a newsagency would fall under). Casual employees get a 20% loading on top of this, but they don't get fixed working hours or unpaid leave.

They may have mistaken your age, i think $11 an hour is about the rate for an 18 year old.

Unpaid trial work is definitely illegal. Your boss might backpay you for those hours on your next payday though (or maybe they have already?). If they don't, you should follow it up.

Pace_T

HSC
Hey guys,

Needing a bit of advice, have chatted with mates family and all about it but still unsure..

Haven't worked since December 08 (no not fired), but got a job June 09 doing the same newsagency work that I've done casually for about three years, so I don't really need training but my interview (unpaid) went for an hour and involved me serving customers (apparently a red flag shouldve gone up at this point in time..)

On my second shift I got my pay, and its around $11/hr in comparison to my previous newsagency which was (and technically speaking) oughta be around the $18-20 mark.

What do you reckon, happily tell the narky boss to stick it and give the dep of fair trading a call or smile and keep the dollars rolling in..?

And, will it look pretty suss on my CV if my last employer on has me two weeks and I don't use them as a contactable reference..?

dont put this job on your CV then you moron

haylz234

HSC
i work in a newsagency, im 18 and the pay is roughly $14 per hour.

if they're not paying you the award, then thats pretty much illegal, but unpaid training occurs a lot because most won't say anything about it, hence why it continues.

when i trained people, they had to six hours unpaid training. it was horrible.

lol, just emit that from your resume. the point of a resume is to put you in the best light ... so leave that bit out?

quik.

HSC
Call whoever you need to call and ask about the pay rate regarding your age

If it's low, speak to your boss about it, they may just be taking you for a ride as you aren't speaking up. So speak up.

If your employer gets shifty over the situation, and your parents don't mind helping you out till you find something new, I would jump ship. It's nice to be independent but being under thumb for a pittance is lame as fuck, especially if it's an illegally low pittance.

As mentioned above, don't place the job on your resume if you leave. It's two weeks with a (potentially) shifty employer, it doesn't matter and no employer in the future will care.

R1NA92

HSC
Hey guys,

i think the first thing u shud do is approach your boss. and see what he has to say, believe me when i say i know how unapproachable employers can be.
just tell him that you think you should be getting so and so rate, and that it doesn't compare.
This only being your second shift, and seeing that you're already unhappy. I'll put it out there and say you'll end up hating your job.
As for records on your CV, if you have a justifiable reason for leaving; (with the issue of being underpaid) - i think your future employers would think you're silly for staying.

Goodluck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)