Am I gonna fail this unit [MATH1111] (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
Seriously I don't know what to do, this stupid required math crap is killing me. I'm doing intro to calc which is the lowest math thing available. I got a C on my assignment, and that was with the help of my private math tutor.Without him I know I would have failed. In my mid sem test, I got 7 / 15, failed by 1 mark. I wasn't surprised at my mark, I actually estimated round 7 but I am disappointed and feeling hopeless. I get tutored for 1 hour a week, I think I need more but can't afford it. My tutor is extremely helpful. Yet I think it's just me, I'm very slow at math, I missed out on a LOT of fundamental stuff in high school (long story) and lack lots of basic knowledge. As I said I learn a lot from my tutor but it never seems enough, when I get to doing an actual question I have almost no idea what to do. Sometimes I'll know how to start off, but then it gets too complex. I try to practice, a lot, but again it always just gets to a point where I can't figure it out, I look it up, I refer to notes from my tutor, lecture notes, tutorial notes, but it's just too much for me. And I still need to do 6 more CP of maths :'( What do I do?? If I continue at this rate will I fail and have to repeat?? Should I drop out of uni :'( :'( :'(

hungry

HSC

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I didn't know how to do it. :/ I guessed half of the questions, but they were educated guesses. It was multiple choice, so I kinda tried to see what I already knew, which answers were obviously wrong etc. Also I'm at usyd, your link is for students at UNSW >.< thanks though
Maybe try discuss some things with people in your tute/friends. I thought the MATH1902 assignment was impossible until i googled some stuff and then got some ideas from others.

hungry

HSC
This. Should help you out a lot.
Maybe try discuss some things with people in your tute/friends. I thought the MATH1902 assignment was impossible until i googled some stuff and then got some ideas from others.

I don't have friends in that tute because I'm kinda shy and awkward, plus everyone seems to already have formed friendships there so I feel kinda weird if I try to make friends in the last few weeks haha. But I think I will try, if I can get the courage to approach someone, because I considered this as well. I do think it would help a lot.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't know how to do it. :/ I guessed half of the questions, but they were educated guesses. It was multiple choice, so I kinda tried to see what I already knew, which answers were obviously wrong etc. Also I'm at usyd, your link is for students at UNSW >.< thanks though

Sorry didn't look at the sub forum it was under..
USYD probably has a similar program..
http://sydney.edu.au/stuserv/maths_learning_centre/

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
If maths really is a problem for you, then you can always transfer to a Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science, where there is no mathematics requirement, and you can pretty much study what you are now with a few extra Arts electives. Or you could look at transferring to a Bachelor of Science at another university that doesn't have compulsory maths.

Otherwise you'll just have to grit your teeth and get through it. There's still plenty of marks left to be awarded, and you have plenty of time to turn things around.

Silly Sausage

HSC
I don't know... The OP is doing MATH1111, which you can't do if you've done math in the HSC. So they should be eligible to use the MLC?
You can't do MATH1111 if you've done calculus in the HSC, which is 2U +.
I was kicked out of it because although I met some of the criteria, my 2U score was deemed too high to be eligible.

They make you do a mini interview before you can use the MLC.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I was kicked out of it because although I met some of the criteria, my 2U score was deemed too high to be eligible.

Probably because you did 2U?... OP shouldn't have much problem seeing as she didn't do senior maths in HS.

But really, they're not going to let someone into a 6CP math course that is already familiar with Calculus. The requirement clearly states, "This unit of study is not open to students who have done HSC Mathematics, HSC Mathematics Extension 1 or HSC Mathematics Extension 2 (or equivalent)."

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Meanwhile I can at mq just walk up to the maths support centre any time I want (if its open)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)