Ancient Sources relating to Persia: (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I'm trying to get a collection of sources I can use for Persia. So far I am aware of:
Herodotus - The Histories.
Xenophon - Anabasis / Cyropaedia

Is there anything else?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Is this in reference to Persian society at the time of Darius and Xerxes?
Are you just looking for Ancient Sources? Or also archaeological and secondary sources?

In terms of Primary Ancient Sources, along with the sources you have suggested, there are:
- Plutarch: 'Lives'.
- Ctesias: 'Persica'.
- Aechylus: 'Persae'.

There's also quite the plethora of secondary sources and also archaeologoical evidence that could be used for this topic as well. n_n I know in particular the Cameron and Lawless publishment entitled 'studies in Ancient Persia' is a very decent text. (Though, this was more so for interest studies rather than HSC purposes).

Fake-Name

HSC
That's exactly what I'm after. Thanks.
I plan to read up on the works of the ancients during this two week holiday, I have recently finished Herodotus' Histories and Xenophon's Cyropaedia, so I will give those a try!

I actually own the studies in Ancient Persia textbook, although I hate referencing archaeological discoveries, mainly because I find it harder to use to reinforce my argument that something I can actually quote. I'll have to start getting into that though.

Thanks for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)