Any Bonders? (1 Viewer)

Broodchuck

HSC
Sure am! I mean, it's not 'going' in 2006 anymore, more like 'am here' in 2006 :D
And I think we like to be called 'Bondies', not 'Bonders', although the latter does have a nice inclusive tone to it.
Are you coming, or are you already here?

s_kisses

HSC
My bf is at Bond doing commerce/law, we're doing the long distance r'ship thing.. I visit the Gold Coast quite a bit..

BuNdYgAl

HSC
Hey jst thought i'd ask averyone out there wat bond uni is like cause i am currently doin my HSC and am interested in Bond and have heard a lot of good things about it

however, with the good comes the bad and i have also heard that is a uni based more on money to get in rather than actual academic talent. i am considering a cummunications/education course and would be grateful for any opinions any one can give me about the uni
thanks

CanuckGirlsRock

HSC
N/A
Hey, I'm a Canadian girl who has applied to do an MBA at Bond next year. Not so sure what I'm getting myself into yet. Anyone where have some experience with Bond?

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
omg i really wanted to go to Bond...its sooooo beautiful...the nicest looking uni ive seen in aus so far :p

and most of the courses only go for 2 yrs...thats like half the time of wat im doing at Macq...psh

HSC
BuNdYgAl said:
however, with the good comes the bad and i have also heard that is a uni based more on money to get in rather than actual academic talent. i am considering a cummunications/education course and would be grateful for any opinions any one can give me about the uni
thanks
hahah yeah, that's pretty much it. a lot of bond students think they're so much better than everyone who goes to griffith, but it's like "yeah, we're doing the same course .. the cutoff for your was 10 uai points lower, and you're paying three times as much. good one"

*sasha*

HSC
ohh.. but say u get the UAI required and plan on paying as much as u would anywhere else u would be able to get in right? coz i wanna go there!

$a®e

HSC
yeah, u'll get in...bond is surprisingly a bit more focused on ur marks then u think..and if ur marks arent good enuff they put u on provisional enrolment until u prove urself there.

freejk

HSC
um

i'm a international student who's at Griffith studying business

i'm thinkin to move to Bond to study law next semester

i don't see Bond university in the university rank list. why is that

and is Bond better than Griffith ??

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
I currently go to Bond University studying Film & Television... I graduated from high school in Sydney in 2003, and have spread my degree across 2 and a half years... As a film school I highly recommend Bond -- there are, obviously, issues... But these issues have been addressed by a new Faculty head.

I am currently doing my graduation film "Heart's Atlantis" -- check it out: http://heartsatlantis.maddogz.com.au ! Shows you can come a long way from studying art, drama, IPT, standard english and general maths...

So yeah, film students should definitely check out the University as a lot of high quality HD production is coming out at the moment...

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
cmaddogz said:
I currently go to Bond University studying Film & Television...
hey there!
when are you graduating?!?!?!
can you give us some insight of what the course is like there...probably going in 2007

Last edited:

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Heya...

I just finished - graduating ceremony in Jan 07...

The course is cool and has gotten way better since i first started @ bond... Lots of changes -- a new head of faculty who is pretty cool and if ur good to the uni, they'll be good back to you... If you already are pretty proficient in terms of technical, you can do great things @ Bond... If u are going there to start from scratch, I think u'll have some hard work ahead in the first few semesters... I suggest doing only 3 subjects a semester, instead of the suggested 4... Taking 3 subjects makes it a bit crusier and u can spend more time focusing on those subjects (derrrr maddogz) haha...

There are some really cool subjects like Music Video Production, Experimental cinema, Digital Effects.... Just make the most of the course - produce as much content as possible and most of all -- LISTEN... If you LISTEN and LEARN and RESPECT the lecturers (well most of them), you can go a long way at Bond... As soon as you earn respect and a good name, the Uni will help you out...

All I can say is DO IT... If you want to study Film & TV, DO IT... There are endless possibilites... Plus there is a new Post Graduate course in Production coming in 07/08 (Scriptwriting in 07, Directing/Producing/Cinematography/Production Design coming in 08)... Essentially, Bond is going to become the first university in Australia to produce a Feature Film every year... The post-grad students will be the main production team... Pretty cool (if it all works out)...

So yeah... Dunno what else to say... Hope this helped!

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
cmaddogz said:
Essentially, Bond is going to become the first university in Australia to produce a Feature Film every year... The post-grad students will be the main production team... Pretty cool (if it all works out)...

So yeah... Dunno what else to say... Hope this helped!
Hey was wondering about stuff like, do they help you a lot with career advising as said on their site with the "#1 in average salary" or something along those lines

also, are there many part time jobs in the area of film and television up there near Bond (if not, what about other jobs)?
would be cool working as something like a junior position while studying :D

owww and hows accomodation? worth the $$$ for on campus? from what I read most of the newer people do that instead of moving out...

arrr and also with the production, do you get to choose what area of film you specifically want to study? (e.g. directing, editing, etc)
if so, is that what you will be positioned at during a major work (i.e. feature length)

i think thats about it for now...thanks!!!
by the way, have you seen the BUFTA stuff this year

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
In terms of career advising, you gotta remember a few things... a) You're in Australia, b) You're trying to get into the Australian Film Industry, and c) The Australian Film Industry is pretty pathetic... However, Bond does hold the #1 salaray position for graduates... Mainly because the business/medicine/law faculties all get paid out tha ass... They bring the ranking up...

There is work in FIlm N Tv up here - but you wouldn't get anything better than an internship... Other jobs - there is plenty... Just apply, apply, apply....

Accomodation... Hmm, I moved from Sydney up here and live off campus... Living on-campus you make heaps of friends in a really short time (from what I could tell)... I'm not too sure of the cost of living on campus or off campus sorry.... Like you say, most new ppl live on campus - some then move out... I'd suggest that... Oh, and GET A CAR - VITAL! You'll need to move equipment and shit... However the Goldie is pretty small, and the area aroung Bond has everything you'll need. The new Varsity Lakes area is always expanding and is only going to get better...

In terms of production, this new "streamlining" is being brought in... And essentailly that means you choose a specific position (sound/editing/production design/director/producer/cinematographer), and your elective subjects will be key to you growing in that position. I'd suggest having an idea of what you want to do before you start, but if not, you will grow into it... For example, I started at Bond wanting to be an editor, then I wanted to direct, now I'm keen to produce and do my digital post prod stuff.... The feature length program is only for POST-GRADUATES... But this streamlining idea will transcend into your major works (mainly Screen Production 2 and Screen Production 3/4 -- these are classes where you work in groups of 4 (producer/director/cinematographer/production designer) and then the rest of the class/film school become the rest of your crew... You produce a 7 minute (approx) film in SP2 and a 10-12 minute short for SP3/4... Essentailly SP3/4 is your calling card to get into the industry (one of the first things you'll learn at Bond is how hard it is to make it in the Film Industry)... Take a look at my SP 3/4 film Heart's Atlantis: http://heartsatlantis.maddogz.com.au

Yeah, I saw all the BUFTA stuff from this year - I actually help organise it... Did you enter?

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
cmaddogz said:
You produce a 7 minute (approx) film in SP2 and a 10-12 minute short for SP3/4... Essentailly SP3/4 is your calling card to get into the industry (one of the first things you'll learn at Bond is how hard it is to make it in the Film Industry)...

Yeah, I saw all the BUFTA stuff from this year - I actually help organise it... Did you enter?
Cool thanks a lot for that, now got a better idea of what to expect from the course.
However one more thing is: how long are the semesters, and how long are the breaks in between....and what happens during the breaks are people forced to leave the uni even if living on campus?????

and yeah i entered bufta

Last edited:

beccci

HSC
hey
im contemplating doing journalism at either bond or griffith
anyone doing journalism at bond who could sway me that it would be better than griffith??

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I'm pretty interested in Bond's Film and Television degree. UTS offers a Media Arts and Production course that also sounds awesome. Which one do you think would better prepare you for a career in the industry? (I'm interested in producing/scriptwriting/editing/possibly directing)

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
Jachie said:
I'm pretty interested in Bond's Film and Television degree. UTS offers a Media Arts and Production course that also sounds awesome. Which one do you think would better prepare you for a career in the industry? (I'm interested in producing/scriptwriting/editing/possibly directing)
well last time i went to bond, it had some pretty fkn impressive facilities and some of the films i viewed while there were VERY good
that being said, it is expensive as and you'll need to like fly all the way up there for 2 years and all...

and isnt UTS's course like some ridiculous UAI like 94.1 or something?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
cbadvanced said:
well last time i went to bond, it had some pretty fkn impressive facilities and some of the films i viewed while there were VERY good
that being said, it is expensive as and you'll need to like fly all the way up there for 2 years and all...

and isnt UTS's course like some ridiculous UAI like 94.1 or something?
lol. Yes, I am aware of where Bond University is located and the fact it's a private institution. And yes, UTS has a very high UAI because its qualifications are so well-regarded by the industry. I was wondering if Bond had anywhere near the same reputation. When you say the films you viewed while there were good, are you talking about student-produced films?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)