Anyone enjoys Classical Music? (1 Viewer)

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
So, does anyone enjoy classical music? Or has it become a dying genre? To me, classical music does not define class or any crap like that, which is, unfortunately, what many people think; it's just a different genre in the diverse universe of music.

Anyway, to those who do enjoy it, I'm wondering who people's favourite composers and era are. I don't want to include a poll, since there are so many of them that might slip my memory.

If you can, write the reasons for your choices.

I'll start:

Best composer - Tchaikovsky. He had a knack of composing very memorable melodies using the most unthinkable of instruments to great effect (Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy is a great example). His Violin Concerto (1st movement) is my most favourite piece of music, and let's not forget his piano compositions! To me, Piano is made for the romantic era (cough*Mozart's piano compositions = massive headaches*cough).

Best era - Baroque. Even though the romantic era has excellent music, baroque still takes the cake here. Baroque pieces are mostly energetic and fast-paced, and lift up your spirits as a result, and harpsicord as basso continuo is cool! Bach and Handel are the best in this genre, IMO. Air on G-String (now, now... ;) ) and everything from Messiah come to mind when thinking of great baroque music.

I have to sadly say that modern classical music is the worst kind of music I've ever heard! Why do they have to neglect melody and focus on rythms only (cough*Rite of Spring*cough)? Or have I been listening to the wrong ones?

HSC
whats wrong with modern composers like stravinsky, vareese and zappa etc?

i think their studies of elements of music that arent normally the main focus are quite interesting.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Interesting? Undoubtedly, particularly because modern composers tend let their imaginations loose. But pleasant to the ear? That's a different story, at least for me. I like music with pleasant melody, rather than just rythms. Rite of Spring is very savage and not structured, which is deliberate, but, again, I'd rather listen to Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Handel, Bach and Rossini at my leisure time.

Not to mention modern piano pieces, which are... well, weird. Very dissonant, no structure, lack melodic value, and often screeching to the ear.

But, you know, perhaps there is a way for me to enjoy modern classical music, I just haven't found out yet. I might be missing something, hmm...

mack

Banned
HSC
"Pleasant to the ear" is subjective. Stravinsky rules. Don't be afraid to go beyond the traditional rules of harmony.

paganinio

HSC
Wesnat said:
So, does anyone enjoy classical music? Or has it become a dying genre? To me, classical music does not define class or any crap like that, which is, unfortunately, what many people think; it's just a different genre in the diverse universe of music.

Anyway, to those who do enjoy it, I'm wondering who people's favourite composers and era are. I don't want to include a poll, since there are so many of them that might slip my memory.

If you can, write the reasons for your choices.

I'll start:

Best composer - Tchaikovsky. He had a knack of composing very memorable melodies using the most unthinkable of instruments to great effect (Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy is a great example). His Violin Concerto (1st movement) is my most favourite piece of music, and let's not forget his piano compositions! To me, Piano is made for the romantic era (cough*Mozart's piano compositions = massive headaches*cough).

Best era - Baroque. Even though the romantic era has excellent music, baroque still takes the cake here. Baroque pieces are mostly energetic and fast-paced, and lift up your spirits as a result, and harpsicord as basso continuo is cool! Bach and Handel are the best in this genre, IMO. Air on G-String (now, now... ;) ) and everything from Messiah come to mind when thinking of great baroque music.

I have to sadly say that modern classical music is the worst kind of music I've ever heard! Why do they have to neglect melody and focus on rythms only (cough*Rite of Spring*cough)? Or have I been listening to the wrong ones?

well I can understand why you don't like modernism, it's way different from Baroque, classicism and romantic
my fav artist: Paganini(see my name), J.S.Bach
fav era: ....every era.

Sabbo

HSC
Yeh I enjoy classical music. Favourite composers would probably be Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, ...

Anyone watching the Vienna New Year's Day Concert on SBS this Saturday
(9:15pm)?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I dont know much about Classical music but i listened to it lots during the HSC on that community radio station thing. Like 97.9 or something. Great for studying.

Adrian.

HSC
Hi I'm a classical music newbie and I'd actually like to try and listen to some (mainly becasue I notice that the CDs only cost about $10). I do have a few questions though, the composers write the music but can more than one group of people perform it and release it on CD? Is there much difference between the different groups that perform the same piece? Also can someone recommend me some stuff to listen to.

Thank you for enligtening my trailer trash arse.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
All music is great!! Jazz and classical easily beats some shite music that are played on the radio. What i hate though, is when you see some people who say they like classical music purely just to look intelligent. My brother (music teacher) sees a number of people like that. But anyone who genuinely appreciates classical music is groovy.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Adrian. said:
Hi I'm a classical music newbie and I'd actually like to try and listen to some (mainly becasue I notice that the CDs only cost about $10). I do have a few questions though, the composers write the music but can more than one group of people perform it and release it on CD? Is there much difference between the different groups that perform the same piece? Also can someone recommend me some stuff to listen to.

I think you still need permission. Most songs are copyright even long after the composers are dead (rights might be passed onto family). So if you plan to release it on cd and make money from it, you need to ask.

I'm assuming, but i am not certain.

paganinio

HSC
Adrian. said:
Is there much difference between the different groups that perform the same piece? Also can someone recommend me some stuff to listen to.

a classical fan who has heard tons of classical music(more than 1000 hours) will say there's obvious difference between this record version and that record version of the same music work.
but for most of us, except for different Instruments, different tempo or other stuff which can be easily distinguished, there's no difference.

I suggest you find some FREE radio or download some FREE MIDI(yes, midi is very important when it comes to classical music).

paganinio

HSC
Sabbo said:
Yeh I enjoy classical music. Favourite composers would probably be Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, ...

Anyone watching the Vienna New Year's Day Concert on SBS this Saturday
(9:15pm)?
that concert is not really nice for beginners.
it's like a personal live concert, 90% of the music is written by Johann Strauss. I don't like it.

mack

Banned
HSC
I think all classical music is in the public domain, e.g You are free to play a Bach piece on your cd as long as you don't try to pass it off as your own work. Most classical musicians perform it note for note, so there won't be huge differences between different performers, unlike jazz for example where the main focus is on improvisation.

MouNtY

i like BOND....i reckon they classify as classical....i like the explosive remix....i like the usual classical music too....not really sure who composes what....just into the way that it can really change your mood if you really listen....that's what i like about it anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)