Aeneid Translations (1 Viewer)

Sastrawan

HSC
Calling everyone who's doing Virgil for the 2008 HSC - does anyone know of any good English translations?

My school prescribed David West's prose translation, which is compotent enough, but I reckon it's a bit flat emotionally and quite dry in places. I had a look at some old school verse translations, and the language is a bit archaic at times, but on the whole they seem to me to be more faithful to the spirit of the Aeneid. Anyway, what do other people think? Has anyone found a translation that really works for them?

nymphae

HSC
Uni Grad
We're still working through Ad Urbe at the moment, so I haven't been actively looking for Virgil...

BUT:

Have you checked the Perseus project? Mostly their translations are pretty good to check out. Alternately, there's the eBooks on Project Gutenberg that aren't too bad either.

It's been a while since I checked it out as well, but from what I remember The Vergil Project is pretty good too - at least, I think it has interactive text to assist in translation [[but, like I said, it's been a while and it might not be up for Book VIII]]

Have a scout around on the net and see what you can find.

In terms of the printed word, however, my class/school uses the Penguin Classics copies of the text [[various translators over the years]]. Apparently, the LOEB ones are quite accurate and quite good to have a look through, too.

Hope this helps =]

Last edited:

iluvGG

HSC
Yeah, my school uses the West's Penguin Book translations too. But i really like LOEB's translation. Usually, i mix and match a lot of different translations and try to make the best one I can. :)

Ippius

HSC
Sastrawan asking for translations?! Dude...You're better than me at Latin...You don't need it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)