Animal and Veterinary Bioscience (1 Viewer)

mel4dan

Hey everyone,

Ive been seriously considering doing a Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience next year. Does anyone know how this compares to the Bachelor of Veterinary Science and what is involved in the courses; are they enjoyable; what campuses; anything interesting etc etc....

Ive already checked out the website but I want to know what people actually think of BAnVetBioSc...

Emma_Kate

HSC
Hey,

I'm hoping to do Vet and USYD next year, and I did consider BAnVetBioSc, but after going to the open day last year, I decided not to. Mainly because I want to be a vet, and not an animal scientist, which I think separates the two courses.

The best advice I can offer you is email or ring USYD and ask, and go to the open day. They explain the differences very well at the open day but basically from what I have gathered, the Veterinary science degree qualifies you to practice as a veterinarian, however the BAnVetBioSc does not. Some info I got from the uni describes animal and vet biosciences as "applied science degree blending a basic science foundation with fields specific to animal science."

The UAI for BAnVetBioSc is a lot lower (85.45) with Veterinary science at 98.5.
I know for Vet you study at both the city (Camperdown) and Camden campuses. My understanding for BAnVetBioSc is that you also study at both, but with more time spent at the city campus. I am sure that if you love animals and science you would find both courses enjoyable!

I hoped that helped! I think it just depends on what you actually want to do, either be a veterinarian, or animal scientist and do research etc.

If you need anything else, I am glad to help! I've wanted to be a Vet since I was 5 so I have info and research on all the courses to do with animals in Australia and New Zealand! So if you do need help, just PM or post here!

..:''ooo

HSC
Like the person said above, Bachelor of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience does not give you the qualification to be a vet in a clinic. This does not mean you don't work in the veterinary field, but you are just not qualified to work as a doctor in a clinic.

In my opinion, if you are looking more towards the research side of a veterinary career, BanVetBioSc would be a better choice, because they focus more on the science and it is a shorter course (not sure but it should be 1, 2 years shorter).

Also, this is what I realised from going to uni. They treat BVSc students better than BAnVetBioSc. I can't explain how or why because it's just my opinion, but I just felt it strongly from the whole faculty. You just have a bunch of angry students in BAnVetBioSc who could not get into BVSc because they missed the UAI for BVSc.

I suggest you read the book 'Careers in Veterinary Medicine' by Jane Caryl Duncan. It really helps

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
^from above: A BVSc is allowed to perform surgery where as if you have the BAnVetBioSci you arent and are mainly looking at a researching career. the BAnVetBioSci just seems like a glorified science degree.
Alot of the BAnVetBioSci students i know have complained about the course because when it first started it was more ag focused than animal focused. I do know that the faculty has taken into account the suggestions/complaints the students have made but im not sure if the course has changed. I do know also that they have rearranged the course a bit. The old BAnimalScience was worse off than the BAnVetBioSci imo because it was predominantly run under the Ag Faculty. The BAnVetBioSci is 50% Vet faculty run.
BAnVetBioSci is reaesrahc directed and i know they push for it too. ALOT of the students who are in this course didnt make the cut for vet and are hoping to do a transfer-which is unfortunate because the faculty make it out as if the transfer is easy. Hence alot of people are unhappy with the course being not "animal" directed.

Butterfly.

HSC
Yea ive also been thinking about doing it. I dont want to be a vet so doing the actual Veterinary Science course would just be waste.. plus I wont get the marks lol.
I mainly want to work in the research side and I know that what I want to do I can do by doing the Animal and Veterinary Bioscience course. But yeah im not too sure. I guess I will just wait until the Open Day.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Hey, come see me on Open day, i'll be at the Science Rd Stall, i'm a 3rd year vet student who transfered into vet from the old Animal Science Degree. I can answer any of your questions on the day! ( and if i dont know the answer i can direct you to where it find it).
26th August, 9:30am - 4:30pm.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Mambomeg said:
Hey, come see me on Open day, i'll be at the Science Rd Stall, i'm a 3rd year vet student who transfered into vet from the old Animal Science Degree. I can answer any of your questions on the day! ( and if i dont know the answer i can direct you to where it find it).
26th August, 9:30am - 4:30pm.
What's the vet lscience ike?!??!?!

And how hard was it to transfer?

I might come to the open day...i really want to become a vet lol...i reckon i cld attain the marks to get in fee paying...

mel4dan

yeah i think i will go to the open day to find out more. i want to do a more researched based career in animals but then i want qualifications that are going to get me a decent job...

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i agree with damage Inc. if you want to work with animals, this is NOT the course for you. so you either get into vet sc or don't do animal based science degree at all. b.An.Vet.Bio.Sc is a total waste of time and hecs money. it's totally production based, totally agriculture and farm focused, its just useless. ask anyone.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
ari89 said:
What's the vet lscience ike?!??!?!

And how hard was it to transfer?

I might come to the open day...i really want to become a vet lol...i reckon i cld attain the marks to get in fee paying...
Imo, your best bet in getting into vet is ace-ing the hsc to get a hecs place.
fee places arent exactly cheap and alot of students will struggle to find and income that will support such fees balanced with their own expenditures.
i think it is alot harder than what the faculty makes it out to be. it is extremely competitive to get a transferred hecs spot. you need a D average to be considered and on top of that your STAT score ideally needs to be in the 95th percentile or above (i know people who got 90th percentile and still didnt get offered a spot despite a D average, and some who got 99th percentile and got in)
Damage Inc. said:
Do NOT do this course.

I know from experience.
Maybe you have too high expectations....
rnitya_25 said:
it's totally production based, totally agriculture and farm focused, its just useless. ask anyone.
Production animals are not a waste of time. What do you expect from an animal science degree, bearing in mind that production animal industries is what plays a vital role in generating income?

Last edited:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
kimmeh said:
Production animals are not a waste of time. What do you expect from an animal science degree, bearing in mind that production animal industries is what plays a vital role in generating income?
I totally agree. The reality is, people are stingy, even rich people dont want to spend lots of money on their pets. and if they did have to spend a lot of money on their pet, they're not exactly going to be willing to shell out a whole lot of cash to fund genetic research etc, which is what animal scientists do.

The funding for research comes from animal production companies and organisations like Meat and Livestock Australia, and Dairy Farmers, not from things like the Pug breeding society. (well, a breeding society might fund specific research for their breed, but in reality, the funding is minimal)

If you want to work directly with pet animals, you either need to become a vet, or forget the degree and become a vet nurse, animal attendant or run a doggy day care etc. Getting work where you get paid fto be hands on with pets is tough because people dont want to spend a lot of money on their pets.

And even as a vet, its not all cuddling animals all day, remember, the vet is the one the animals hate, the vet nurses are the ones that do the playing, walking, comforting and giving treats.

If you're not interested in Agriculture, genetic research, wildlife research or research in general, then probably the B AnVetBioSci is not for you. Unfortunately, there's very few courses on offer for people who miss out on Vet and arent interested in production animals.

But dont forget you can always make your own pathway to working with animals, perhaps do Psychology and become and animal behaviouralist, or become a policeman and work with the mounties, or Guide Dogs, or Riding for the Disabled etc. There are other options, you just have to think outside the square a bit.

..:''ooo

HSC
i once talked to a girl that transfered from BAnVetBiosc to BVSc. i asked "so how was the other course?" she kept shaking her head for 5 minutes looking extremely pissed off and did not talk to me after that

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Tell me, what would you expect from a course which labels itself Animal and Veterinary Bioscience?
You dont sign yourself up for a hecs debt all in favour for a label. You read the course outline/subjects/electives which are invovled in the degree as a whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)