ancient history exams (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i think anceint history is the most tardy examinations as there is a great load of paper in which you choose only 4 questions out of 70+ questions. well some tips that i would like to pass on in examinations is:

- during reading time fold over the pages with the question you will answer. i recomend you to not rip it out as it wastes time, and there is a chance that you may accidentally rip the questions up. you will be feeling a bit stupid when you ask for another, due to that reason.

- when dealing with sources in the structured answer section make sure that you plan out your responses to make sure that you get all the marks that are needed. i recommend that you write them either on your examination booklet or on the question sheet. it helps you clear your head as to know what you must write. plus it gets easier to write your responses as you can merely elaborate. therefore with planning you can create solid information in your answers while filling length.

- do not panic, and you must set out a strategy before you go into the examination room. that is tackling your weakest or strongest module first.

perferbly you should answer the structured response first and the personalites. then you can choose which module after that.

here is an example page from my hsc question booklet.

good luck guys for next year. i hope these tips were useful.

well thats what i could think of...

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
A - asy, can u move this to the general ancient history threads plz
B - if u dont wanna fold pages over, i took in coloured post-its
C - in my exams i did my essay Q's first so i could concentrate, and i enjoyd them so i knew id do well in them and they gave me some confidence, also you need to remember aand focus more on these Q's coz theie longer
D- But befre i did anything, as soon as readin time was over i wrote out on the first pg of eaCH question answer booklet thing a little mind map of what id write with quotes etc. So i could then just focus on each question as i came to it and knew what i wantd to say.

Nice job wrong_turn, anyone else have some helpful tips?

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
angelduck said:
also you need to remember aand focus more on these Q's coz theie longer
Each section is equally weighted and requires the same amount of focus in terms of time...

But yes. I would not only make a mind map, but make a plan that you will hit chronologically.

I wouldn't plan every section at the beginning of the exam, but do it when you hit each section. If you're worried about forgetting something, sure write it down, but don't do it otherwise.

If you forget something or get a mental block, don't do the 'just leave it' thing. I'd prefer to see a vague comment than no comment, personally. That being said, I prefer evidence, but Info + Evidence > Info > Vague comment > nothing...

Also, do not underline when it's not necessary, do not highlight, do not use different pen colours, do not write 'Thankyou, Have a nice day! :) :)' or 'i forgot all my info because my teacher sucks and my parents got split up and i feel sick and i had my period last night'. None of them are impressive to markers.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
man u guys took the test the suckers way...

what i did was i went to any pages that applied to me, and tore them out

so i ended up with about 6 a4 peices of paper on my desk, i only had to choose between section 3 and 4 so i cut it down to abotu 4 peices of paper[ i did this all in my reading time]

and there u go! a test that only applies to you...saves heaps of time with flicking through stuff, i dumped the rest on the floor and when i finished a section i chucked that down there aswell, so on the final section i had a single sheet left and my writting booklet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)