any1 receive actuarial coop interview offer? (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
fitz33 said:
there was a new place because suncorp came on as a sponsor (met with them today)..BUT, the place has already been filled by a girl who was on the shortlist from the original interviews. these interviews now are to extend the shortlist in case anyone happens to drop out (or get kicked out!) in the future.
if its who i think it is, thats awesome. she wanted it so much. congrats to her.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MuSaRuRWa said:
2 reaons one could leave the program

1. they dont perform well enough and get kicked out. this is the more likely cause, because actl is a hard degree

2. someone who really really wanted to do com/law might give up the co op if they can make it into law at the end of first yr ...
when u say that they dont perform well, wat mark range do u think would justify them leaving the program? like just a CR average?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i think you need a credit average to keep the coop.

MuSaRuRWa

a cr average and no fails. by no fails, i mean a person could have a cr average with 1 FL and 3 HDs, but that isnt acceptable for a co op.

fitz33

HSC
as well as having a CR avg, you also have to get credits in every exemption subject
from what i've heard it isnt uncommon for a couple of ppl to leave coop over the 4 years

maniacguy

Not quite. A co-op who misses a credit in one exemption subject will usually have a semester to recoup it at the institute exams. I don't think the same applies if they miss two, but am not sure about that.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
maniacguy said:
Not quite. A co-op who misses a credit in one exemption subject will usually have a semester to recoup it at the institute exams. I don't think the same applies if they miss two, but am not sure about that.
How often does it happen for a coop to get ejected out of the program?

maniacguy

I'm not sure how often co-ops get thrown out of the program. Happens very rarely - to my knowledge only 2 or 3 people have left the program from my year, and at least two of those were people who decided they wanted to do other programs (1 in the US, the other leaving actuarial by choice after deciding it wasn't for him).

Incidentally, how many second year actuarial students from UNSW are there on this forum?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
maniacguy said:
I'm not sure how often co-ops get thrown out of the program. Happens very rarely - to my knowledge only 2 or 3 people have left the program from my year, and at least two of those were people who decided they wanted to do other programs (1 in the US, the other leaving actuarial by choice after deciding it wasn't for him).

Incidentally, how many second year actuarial students from UNSW are there on this forum?
btw how many ppl do they keep on the shortlist? is being on the shortlist pretty ptless?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
it wasnt for the person who filled up that extra spot.

MuSaRuRWa

flyin' said:
I suspect 2 and a 1/2.
i'm not a 1/2 if thats what ure refering to :p

i think its just myself and mill, dont think there's anyone else.
i remember we had a vacancy in our yr too around wk 10, dunno what happened after that ...

kaseita

yea i'm still around - just not around too often nowadays. life is busy :)

aspect used to be around, but donno now.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
btw is the shortlist for coops in a predetermined order (ie, from the first person put on the shortlist - say from the pre-uni interviews, to the last person, etc, etc) or is it just a pool of possible candidates from which a person is picked from to fill the vacancy contingent on their academic results to date? (ie, their performance over the degree)

fitz33

HSC
dont quote me on this, but im pretty sure its more of a pool

xing

HSC
it's an ordered shortlist, so everyone on it is ranked. too bad u'll never know where u are on the list =P

aspect

kaseita said:
yea i'm still around - just not around too often nowadays. life is busy :)

aspect used to be around, but donno now.
^_^

i lurk many forums

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)