advice from teachers. THE SHIPPING NEWS!! (1 Viewer)

emma lasker

HSC
hey guys,
Im after any opinions or advice you have been told from your teachers about the shipping news. I was recently told by my teacher that independent thought in extension 1 was NOT appreciated and wouldnt get you extra marks. All throughout high school we have been told that independent thought is always a very good thing and that markers liked to see that we are thinking for ourselves rather than regurgitating everything back.
My class mates and I wanted to explore the issue of the child sex abuse and Petals obsession with sex, but my teacher (who is kinda old) has said that its too subjective and not to even go there.
So i have conflicting perspectives from my advanced and extension teachers.
please help!

asian-girl

HSC
Isn’t the topic about “Navigating the Global”?

Independent thought is appreciated in all English courses, BUT I have to agree with your teacher. The elective is “Navigating the Global”, so to focus on child sex abuse and Petal’s obsession with sex, is kind of like going off on a tangent. Yes, I’m sure that you can somehow relate it to ‘Navigating the Global’, but you’ll have much more to say if you focus on stuff like the economic paradigms and the local-global relationship explored in the book.

The issue of child sex abuse is very sensitive, and yes, subjective, and I would suggest you avoid it. For example, in creative writing, sensitive subjects like abuse and suicide have to expertly written to not sound heavy-handed, fake or too cliché.

Trust me, you will get much better marks if you focus more on globalisation, than sex, since there are several schools of thought and philosophies that can be related to it, giving your essay much more depth.

If you’ve got other questions about it, PM me, since I did do this topic (and the book).

Good luck!

Monsterman

HSC
Find aspects of how the global impinges upon the local.... find the paradigms and how it has impacted on Quoyle or someone like Tert Card.. Look at how the people try to maintain their inherit local values and how they deal with globalisation...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)