Anyone do or want to do journalism? (1 Viewer)

leeamja

HSC
Just wondering, just to see where people go or want to go!

Acid

HSC
I'm actually a freelance journalist at the moment, but ironically i'm studying commerce. The type of stuff I write you're probably not interest in though - mainly technology and games.

HSC
For what publications? I want to do journalism but I don't think I'll be able to get the marks to do it at UTS or USyd seeing as how I stuffed up my half yearlies

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
yeh, PM braindrainedash............she's on the journalism path and probably knows the most about it on this forum

Acid

HSC
Trippendicular said:
For what publications?
Straight from my resume, here are the print publications i've written for in the past:

Sydney Morning Herald
The Australian
Atomic: Maximum Power Computing
PCPowerPlay
PCGameZone
Hyper
APC
PCGamesAddict (currently hardware editor there)
Official Australian Xbox Magazine (currently do a monthly column there and the occasional game review)

I've done some online stuff too, but you get the point....

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'd actually recommend CSU, which has a pretty impressive alumni as opposed to UTS, which would be the only uni to offer any kind of competition when it comes journos. CSU also has a great name for communications, and alot more industry links than UTS. It doesn't really use the UAI as entrance criteria, you have essays and such that you need to write. Also have the opportunity to combine it with a few other degrees.

Moreover, the social life at CSU beats any uni in Sydney, especially UTS - which I'm told is hell boring. You get to live on campus - at Bathurst if you're doing print - away from home which is absolutley amazing - It's recommend it to anyone. The people are alot nicer than Sydney. Talk to Bex, she's a 3rd year Journo at CSU

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
My career's advisor last yr told me Macquarie was the best uni for journalism. Or was it psychology ? Can't remember. I chose UWS over Macq cos of the travelling... right now I'm doing BSoSci psychology but aiming to transfer to BComm to do journalism later.

Rory

HSC
I should be transferring into Journalism for 2006 and currently I'm at UC, i'll most likely stay in UC for the Journalism course.

Last edited:
HSC
im a first year PR student at CSU, and some of my friends who do journo say its good, but fair bit of work.

but then again, u cant argue with the reputation when you look at the people who have come out of the course, as well as the fact that its very highly valued in the industry.

Last edited:

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
I didn't know CSU and UTS were best for journo.. they're both too far for me >.<

S

Shuter

I've never known anyone as saying UTS was too far for anyone in the greater sydney region, hell you could even go there from newcastle or wollongong.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Does anyone know how Journalism/Laws at UTS is?
:)

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Live on campus mate! It's the best experience ever :D
My parents are tightasses! i was considering external study but i'd hate not having the uni social life as i do now..

Shuter said:
I've never known anyone as saying UTS was too far for anyone in the greater sydney region, hell you could even go there from newcastle or wollongong.
You obviously don't know much people.
My area is pretty far from usyd, unsw, uts, mac etc. travelling would be a bitch.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Acid said:
Straight from my resume, here are the print publications i've written for in the past:

Sydney Morning Herald
The Australian
Atomic: Maximum Power Computing
PCPowerPlay
PCGameZone
Hyper
APC
PCGamesAddict (currently hardware editor there)
Official Australian Xbox Magazine (currently do a monthly column there and the occasional game review)

I've done some online stuff too, but you get the point....
Why don't you do a Comp. degree?

Acid

HSC
Curry said:
Why don't you do a Comp. degree?
Comp as in computing? Not really interested in having technology dominating ALL of my time. Also, in the industry i'm in it's much more about getting your name out there and having some experience than a degree anyway, so even if I did get a degree related to the field of journalism I want to enter it wouldn't make much difference for me...

So i'm doing Commerce as:

1. Journo's are poorly paid
2. Opens a few extra doors

:)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I study journo at UTS and lurve it! It's a cut-throat industry, the others are right.... but if you want it, you gotta chase it. Plus a journo degree is useful for heaps of other media/PR related careers, and a journo/law degree is particularly useful.

Basically, UTS and CSU are the best for journo. It depends on where you live, where you wanna live, and what marks you get as to which one you should go to. They are both very different unis, one being city and one being country, but they both have excellent industry links and repuations.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. But check out the website of both unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)