Are cover letters a necessity? (1 Viewer)

ThirstyMMM

HSC
Hi all, i just have a question in regards as to whether a cover letter is needed in accompanying your resume. I'm 18 years old, committed full time to Uni and have never had a part time job before. Well i'm interested in applying for a part time position at a newly established fast food store, although not in reply to an advertisement but rather on my friends advice (who currently works there) who informed me i should try and apply as there will most probably be positions available because it's quite a popular and busy store.

I've previously applied at other stores, mainly in retail, but to no avail and in these situations i didn't use a cover letter. Although, seeing as though i just casually gave them my resume, without the guarentee that any positions will be available, i half expected not to recieve a reply.

So in relation to the current job i am applying for at this fast food store, should i attach a cover letter or just walk in, ask to speak to the manager and thus state my interests in applying for a part time position and just hand in my resume and hope for a reply?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say it's better to have one than to not have one. Even if it's a very short blurb or bit of crap introducing yourself; it sounds better than just shoving your resume in the hands of the manager. Besides, what harm can it do to include a generic cover letter?

alby

cool duckie
HSC
they arent a necessity, but imo taking the time to write up a cover letter tells them that you're not just some random handing in resumes all over the place in search of a job - you actually care about it

even if its not that long or detailed, it still makes yours stand out amongst the tonne of regular resumes they'd probably get. they often wont want to read a massively long resume, so by giving the cover letter you're saying 'this is me, i'm interested, and if you like me, read on' (and they're usually more likely to read on).

sarevok

HSC
for a fast food store, i would not use a cover-letter

G

Gavvvvvin

Nah you wont need one for a fast food store. Just go in and talk to the manager.

mserica

HSC
It depends on the position you apply for, I work in Human Resources and if you dont have a cover letter for a position then your not even considered for the job.

however having worked in HR within a retail chain - a cover letter wasnt required but those who had one we intereviewed first as they showed more interest.

Best of Luck

spillargroove

HSC
For jobs that you know clearly that one won't be required, then you obviously don't need one. But it is always good to write one up because your competing against other people for the certain amount of available positions so you need to do all you can. It shows you have more interest and you actually want the job. I haven't been successful for a while now and that's because no matter what, retail needs/prefers people with experience. So I applied in the hospilality section and I got a call today for an interview some time later this month. I added a cover letter and I am sure it helped me to a degree.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
For a crappy fast food part time job? nah i wouldnt bother

dont make your resume over 1 page either because they wont want to waste their time reading it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree. For a fast food job there's no need for a huge resume. Just something which says what you're good for to them is adequate with proof (ie. references/experience).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)