Area of Study Stimulus Booklet Notes 2 (1 Viewer)

HSC
these were just last-minute notes i wrote out the night before the hsc, i scanned them a while ago for a 2005-er chick on my livejournal friends list and figured they might be some kind of help. they're kind of rushed and lame and my writing's pretty scribblish due to cramming, but *shrug*

blood on the tracks
journeys in general, and a bit of huck finn
journeys over land and sea/the town where time stands still
journey to the interior
related material - 'cast away' and a lonely planet tv guide (this is fairly half-assed)
the ivory trail
the road not taken
wind in the willows

(edit; if you open these in internet explorer, once its loaded it kind of shrinks down and makes it hard to read .. if you put your mouse over it for a second, this little expanding-arrows button comes up. click on that and it should re-enlarge it for you)

Last edited:

mahuligan

HSC
even though its kinda hard to read the wind and the willows one is really helpful
thanky:)

HSC
yeah .. i'm trying to get out of the habit of circling my i's instead of writing them normally, but anyway. i figure if there's a couple of words or sentences someone can jack from my notes to help them, i may as well.

HSC
the wind in the willow one is a major helP! thnx so much!!!!
it came in handy since i have mai assessment on mondai =P

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
my teacher didn't even cover wind in the willows for us in class when we did AOS last year. she said that advanced students shouldn't do that texty since its conepts are quite simplistic. has she robbed us of learning?

i want my money back!!!

HSC
really? our teacher said that probably at least half the students doing the hsc would do the road not taken and the wind in the willows because those are two of the strongest texts in the stimulus booklet .. i think its the best one personally. i'd re-read it again to refresh my memory, but i set my stimulus booklet on fire after the aos paper last year. most satisfying thing ever.

lilymaid

HSC
Wind in the willows-Text 3

Bear with me, this ones a long one.

The Journey An area of study - TEACHER RESOURCE

Text 3: The wind in the willows by Kenneth Grahame

OVERVIEW

- Well known childrens classic
- Associated with Area of study: The journey
- Animal figures represent human traits
- parable approach allows author to satarise flaws, foibles (weakness in/of character), and idiosyncrasies with humour
- able to read on number of different levels
- issues relevent to adults
- positive connotations of travel
- evident in Toad's character
- Rat is juxtaposed to Toad's character
- unwilling to explore unknown
- Toad is adamant about virtues of travel
- Rat is adamant that staying at home has greater advantages
- Toad encourages idea of exploration
- idea made more attractive by 'gypsy wagon'
- Toad epitomises all positive attributes of travel
- Explore the antithetical pressures of staying and going and the virtues of what is new against what is familiar

JOURNEY MOTIF

- Journey that Toad proposes is full of promise
- Enthuses it will allow them to experience 'real life'
- Gypsy cart becomes the vehical for world of adventure:
"Travel, change, interest, excitement!"
- Toad seems jaded with remaining the same
- assumes that others will share his enthusiasm

- Ratty likes comfort of familiar-has no inclination for heading off with Toad
-In this sense they represent negative/positive of changing one enviroment for another
- Kenneth Grahame uses: "I'm going to make an animal of you my boy!"
- Ratty remains adamant about not going

DETAILED ANALYSIS - CHARACTERS

TOAD
- Forceful character
- Exuberant & assertive
- Conceited & full of own self importance
- blames the cart for the trip..."the very finest cart...ever built".
- Proud
- Bossy nature

RATTY
- Conservative individual
- Unimpressed & uninspired by Toad
- Antithetical opposite of Toad
- Appears dull, boring and tiresome
- Rational
- Obdurate
-Stubborn

MOLE
- Immediately responds to Toad's enthusiasm
- Fence-sitter: caught inbetween two adamant individuals

CONTEXT

- Early 20th Century Britain; story about animals a humourous reflection on human life and attitudes

PROSE FEATURES

- Visual & aural imagery used to make scene vivid and amusing
- Juxtaposition
- Direct speech
- Register is formal, but literary (allegorical characters, symbol, dialogue)

fugazi

HSC
The Wind in the Willows.

Journey is viewed with a fervent sense of freedom. Themes of adventure and change are positioned in direct contrast with security, conformity and stability.
Animal figures have been anthropomorphised, allowing the composer to satirise flaws and idiosyncrasies the excitement of Toad and the contentment of Rat. The characters are opposites. Toad's often exclaimed remarks, "Travel, change, interest, excitement!" and, "Here today, up and off somewhere tomorrow!" contrasting the stoic, often reluctant Rat, "I'm not coming and that's flat!"
Toad's enamour at the idea of adventure is evident through the use of exclamation marks, large blocks of dialogue and run-on sentences.
Meanwhile, Rat's disinclination of the journey is supported with his preferred safety of his familiar surroundings. "I am going to stick to my old river..." "as I have always done."
Individual perspectives are explored. These antithetical pressures of journey are conduit through the anthropomorphic characters.

Techniques within the extract include the direct contrast of Toad and Rat through dialogue differentiation, effectively colouring their contrasting attitudes and mannerisms. A third person perspective is also implemented, therefore making the extract unbiased.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Omg Katie. that writing is exactly like mine!!!(except the retarded "i"'s :p

And ppl, what do you mean you cant read it- i can read every word. Thanks Katie- im gonna use "wind in the willows" to help me.

pyleung22

HSC
thx a lot....it reli helps me..hehe
gd luck on ur other examS =)

X_Princess_X

HSC
thx

thx katie they were good... a bit hard to read at first but then u get used to it lol... they were a great help coz i have my eng ass. due on wed which i have to use the stimulus booklet for so thx u helped heaps

__fruitcake__

HSC
town where time stands still

here, i've typed up the hand-written notes for "Town Where Time"... and btw, i reckon the 'i's are cool, not retarded... i've never seen anything like it ^^ anyways, here:

Text 7 – The Town Where Time Stands Still
· Explores the motivations that drive people to travel. It is philosophical in nature, trying to define the forces that leave us restless, i.e. profit, pleasure, to be enlightened or inspired (“hope to be moved”). Speaks of the inner journey that may accompany a physical journey that is simply moving from one place to another. The reactions alluded to here are of an inner and personal gain that remains even when the place itself it left. The author describes inclinations of profit or pleasure as “baser” or inferior, instead she feels the more fundamental desire of the “genii loci” is far more esoteric and almost an unconscious compulsion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)