Any Latin students out there? (1 Viewer)

abalia

HSC
I never seem to see any topics about Latin. So, how's everybody (anybody) finding it in Year 11? Much different from Year 10? What textbook does everyone use? What are you studying? What tips and tricks have you picked up from the senior course so far? (a million questions, heh). I'm finding that I forget a lot of the vocab and the grammar now that we don't have a textbook of exercises, and finding harder to keep on top of. The stylistic analysis, devices, etc, are also very different... Also, is anyone going to the Trinity Latin dinner? We're having a bit of a dilemma about what to go as in class at the moment. The weirdest idea so far has to be going as columns. Second-weirdest would be deponents (have no idea where that one came from).

ubiami

HSC
Finding it quite a bit harder now for the same reason; no convenient textbook to work from :( also because there isn't a textbook with translations in it, the words aren't all so similar anymore, if you get my gist.

We're going to the dinner, but our school (St George Girls') isn't a big one for costumes lol.

abalia

HSC
I have no idea how we would go as deponents.
We're going as Neoterics now, apparently.

Really? I heard you were going. My intelligence must be bad. (girls' school rumour mill :K)

Our teacher writes her own textbooks, which is really good for the poems/analysis. But we don't have one for grammar anymore, hence the being lost and forgetting things. And my essay responses to poems have been looking like a scribbling pad. Apparently it gets better in Year 12 (I hope).

I'll look out for St. George there. :)

nymphae

HSC
Uni Grad
ubiami said:
Finding it quite a bit harder now for the same reason; no convenient textbook to work from :( also because there isn't a textbook with translations in it, the words aren't all so similar anymore, if you get my gist.

We're going to the dinner, but our school (St George Girls') isn't a big one for costumes lol.
Also, year 12 isn't allowed to go. Because the teacher hates us.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Sometime in Y11...Latin stopped about being able to translate without help; and about memorising translations.
Which sucks.

iluvGG

HSC
u-borat said:
Sometime in Y11...Latin stopped about being able to translate without help; and about memorising translations.
Which sucks.
yes. definitely agree there.
commentary is going to kill me. as well as the extended response about heros and livy's style which we aren't even taught in class!!

i definitely agree that not using a text book makes you forget vocab. i know like no vocab, which makes unseens EXTREMELY difficult!!

good luck studying for trials everyone. :)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
iluvGG said:
yes. definitely agree there.
commentary is going to kill me. as well as the extended response about heros and livy's style which we aren't even taught in class!!

i definitely agree that not using a text book makes you forget vocab. i know like no vocab, which makes unseens EXTREMELY difficult!!

good luck studying for trials everyone. :)
i know aye...all we do in class is translation.

in terms of commentary...i like to remember a few quotes from livy/virgil...then also learn how to recognise language techniques like chiasmus/metonymy/asyndeton etc which are common within their writing.

then, you definitely need to know about livy's style and his purpose for writing etc....our teacher gave us some pretty solid notes on that kidna stuff...if anyone needs anything like that pm me....

i do alright in unseens because i'm usually aight at guessing wats going on. and lots of words are stuck in my head that i can recognise in the context...but if you gave it to me singularly, i'd have no clue.

good luck with trials too.

how can you 'choose' to do latin in year10/11/12? it'd be exceptionally hard to pick up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)