• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

anyone doing BE/BSc? (1 Viewer)

firejohnx

HSC
I am interested in science, but i dunno wat career options are for science(only research? could someone enighten me a bit on this?) so i want to do combine with engineering. Is there anyone doing BSc/BE? If so can u plz tell me wat is it like and do u have to study a lot to cover both science and engineering?
thx

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
what do u want to major in

if u do physics or maths there is a huge overlap

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's 5 years, which is only one more than a regular BE, so why not do it?

firejohnx

HSC
i am interested in medical science but wat i find here is that the career option is quite narrow, unless u go on medicine(which i think i cant do cause i am a ESL student and i suck at english). so i think combine might be a good idea. My brother is doing electrical and i want to do medical sceince combine with electrical. iam just afraid i will spend a whole lot of time studying everyday if i take combine and end up with no social life. So id like to know more about combine.
1. is it hard and tiring? or is it just ok?
2. do u have science class and engineering class at the same time? if u do, how do u solve the problem?
3. how do u cram so many things in just 5 years while nnormally it takes 8?
4. is BMedSc/BEE a good combine?
And thank you guys for answering my questions:)

rockets

HSC
N/A
I know someone who is doing eng/science at uts - mechanical/nano. timetabling can be an issue doing subjects from 2 faculties and also fitting in with the prerequisites for some subjects but so far they have managed it ok.

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
what do u want to major in

if u do physics or maths there is a huge overlap
Yeah then what do you suggest if they overlap? (honest question)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
vulgarfraction said:
Yeah then what do you suggest if they overlap? (honest question)
huh no he means that physics and maths courses take up a large portion of the engo degree. it'd be easier to major in them, but also pretty unimaginative.
kguy

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
rockets said:
I know someone who is doing eng/science at uts - mechanical/nano. timetabling can be an issue doing subjects from 2 faculties and also fitting in with the prerequisites for some subjects but so far they have managed it ok.
wow uts is pretty awesome. you can't do eng/nano at unsw.

HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
huh no he means that physics and maths courses take up a large portion of the engo degree. it'd be easier to major in them, but also pretty unimaginative.
kguy
so you might as well not do the science component or eng component?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
vulgarfraction said:
Wait, what?

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
huh? they don't take up *that* much of the degree. its just that most engineers do first year maths and first year physics (maybe chem, depending on major) and then stream off into some engo subjects in consequent years. when youre doing a double degree with maths/physics you've already completed some first year subjects.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
watatank said:
huh? they don't take up *that* much of the degree. its just that most engineers do first year maths and first year physics (maybe chem, depending on major) and then stream off into some engo subjects in consequent years. when youre doing a double degree with maths/physics you've already completed some first year subjects.
You can do maths and physics double degree at USYD w/o doing the combined course. You just transfer at the end of 2nd/3rd year into the B Sc and back again to engineering after one year.

If you're doing physics/maths I'd say do that but if you're interests lie elsewhere you can do the combined degree.

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
You can do maths and physics double degree at USYD w/o doing the combined course. You just transfer at the end of 2nd/3rd year into the B Sc and back again to engineering after one year.

If you're doing physics/maths I'd say do that but if you're interests lie elsewhere you can do the combined degree.
Wait... without doing the combined course as you just do engineering? But you're going across faculties, aren't you?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
vulgarfraction said:
Wait... without doing the combined course as you just do engineering? But you're going across faculties, aren't you?
Resolution with the engineering and science faculties.

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Resolution with the engineering and science faculties.
DAMN IT I should've researched all this before the info day. Still there's next year. Thanks..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)