Advice for going into Year 12 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello everyone. As Year 12 is beginning starting from next term, I am beginning to have numerous curiosities because I am really pressured. Many people say to me ''this is a really stressful moment and you cannot relax even during your holidays until you have finished your HSC. This moment will be like death for you''. This is what is stressing me out.Like I feel upset and not good that I have to go through such a burden and can't have much free time, according to what others are saying. What should I do? I don't wanna end up being too stressed out because of what people are saying because that will affect my mental health severely. Anyone have any advice? I would appreciate any help I get. I always have pessimistic feelings when thinking about exams and everything in Year 12 as it will all count towards my final mark. What should I do? Should I agree with the statement many are telling me?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
First thing you can do is relax. Even if it is true that "it is a really stressful moment and you can not relax and you must grind till you die etc", you're not going to get anything done when your stressed and anxious. Take a break for a while and just relax, go watch netflix or perhaps play a video game for the next couple of days (If you know you won't get easily addicted to them) - just stop studying for a bit in a nutshell, you don't want to get burnt out

I'm in the same situation as you but I haven't gotten advice like that at all, its just been - continue working at the same pace as you were and start to put more effort in throughout your holidays. Hopefully someone who has gone through the HSC or is Year 12 as of now can provide sufficient advice since I can not comment on that aspect.

specificagent1

HSC
it's a lie that you won't have any time for a break. You will always have work to do and always more things to do but if you are able to effectively organise your routine and stay on top of things you can obviously add break times in between and break times are very important. Apart from that, take it a step at a time

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
People over exaggerate things most of time whenever they are describing their experience. It's to just reiterate you need to work hard, rather than literally meaning you won't even have time to sleep or have some amount of free time. It is true your free time won't be as much as before, but then again 1 year of hard work to get into the degree you desire vs trying to do transfers at uni later, it is worth some amount of sacrifice. Yes you will have to work hard and at times it will be stressful when exams and assessments are occurring, but it's not like a constant flow of work you can't manage. You have on average 1 assessment per subject per term in a 2-3 week block. The rest is doing school work, homework and extra study such as making notes or working through exam paper questions. To not be as stressed during the 2-3 week blocks when assessments and exams occur, consistent study outside of this is necessary. This entails during a few hours of work after school and having some breaks, and on weekends doing 3-6 hours a day with breaks in between depending on what level of ATAR you are aiming for. That way you will be well prepared for the exams. This is opposed to you slacked off during the term, did very little preparation other than the bare minimum of school homework and then 2 weeks before the assessments you realise you don't think you will get a good mark and as a result try to cram everything in a short period of time. This is where you will encounter the stressful aspect as it will most likely lead to lack of sleep and burn out because you are trying to a terms worth of work or more in like 1/5 of the time.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello everyone. As Year 12 is beginning starting from next term, I am beginning to have numerous curiosities because I am really pressured. Many people say to me ''this is a really stressful moment and you cannot relax even during your holidays until you have finished your HSC. This moment will be like death for you''. This is what is stressing me out.Like I feel upset and not good that I have to go through such a burden and can't have much free time, according to what others are saying. What should I do? I don't wanna end up being too stressed out because of what people are saying because that will affect my mental health severely. Anyone have any advice? I would appreciate any help I get. I always have pessimistic feelings when thinking about exams and everything in Year 12 as it will all count towards my final mark. What should I do? Should I agree with the statement many are telling me?
A bit off topic but your pfp is extremely jarring lmao.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
in terms of workload, the difference between year 11 and year 12 is actually barely noticeable. yr 12 just happens to be the year that "counts" so yes you need to study a bit harder but not necessarily give up your free time, hobbies, family and friends, health and sanity, in fact making too many of these sacrifices is harmful to performance. the people scaring you and making yr 12 seem like something that takes years off your life are being dramatic asf lol, you'll be totally fine. personally yr 11/12 were the best years of school for me even though they were objectively the hardest, because despite all the studying, stress and mental breakdowns, some of my best life memories come from these years. so pls my guy calm down it's not a life/death situation at all, just do your best and do it how you always have. good luck!

nourished.

HSC
Should I agree with the statement many are telling me?
No.

Sure, HSC will be tough. And there'll be times that you'll be stressed. But, I promise you that it's not a grind day-in and day-out. If you can manage 2 hours of study everyday, give or take, you'll be fine. This will leave you a few hours every day to hang with friends or just chill out by yourself. It's not as gruelling as everyone makes it out to be. Just remember that your studies will NOT fail you.

anishaprasad

HSC
i thought the same but these replies have made me feel better. thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)