anyone else agree with this? (1 Viewer)

gl

HSC
The merit or honour list is just plain stupid.. some people have already pointed out reasons why no-one wants to assemble a list that actually reflects excellence (such as to increase paper sales by way of more names), but here is my whinge...

Someone can get a UAI well within the 90's but not get band 6 for a course (i got 94 and my only band 6 was a 90 in maths lol).. and yet someone can get a uai of half that (in the 40's for those who did not get 90 j/k) but because one of their tin-pot subjects just happened to have a high number of band sixes and they get say 90 (which would then be scaled drastically down anyway) they would get on the honour roll....

to summarise my theoretical events:

A uai in the 90's and not on the honour roll
A uai in the 40's and on the honour roll

Surely common sense must prevail and the top UAI's published

kini mini

HSC
I think you misunderstand the meaning of the honour roll. As far as I can see, the honour roll seeks to recognise people who performed very well in at least one particular area. That entails counting the basket-weavers, as you said, and is why the honour roll is over 10 000 long. But it is still a valid achievement to score a band 6 - whether it is better or not than a band 5 in another subject is a diff point.

I think the All Rounders list is a more accurate version, but I fully agree it leaves out some very good students. But in the end, it is meaningless to compare marks in different subjects. How a mark in English can possibly be equated with one in Physics will alwyas be a mystery to me. It is no less meaningless, in the end, to publish names in the usual manner.

I made All Rounders and honour roll btw with 99.85...no bias I assure you.

gl

HSC
oh yeah no bias there!

No i understand the roll.. its just not a good way of recognising achievement. Especially when it is the UAI that counts, it seems silly to base the honour roll on hsc marks.

Yep, I am still trying to come to terms with the whole HSC marks thing, given that i studied very hard for physics and got 87 but economics i was sick for so didnt get much work done and got 89...go figure. Like i know all that reasoning behind band descriptions and how every course had different percentages i each band but still.....

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i suppose you're right, it's not the best representation.

...but, it is nice to look for your friends and relatives, or people you once knew on the list. i mean that's what it's there for, no-one's just going to read through the 11000-plus name list.

spice girl

magic mirror
methinks having ur name on the paper isn't a big woohoo

especially when a zillion other names are on it

so i dun really care that much if the media doesn't recognise the smarter pplz

i jus think the media doesn't know enough to appreciate it

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by saladsurgery
i suppose you're right, it's not the best representation.

...but, it is nice to look for your friends and relatives, or people you once knew on the list. i mean that's what it's there for, no-one's just going to read through the 11000-plus name list.
Yeah I was looking for all my primary school buddies I've since lost touch with :D

spice girl - The education reporters seem to know as little as the IT ones...and that's saying something :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)