• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Anyone here went to College of Law? (1 Viewer)

dissipate

HSC
N/A
If you did, can you share your experience? I'm considering attending the College of Law then going to another country as a foreign lawyer.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing my PLT at UOW, but I have friends doing it at the College of Law too. From what they tell me it's pretty similar.

Assuming you're referring to the PLT course, the workload is pretty intense. I generally have anywhere from 2-3 assignments due every week, and these can range from simple report letters or invoices, through to full statements of claim based on multiple heads of damage.

I find that I'm well supported by the lecturers and other teachers, but I think that's because I'm doing it at UOW - we only have about ~40 people in the current course. CoL is much larger and impersonal from what I've heard, but in that respect it's like any uni - if you need help, you'd probably be able to get it.

PLT generally also has a range of practical exercices to complete, ranging from negotiations to cross examination. While these help you maintan your sanity, the preperation needed for them can't be understated!

Hope this helps. Also, as you're thinking of practising in another country, check this out if that other country happens to be in the UK.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your reply hfis!

Yow UOW's course sounds tough. Why made you choose it over CoL or any other PLT program like ANU's as well?

Yeah CoL seems more impersonal, especially since they allow people to complete most of the course, save 2 weeks (I think) online. I quite like the face-to-face element but CoL seems like the only way I can get qualified in WA doing most of the work for it overseas. What do you think?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I chose UOW because I am able to complete it as part of my degree. That means I'll be eligible for admission as soon as I graduate at the end of this year, and that the course fee is included in my HECS debt (although CoL goes on FEE-HELP, which is pretty much the same thing).

I think you'll find that all PLT programs are largely online based, as they are catered to graduates who often have to fit full time work around them. At UOW, you start each session with an intensive week (9-5 for 5 days, and lots of assignments), then from there most assignment submissions are done through a WebCT facility. We do however meet on campus in group sessions every 2-3 weeks though, usually on a Saturday. All 'court-appearance' and negotiation assessments are of course done in person also.

If you want to practice, it's a necessary evil. My advice is to just pick whatever's closer or the most cost-effective for you - in the end you learn the same things, and the only thing differentiating the various programs is more of the 'prestige' crap we all overcame in first year. If the programs weren't any good, the Law Society wouldn't accredit them.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
Alrighty, thanks for your advice hfis :)
Some of my friends look at me with disgust when I say I want to do CoL and not articles. Glad to know someone who doesn't think that way!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
dissipate said:
Alrighty, thanks for your advice hfis :)
Some of my friends look at me with disgust when I say I want to do CoL and not articles. Glad to know someone who doesn't think that way!
I personally have no issues with PLT but one of our lecturers advised against doing it because she says it provides no advantages over non-PLT graduates when applying for jobs in major law firms, and even if successful, you will still be given the same work and treated the same way as the non-PLT graduates because everyone apparently still has to learn the ropes anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)