Math Ext 1 Tutor (1 Viewer)

heiresss

HSC
I'm currently doing Math Ext 1 and struggling a bit. If I got a tutor, would it help me a lot and raise my grades?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I think it depends. If you've got the money go for it but a textbook and youtube can teach you the whole course if you really dedicate yourself, are self motivated and are somewhat alright overall at grasping concepts by yourself. I think it depends on an individual's circumstances though...

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I'm currently doing Math Ext 1 and struggling a bit. If I got a tutor, would it help me a lot and raise my grades?
It'll help you understand the content but it won't help with silly mistakes or your problem solving ability.

Also some general maths tips:

- Past papers are basically how you study, don't study using the textbook unless you forgot the content.
- Do papers from your school more importantly to see the style and if they put in past paper questions or make their own.
- If you can't do a question, write down everything the question gives you (only do this at the end of the exam) and all relevant content you know. For example, it's a series and sequences and you somehow can't do it, write down all the formulas and see if you can work with one of them.
- Skip questions you can't realise how to do quickly and come back to it.

I think learning ahead for maths doesn't really help either because when I did learn ahead I feel like it made no difference to not learning ahead. I think it's more useful for content subjects like sciences where you can make notes ahead and edit them along the way.

Last edited:

donkily

HSC
N/A
I think it depends. If you've got the money go for it but a textbook and youtube can teach you the whole course if you really dedicate yourself, are self motivated and are somewhat alright overall at grasping concepts by yourself. I think it depends on an individual's circumstances though...
i would actually suggest this

to do well in maths you should do the following (imo):

1. get ahead of peers by at least a term. you should be doing this in the school holidays and during this time you should be focusing on the easier-medium level questions so then by the time you get back to school, you can focus on the harder questions
2. do lots of practice questions. maths is a skill based subject involving problem solving requiring practice
3. ask help when you need it. you have this forum to ask as many questions as you want.
4. for the questions you struggle with/the harder question, you ask for help, understand the theory behind the question and redo that question a couple of times (or do similar questions) so then you actually understand your mistake. remember not to fall into the trick of rote learning the answer, it's tempting

Karldahemster

Student
HSC
So far ext 1 maths has been relatively simple so I'm not sure why you would need a tutor.

jjjcjjj892

HSC
i would actually suggest this

to do well in maths you should do the following (imo):

1. get ahead of peers by at least a term. you should be doing this in the school holidays and during this time you should be focusing on the easier-medium level questions so then by the time you get back to school, you can focus on the harder questions
2. do lots of practice questions. maths is a skill based subject involving problem solving requiring practice
3. ask help when you need it. you have this forum to ask as many questions as you want.
4. for the questions you struggle with/the harder question, you ask for help, understand the theory behind the question and redo that question a couple of times (or do similar questions) so then you actually understand your mistake. remember not to fall into the trick of rote learning the answer, it's tempting
100% do that number 1 step as a person that was failing term 1 of year 10 to someone who is getting 85% in math accelerated, it was this one step that changed everything, the amount of pressure that's lifted off of you when you complete the topics is amazing, I started year 11 with the preliminary knowledge done and I went through term 1 as if I was just revising, it helps a lot when understanding topics and really allows flexibility.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
hi guys, basically my school has an accelerated math program. if i get entry into it, it means in year 9 i will not only do year 9 math but year 10 math as well. in year 10 i will do year 10 math as well as math adv and math ext1. this means i will completing the hsc examinations for math adv and math ext1 in year 11. does anyone know a good tutor on BOS to get me ahead? preferably someone who is experienced and has done this program at their former school so they know how to get me ahead and give tips and stuff. i would prefer a private 1 on 1 but i wouldnt mind a small group(3-5 students). any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!!
You should have a look at imbob's post, which I'll link below. He's a James Ruse Agricultural High School graduate with a very high ATAR and very high marks in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2:

I believe that once you start studying Preliminary Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1, it would be a good idea to contact him and hopefully be able to organise lessons.

I hope this helps! 😄

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Most tutors and tutoring centres, if you let them know you're doing an accelerated program, will let you attend both your current course and the year ahead. This will mean however, that you could be paying extra to keep up with both years of content until you catch up to the accelerated program.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
If I’m not mistaken, the current and 2020’s batch of HSC students have studied the content in the new curriculum. Some of them might be offering tutoring or you could PM them to ask. It might be helpful to look through the various threads in the mathematics sections and identify those who are posting explanations that you find most helpful, to work out who might best suit you as a tutor.

richashon

HSC
Now you can find a lot of online tutors on the Internet. I've seen enough qualified ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)