All values of x issue (1 Viewer)

HSC

It's domain is all real values of x. Since I want to save time, I used different signs to show "all values of x" and i got marked down

Do i HAVE to state the word REAL? in the sentence: all real values of x.

I used: My teacher goes, this does not represent real x values - therefore i got marked down.

My teacher said to use: - i cant latex it properly but its meant to mean all real values of x

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

It's domain is all real values of x. Since I want to save time, I used different signs to show "all values of x" and i got marked down

I used: My teacher goes, this does not represent real x values - therefore i got marked down.

My teacher said to use: - i cant latex it properly but its meant to mean all real values of x
If for anything the first notation is more correct. The second notation represents for all x belonging to the integer set. You should write this.

For conditional values, (not in this case but for other cases if it has some condition:

Or you could use the semi-colon, instead of the stroke '|'

"This reads x belongs to the set of real values such that x is greater than 1."

Last edited:

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I would say assuming that you're not doing the HSC and there is no assesment marks which carry on for your HSC. Just say to yourself ok I didn't adhere to the techers convetion therefore I lost a mark and get on with it. I mean you probably might have a case to argue but at the end of the day as a year 10 student its probably in your best interests to not piss off the teacher over one mark. But to each their own I guess.
Good luck with your studies though mate.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Well, you should use real. That upside down A and then x means 'for all x'. But what can x be? You haven't said.

Also Z is the set of integers. You're looking for 'R'. But that's like... uni level stuff.

For you, just write "for all real x" or whatever. No need with this fancy schmancy set notation yet!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Well, you should use real. That upside down A and then x means 'for all x'. But what can x be? You haven't said.

Also Z is the set of integers. You're looking for 'R'. But that's like... uni level stuff.

For you, just write "for all real x" or whatever. No need with this fancy schmancy set notation yet!
R is used in high school though.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Using

is incorrect here. Should be R.

Also, personally, I always teach my students to write the mathematical notation, as it saves time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)