Advice needed: Subject dropping (1 Viewer)

JemmaJ2020

HSC
Calling all experts, teachers or people who have done the hsc before :)
So i am in year 11.5 (class of 2023) and am having a really hard time figuring out one subject to drop...

I am currently doing 12 units and wish to drop to 10.
My ranks are based on my year 11 marks.

Here are my subjects:

1. Math Standard. Ranked 16/32. I don't enjoy applying the maths haha but I enjoy the class :)

2. English Advanced. Ranked 8/17. Love english.

3. Visual Arts. Ranker 2/12 (I have the capability to come 1st) I loveee art and have already got my major work well under way.

4. Modern History. Ranked 2/9 (also have the capability to come 1st) Great teacher, good class.

5. Legal Studies. Ranked 3/9. Good teacher (she knows her stuff well) fairly good class, i find it quite interesting.

6. Society and Culture: 1/7. I like the subject, yet the class is de-moralising and the teacher has never taken a class into the hsc before :/ the PIP feels like a huge job and i have also heard SAC doesn't scale well...?

7. If I do both SAC and Art, i'll have 2 majors which is quite daunting as my time management skills are lacking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!!!

carrotsss

HSC
2 main things to consider
- Is maths standard a prerequisite for any uni courses you are considering
- Which subject do you enjoy more? In my opinion this is the most important one, as you will do better and put more effort into a subject you enjoy.

Also don’t worry about scaling, the point of scaling is basically that effort in = ATAR out, doing well in a low scaling subject is almost always better than failing a high scaling subject.

sharonbrown249

HSC
From a teachers perspective-There is no need to drop subjects - your 12 units looks a good range and by all accounts you are either doing well or enjoying them. There is always a “backup” in case you get an exam that you “bomb”. You already have your major Art project in hand so it’s well on the way, which equals good time management. There is often a great degree of maturity of students between yr 11 and yr 12 and the understanding of what is required to succeed is more apparent and achieveable. You have 12 months of your schooling left, embrace it, run with it and enjoy it 😊

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)