Anyone else burnt out/exhausted (1 Viewer)

d1zzyohs

HSC
I am so tired
English is actually created by some evil monsters. Why cant we be like every other country,
and have just comprehension skills as the normal english course.
I do not care about Margaret Atwood, she is a terrible writer. No, 'Hag-seed' isn't good, it's terrrible.
T.S Eliot is an edge lord who just hates everything, but then realises how to get women and then becomes Anglican.

Grinder

HSC
You are just approaching everything from a pessimistic point of view. Elliot delves into some very insightful concerns associated with materialism whilst Hag-seed emphasis the need for forgiveness rather than revenge. If you think about it how many individuals are being plagued by this? I do agree that forcing students to do a creative in 30-40min is annoying, these texts offer great "advice" in life as well, only if you approach them willingly.

I am not a English nerd just doing eng adv most likely going to get a b5.
I am so tired
English is actually created by some evil monsters. Why cant we be like every other country,
I do not care about Margaret Atwood, she is a terrible writer. No, 'Hag-seed' isn't good, it's terrrible.
T.S Eliot is an edge lord who just hates everything, but then realises how to get women and then becomes Anglican.

avicidal

HSC
Honestly as a standard student it is even worse, especially when i have to do it. i felt like standard teachers literally dont give a shit, and yet we still have 40% of the hsc that is shared with the advanced cohort, whilst worrying about the impacts it has on my atar

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I am so tired
Yeah yesterday and half of today was unproductive but I am back to speed in terms of paper because maths unlike english (for me) doesn't feel like sacrificing a part of my soul per hour and just feels like an actual.. subject.

To add on your pile:
Orwell, cheers for making a better brave new world, you need to read BNW to have an appreciation for 1984
Pacino mad creepy for kissing lady anne in LFR
TS Eliot is legit just an emo in the 1920s

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I am so tired

Agreed, english is probably the only subject I haven't ever used after high school

MJRey

HSC
Personally, I loved Eliot's poetry, but I'm so glad I never have to touch Hag-Seed again. 1984 has some important concepts on totalitarian control, but it's rather depressing and the writing style was bleak in my opinion.

may22

HSC
I’m happy to never touch Great Expectations again ✋😂

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
lollll, I love BNW and it's my related for extension. Haven't read 1984 yet, though I have a copy. Is it good?
yea much better but i didnt really read it in the sense of reading moreso for analysing for common mod essays lol, IMO its not moreso the message it sends (letting the government take your rights etc.. /dangers of being in dictatorships) but the way it presents its that makes it decent.

In comparison between 1984 and BNW from my view:

The system in 1984 is just rejecting the purpose of conventional governments which is gaining power to improve the lives of their people only, so instead they decide to equally suppress everyone else, the hierarchy's pointless since everyone's lives are centred around the Party in one way or another, its just how much autonomy you sacrifice for consciousness. It's wierd and paradoxical and its not supposed to be a realistic projection moreso you're supposed to be afraid of the shared elements between such a cruel system and the normal world (propaganda, surveillance etc..)

Tbh BNW's society is fucked up relative to our society but like the motivations are understandable to adopt pure hedonism, its just foregoing purpose or value for enjoyment i.e legit just red pill vs blue pill (know the truth at the cost of your comfort or don't). Its just not explored as much as I'd like to, found it really boring since the concept here is more interesting than in 1984 but never found myself engaged with the story. Can't even remember the names of the characters except John the Savage but I know the guy in the beginning, the guy controlling the state, the girl the first guy meets and the general plot and the genetic stuff.

1984 has better execution imo but BNW has a better concept. 1984's more memorable IMO even if I wouldn't have studied as much as I did for HSC, still, has a great payoff. But I won't be picking those books up ever again, these upcoming months I'm abstaining from anything, and all things English xD

Last edited:

may22

HSC
yea much better but i didnt really read it in the sense of reading moreso for analysing for common mod essays lol, IMO its not moreso the message it sends (letting the government take your rights etc.. /dangers of being in dictatorships) but the way it presents its that makes it decent.

In comparison between 1984 and BNW from my view:

The system in 1984 is just rejecting the purpose of conventional governments which is gaining power to improve the lives of their people only, so instead they decide to equally suppress everyone else, the hierarchy's pointless since everyone's lives are centred around the Party in one way or another, its just how much autonomy you sacrifice for consciousness. It's wierd and paradoxical and its not supposed to be a realistic projection moreso you're supposed to be afraid of the shared elements between such a cruel system and the normal world (propaganda, surveillance etc..)

Tbh BNW's society is fucked up relative to our society but like the motivations are understandable to adopt pure hedonism, its just foregoing purpose or value for enjoyment i.e legit just red pill vs blue pill (know the truth at the cost of your comfort or don't). Its just not explored as much as I'd like to, found it really boring since the concept here is more interesting than in 1984 but never found myself engaged with the story. Can't even remember the names of the characters except John the Savage but I know the guy in the beginning, the guy controlling the state, the girl the first guy meets and the general plot and the genetic stuff.

1984 has better execution imo but BNW has a better concept. 1984's more memorable IMO even if I didn't study as much as I did for HSC. But I won't be picking those books up ever again, these upcoming months I'm abstaining from anything, and all things English xD
I always found BNW quite interesting tbh. Lack of emotion in the notion furthered the whole desensitisation. I read it first in year 9 and the ending left me thinking wth
But yeah, I can't speak for 1984 yet as I'm yet to read it

d1zzyohs

HSC
Personally, I loved Eliot's poetry, but I'm so glad I never have to touch Hag-Seed again. 1984 has some important concepts on totalitarian control, but it's rather depressing and the writing style was bleak in my opinion.
You are just approaching everything from a pessimistic point of view. Elliot delves into some very insightful concerns associated with materialism whilst Hag-seed emphasis the need for forgiveness rather than revenge. If you think about it how many individuals are being plagued by this? I do agree that forcing students to do a creative in 30-40min is annoying, these texts offer great "advice" in life as well, only if you approach them willingly.

I am not a English nerd just doing eng adv most likely going to get a b5.
I like T.S Eliot. He's just an edge lord, that's all. He was also likely a facist or a facist sympathiser, at the least. If you look at some of his poetry's anti-semitism, as well as his connections to multiple known facists.... then... y'know.

Margaret Atwood's 'Hag-seed' is categorically a bad book, written in bad taste by an old white woman. I mean, Shakespeare had these same progressive ideas in 1611. Noone cares that your writing a novel version of it. Seemed more like a cash grab from Hogarth then a genuine, effort-filled attempt at re-imagining 'The Tempest'. 'The Tempest' was great.

MJRey

HSC
Margaret Atwood's 'Hag-seed' is categorically a bad book, written in bad taste by an old white woman. I mean, Shakespeare had these same progressive ideas in 1611. Noone cares that your writing a novel version of it. Seemed more like a cash grab from Hogarth then a genuine, effort-filled attempt at re-imagining 'The Tempest'. 'The Tempest' was great.
Yes, exactly my thoughts. The rap songs are literally Atwood's attempt at being hip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)