Are you only doing physics to get into engineering? (1 Viewer)

Are you doing physics just for engineering?

• I have to do it for engineering

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • i like it and i need it for engineering

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • i need it for a diff uni course

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • i like the subject

Votes: 33 46.5%

• Total voters

miche11e

HSC
Hey guys,
just wondering what your reasons for doing physics are...
the only reason im doing it is because i need it for uni - otherwise i dont like it enough just to pick it up as another subject.
just curious...

Aplus

HSC
N/A
It's the most fundamental of all sciences.

lionking1191

HSC
strange, i don't see the option that says "i do it because it scales nicely."

but yeh, i was going to drop phys at start of y12 and then i had a look at the syllabus and it appeared interesting so....

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Physics is the best science course.

Maths>Physics>Chemistry>Biology>(any social science)

I'm doing physics because I like it, I'm good at it, It scales well, and pretty much any course I'm interested in at University either has it as required or assumed knowledge. It's more for science than engineering in my case.

miche11e

HSC
lionking1191 said:
strange, i don't see the option that says "i do it because it scales nicely."

but yeh, i was going to drop phys at start of y12 and then i had a look at the syllabus and it appeared interesting so....
physics doesnt scale well!! i think its possibly the worst scaling out of physics, chem and bio! (if i remeber correctly - dont hurt me!! :p)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I can tell you first hand what physics is like compared to HSC Physics.
HSC Physics is very different to Physics at university, one of the primary factors is due to the fact HSC Physics omits calculus which is very important in physics.
If you are seriously considering engineering, your maths skills from Ext. 1 and/or Ext. 2 will help you more.

Rock On

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
What is the point of leaving calculus out of the HSC Physics course anyway. They should just make HSC Mathematics as a co-requisite (as u learn calculus in this) and any kid that choose general math plus physics, well bad luck. Seems pointless 'half' teaching something, when uni pretty much from day one starts with calculus. Why shield everyone from something which is not that hard anyway?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Cookie182 said:
What is the point of leaving calculus out of the HSC Physics course anyway. They should just make HSC Mathematics as a co-requisite (as u learn calculus in this) and any kid that choose general math plus physics, well bad luck. Seems pointless 'half' teaching something, when uni pretty much from day one starts with calculus. Why shield everyone from something which is not that hard anyway?
Then we should go back to Physics in the 1980's when it was still real.
Actually no, the textbooks mostly weren't in colour ... fuck ....

samwell

HSC
i Love physics and i think its pretty cool. I also do need it in uni. I find hard to choose between physics and chem but physics is really cool.

4unitfreak

HSC
I do Physics because I like it. I don't need it for anything.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Have fun doing engineering if you don't like physics, morons.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Cookie182 said:
I know that UNSW requires 3 unit for Mechanical Engineering. No way you'll pass if you only did general. Infact you won't pass Physics 1A if you can't handle HSC maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)