Al Jazeera not in Australia :( (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerhard

HSC
http://www.crikey.com.au/Media/20061116-Fox-blocks-Al-Jazeera-downunder.html

Why you won't see Al-Jazeera on Foxtel By media commentator, festival organiser and satellite geek Marcus Westbury

Australians with satellite pay TV are entitled to feel a little duped this morning – and not just those who paid out $50 to watch Anthony Mundine beat up that Argentinean. Al-Jazeera International (AJI), the English language service of the controversial Doha based broadcaster, was launched around the world last night but while it was live and free to air on the Optus C1 satellite neither Foxtel nor Austar allowed their subscribers to watch.

Had AJI been visible, over half a million Foxtel and Austar homes could have seen Al-Jazeera International’s experienced correspondents cope with a live tsunami alert from Japan, while crossing to live reporters in rarely seen places such as the Palestinian territories (and Israel), Darfur, Somalia, The Congo, Brazil, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe. Despite its ramifications, Britney’s divorce didn’t rate a mention.

Since it launched a decade ago, presidents, mullahs, dictators, kings and emirs have largely failed to silence Al-Jazeera despite occasionally resorting to bombing or banning it. But in Australia, the Sun King has used the unparalleled control he holds over Australian set top boxes to make it disappear.
Nigel Parsons, the head of Al-Jazeera International, flagged his concerns about Foxtel’s effective monopoly and lack of regulatory oversight to the ABC last year. While AJI were having difficulties getting the network shown in other markets, Australia was cited as a uniquely difficult case:

[T]here are monopolies in place and unlike in the UK where we cannot be denied access to a cable platforms (sic) by law because that goes against the monopoly law in the UK, in Australia you can be blocked and so Australia's quite a difficult market to get access to … If, for example, one of those cable networks [Foxtel or Optus] turned around and said, "No, we refuse to carry you", they can do that. They can't do that in the UK.

Foxtel didn’t officially resort to “we refuse to carry you”. Instead The Age was given the pseudo-technical explanation that showing AJI was impossible because the system was “running at capacity” and there simply wasn’t any room. This is despite the fact that the Optus C1 satellite was already showing a promotional channel for Al-Jazeera International at the time.

Since it launched at 11pm last night, viewers with their own set top boxes have been watching AJI – casting serious doubts on Foxtel’s claims about capacity. Both Foxtel and Austar’s set top boxes are programmed to only show services authorised by them – a privilege that they have not extended to Al-Jazeera. With your own receiver and the right details, AJI – for the time being at least – is readily available and free from a Foxtel or Austar dish.

In the UK Murdoch’s Sky TV set top boxes allow access to over to 120 independent channels offering up news, variations of the BBC and ITV, music videos, 24 hour phone-in quizzes, religious broadcasting and even a channel called “Bad Movies”. They vary in quality but are all free to air and rely on a combination of advertising, 1900 numbers, commercial sponsors, and state broadcasters for revenue. In the spirit of media diversity, the only two free to air channels that Foxtel allows through its set top boxes are the home shopping channels Expo and TVSN.

Foxtel Spokeswoman Rebecca Melkman told Crikey this afternoon that she was not aware that Al-Jazeera was broadcasting on their satellite but that Foxtel is a closed subscription system that chooses which channels appear on its platform. She emphasised that Foxtel has an access regime approved by the ACCC and that Al-Jazeera could apply for access as the racing network TVN has recently done.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
there should be a diversity of opinion on ptv...but then again it is FOXtel.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Who the hell wants al-JaArab on Australian TV? Do they have national nine news in the middle east?
u would be surprised..wat they have in the middle east...

its better to have it, than not have it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If people want Al Jazeera they'll choose Optus over Foxtel, what's the big deal? If I submitted a home cooking network to Foxtel and they said no, would anyone care? Why any different for the Terrorist News Network?

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Al Jazeera is a good channel. It's probably the most advnced news channel all over the world, maybe after BBC world. It's not controlled by a government.

Al Jazeera offers unbiased news reporting from a wide range of views. People who are bagging it are scared of it because it's set in Qatar and it's main language is Arabic, and the occasional terrorist video is shown on there (for news purposes, not anything else).

turtleface

HSC
I would like to watch Al Jazeera. I'd like to see why it was banned in Iraq by the Iraq government (read: U.S. government)

Geez theres quite a bit of hypocrisy. China gets bagged for banning stuff like wikipedia and any other unbiased information/news source, and people complain (rightly so), but its all ok when Al Jazeera is banned in Iraq by the U.S.

gerhard

HSC
OMG GUYS AL JAZEERA IS A TERRORIST! THEY SHOW VIDEOS OF TERRORISTS JUSTIFYING THEY ACTIONS! WHO CARES IF ALL THE AMERICAN NEWS CHANNELS ALSO SHOWED THE SAME CLIPS/ terrOORISTS

i watched al jazeera when i was in europe. they had some story about iraq. it was ok. i cant speak arabic though so i have no idea what was going on.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Al-Jazeera ? How much more fucktard leftist can you get? I mean there is enough leftist pandering on the BBC and CNN as its is, who the hell wants a terrorist news network anyway?

Retards.

HSC
gerhard said:
OMG GUYS AL JAZEERA IS A TERRORIST! THEY SHOW VIDEOS OF TERRORISTS JUSTIFYING THEY ACTIONS! WHO CARES IF ALL THE AMERICAN NEWS CHANNELS ALSO SHOWED THE SAME CLIPS/ terrOORISTS

i watched al jazeera when i was in europe. they had some story about iraq. it was ok. i cant speak arabic though so i have no idea what was going on.
lol, why watch it when you dont understand whats going on?

I swear my whole family had the arabic version on like pretty much 24/7 during the Israel v Lebanon war and they kept showing dead bodies, even in their commercials it was all dead people...it was scary and sad :(

but other than that, its the best news network. And they have these interviews with everyone. Yes they broadcast all that terrorist stuff, but it all ends up on the english news, so i dont think its that bad. Besides they dont agree with anyone, they allow their veiwers to see exactly whats going on around the world.

Last edited:

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
bshoc said:
Al-Jazeera ? How much more fucktard leftist can you get? I mean there is enough leftist pandering on the BBC and CNN as its is, who the hell wants a terrorist news network anyway?

Retards.
Can you please explain to me how it's a terrorist news network?? Because they show videos of terrorists? SBS, ABC, 7, 9, 10 show the same videos. ZOMG TERRORIST NEWS CHANNEL 10!!

Some people shouldn't even bother typing when they've got NFI what they're on about.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
politik said:
Another fucking moron. Have a read into the history of Al-Jazeera before you throw your polemical shit over this thread. Al-Jazeera is the best opportunity for the Western World to be informed about the issues that are happening in the Middle East. It's SBS without that Asian Anchor.
You're right, Al-Jazeera is potentially very conducive to Mid East - Western Relations, assuming its headquaters around the middle east are burning to the ground after a US surgical strike. There are a few good examples of truly unbiased and fair news orgs in the middle east, Al-Jazeera is about as far as you can get from that.

A channels' viewership can tell you alot about the channel itself, for example FNC 's vieweship is 75% Republican, I'll leave the interpretation up to you for this one:

http://terrorism.about.com/b/a/000015.htm

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
onebytwo said:
US surgical strike?
you mean US terrorist attack, right?
Dear everyone in this thread,
You have consumer power. Use it, switch to Optus, and make Foxtel regret their decision.
Sincerely,
The only rational thought in this thread.

otay

HSC
withoutaface said:
Dear everyone in this thread,
You have consumer power. Use it, switch to Optus, and make Foxtel regret their decision.
Sincerely,
The only rational thought in this thread.
Haha yeah. Coz Optus having Al-habib tv and Foxtel not allowing it really will influence my decision. The fact that Foxtel's sport shits on Optus' means nothing. I agree with your first post mate. What's the big deal. Foxtel doesn't have to show whatever it doesn't wanna.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
otay said:
Haha yeah. Coz Optus having Al-habib tv and Foxtel not allowing it really will influence my decision. The fact that Foxtel's sport shits on Optus' means nothing. I agree with your first post mate. What's the big deal. Foxtel doesn't have to show whatever it doesn't wanna.
What is al-habib tv?

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
Al Jazeera?
He should have called it by it's actual name. It's not like Middle-Easterners go around substituting Australian things for the word "crikey" in Qatar.

otay

HSC
Martyno1 said:
He should have called it by it's actual name. It's not like Middle-Easterners go around substituting Australian things for the word "crikey" in Qatar.
Maybe not in Qatar (I've never been, have you?) but in various other countries around the world which I've been to (including Middle-Eastern ones) they do precisely this. It's not always 'crikey', it may be 'gday' or just simply 'kangaroo'. But they associate a word or phrase with Australia. I don't get offended. Just thought I'd clarify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)