• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

" & " and " and " (1 Viewer)

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
This kinda a noob question, but my question is can you use "&" instead of writing out the whole word of "and" during HSC exams. Do they take marks off u if you use "&"?

I find use "&" to be more efficient, eps. for my subjects such as Modern History and English

Muz4PM

HSC
Nasonex said:
This kinda a noob question, but my question is can you use "&" instead of writing out the whole word of "and" during HSC exams. Do they take marks off u if you use "&"?

I find use "&" to be more efficient, eps. for my subjects such as Modern History and English
I am not sure, but I wouldn't do it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, back in Year 8, my teacher put a line through the exam because I wrote and using the ampersand instead of the word itself. Never used it again.

That was in English though, I'm not sure whether or not that would apply to other subjects. I wouldn't risk it though.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Nasonex said:

As an English teacher I would advise against it

You do not use the ampersand (&), abbreviations or write numbers as numbers (in English - its OK in Mod. Hist)) in formal essays. Everything is written in full.

check your private email for more information

leoyh

mic`
HSC
it probably is allowed, but its best to avoid any abbreviations or symbols as such. in a sense, it disrupts the flow of your essay/extended response and that can severely put markers off. imagine an essay filled with a certain abbreviation e.g. ER for exchange rates, and the examiner having to keep flicking back to know what it is. serverely distracts them from your essay and really puts em off

BackCountrySnow

HSC
the only time do it is when i write 'goods & services' in economics.
other then that i'm pretty sure i just use 'and'

Zrap

glock9
HSC
I do it(&) all the time in adv english, but i even it out with and.

C

calcunt

i do a little flowly plus sign in everything bar essays, never abbreviate anything in english.

HSC
My english teacher was actually talking about this awhile ago.
He said it is allowed, but personally he wouldn't advise using it.
According to him it takes just as long to form the '&' as it does to write the three letters.
In my opinion it looks better writing the word instead of using the ampersand especially for things like formal essays. I do however, use it in other subjects like business studies.

Muz4PM

HSC
I use plus signs when taking notes, I was never any good at writing the ampersand. However, in essays I make sure that I use 'and' and don't use abreviations. I think if you break it up with too many abreviations and symbols then it loses flow.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
When i first read this thread, i was thinking wow, this sounds stupid.

Just did economics homework, wrote s&d like 50 times.

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
i have read band 5/6 answers where they use &

I doubt you will get marked down for it at all

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
~aussiegirl!~ said:
i have read band 5/6 answers where they use &

I doubt you will get marked down for it at all
Band 6 at your school, or HSC band 6.

Because some schools wouldn't care much.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Band 6 at your school, or HSC band 6.

Because some schools wouldn't care much.
No, schools usually use HSC marking guidelines and they are supposed to do that to make the system (internal school system, that is) fair and just.

The difficulty of exams would vary of course, however, the marking guidelines/systems remain similar throughout the whole state.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I've never used it in an exam and I don't intend to. They may mark strictly on spelling, punctuation and grammar, so taking any short cut is a risk in itself.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
I've never used it in an exam and I don't intend to. They may mark strictly on spelling, punctuation and grammar, so taking any short cut is a risk in itself.
Nor have I. It's not that I don't like to, it's just that I cann't write &. Whenever, I try to write it, it looks like 8.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
lyounamu said:
No, schools usually use HSC marking guidelines and they are supposed to do that to make the system (internal school system, that is) fair and just.

The difficulty of exams would vary of course, however, the marking guidelines/systems remain similar throughout the whole state.
They usually..

At my school, im sure they would over look it, depending on the marker.

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
It was a HSC Band 5/6 answer

The 2004 English Advanced paper in section 2 it was an Essay on King Lear and the person who was given a band 5/6 used & and she still got the marks.

You're not going to get marked down for spelling .. a whole heap of people at school spelt rhinoceros wrong in their half yearlies and were not marked down for infact english

its not a spelling test its an exam and we are human we make mistakes and it takes too much time to scribble it out, i don't think markers are going to mark you down if you spell something wrong as long as you have the content and they are able to work out what you are really saying.

Check out the ARC website for examples of student answers
http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP02_15140/

dpospination

HSC
In any essay, especially for Engish subjects, i think that and should always be used, and in general, always in English. in ur Scince, humanities i dont think it will matter. i have never used it and never will, prett much cause i can not write it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)