art express (1 Viewer)

helzi

hi peoples..
they tell you through a letter.
yesterday i was notified by letter that my artwork was accepted into the agnsw. a separate letter was sent to also notify me that it was accepted on regional tour.
to everyone who got it this far and didnt get accepted for final round offers - you should be proud youve got it this far - you got in the top 10% and have a mark higher than 43/50.
to those that did get accepted congratulations.

how do they tell you that you did not get accepted?

artworks may not be accepted due to size and themes. the curator may want to convey a particular notion therby some artworks may not be accepted for this manner.

my friends got accepted in various areas.

one was a painting and was accepted at gymea
the other at cofa.

mememe

If i haven't got a letter of acceptance yet, can i assume i didn't get in? Cos i'll need to organise to go pick up my work if i didn't.

helzi

did you get through the pre selection process.

do not assume anything. your teacher should reply and inform you if the works have been returned - if in doubt why not caLL them.

if you did get into the pre selection process, and you havnt recieved a letter - then you still have a chance.

they havnt decided all the artworks yet. theyve only chosen some, and for others they are still looking for space - how it will fit with the themes etc.

agnsw get chosen first (i think). i think everyone else - i.e. curators of cofa, gymea, nas, etc come and have a look and view which will suit their area.

usually drawing goes into nas, and more contemporary pieces go to cofa.

i hope this helps

mememe

Ok thanks for that! yeah i got through the pre selection process, just waiting to hear if i actual got into any of the exhibitions or not. i hate the waiting lol! I think my school is too far away for them to return it, i had to transport it up there myself when it was marked.

Congradulations on getting in btw! What happens now? Is there like an opening night or something you get to go to? How's it work.

helzi

lol. thank you very much. didnt wanna sound like a snob telling people that i got in - when others were anticipating. i noe the feeling - its like hell. lol ill tell you a story.

yesterday was our graduation day. we were all at school, and my art teacher comes up and says they returned some of the artworks they dont like. and im there holding my breath, then he goes - tony's got sent bavk - im like no way. Tony did 3 charcoal drawings of eminem - its heaps good - with lyrics running over them. and then he said vanessa - im like hell no. vanessa is first in our class and im like if she doesnt get in theres no way i would. what he meant to say was only one out of the three parts of vanessa's artworks got sent back - so its definitely in. he then told her it made it into cofa etc etc.

he said mine and tinas are still in progress but its looking positive. and im like shesssh i cant wait any longer.

at lunch time i was told by one of the other art teachers that tina got in at gymea and im like coool.

both these girls are my very close frens - so i was not jealous in any way - i was sooo happy for them, but so nervous for myself.

when i got back home that afternoon i recieved 2 letters from the department of eductaion. im like they tell us for sure whether we get in or not in 2 weeks - why have i got these letters. then i open one and it says at the top artworks for the art gallery nsw.

then it goes dear helen
congratulations. lol everything became a blur after that i was just screaming. i come back in open the other and its like congrtualtions youve been selected for regional tour - and im like this is unbelievable.

so to answer your question. the letter tells you your title of your work and where it has been selected to. different exhibitions have different opening nights - for the agnsw - its 29th january - but i think you need an invite.

for the regional tour it tells you where your artworks goes for the next year.

gymeas opening day i think is february 2nd and cofa feb 20th.

however for the agnsw - i think the public can view it even before the opening night 16th january - march something.

mememe

lol awww you must be so stoked! It would be such a relief to know if you got in :)

I'm not expecting to, hell i was shocked i even got pre selected. My teacher told me i got pre selected 2 minutes before my extension english exam, so i was like struggling to concentrate in the exam!

Thanks for your help, i can't wait to see the exhibitions.

helzi

hey what was your artwork about.
what was your expressive form.
what sckool - your name?

my names helen obviously. mi expressive form was photography. i took real close ups of capsicums and made them look like the human body. its supposed to evoke sexual connotations

tro

My animation is being displayed at COFA...i thought they usually had animations and movies at the AGNSW?

mememe

I got in! My teacher rang up and i've been chosen for COFA. It's such a relief to finally know :) What happens now, is that the end of it all, or do we get to go to the opening night? Anyone who got in last year know how it works...?

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
mememe... according 2 what my brother experienced in 1999, if you made it, then yes - you should be going to the opening night... you and your family (i think)... congrats to everyone who got in, and for those of us who were denied, at least we got the marks :D
- m a d d o g z -

juggernaut

HSC
how does it work?
my cousin told me he got into art express.. what does that mean? is that the highest achievement or what?

helzi

congratualations to all that made it.

i think the animation is held at cofa - perhaps because its contemporary of fitting the theme they want.

there is an opening night - 29th january

theres also an opening for gymea - feb 5th
and cofa - 20th feb

everyone who makes it will go to tyhe 29th january one at agnsw -0 and you will receive an invite to invite limited people on the night

if you got through first round - you make top 10 percent.

you dont make it to the second round for various reasons
- size, theme, setting up, comparison to others etc etc

mememe

Originally posted by helzi

there is an opening night - 29th january

theres also an opening for gymea - feb 5th
and cofa - 20th feb

everyone who makes it will go to the 29th january one at agnsw - and you will receive an invite to invite limited people on the night

Hey, so does everyone go to the one big opening night at AGNSW? Or would you go to one where you work is held, for example the COFA people would go to one at COFA? And is it true we get a free art express catalogue/magazine thingy, the one with all our works featured in it?

helzi

everyone who makes it will go to agnsw big opening night - or so mi art teacher says. You will also have to go to the cofa opening night as well.

what was your artwork about mememe?
what is your real name - school etc.

i look forward to meeting you on the night.

im trying to go to the cofa and gymea ones - but i dunno if they have limited invites either.

Congratulations mememe - im really happy for you.

helzi

im sorry mememe, i forgot about the last part of the message.

hmmm.. thats what i was wondering as well - about the catalogue thing - but i doubt it.
each book costs too much for them to give away. i think thats a big part of their money making - by selling the catalogues to people who got in.

its i think 33 bucks or somethiing. they would make about $6600 lost if they were to give a catalogue free. its highly doubtful.

hey mememe, you mentioned you live far away. how will you be traveling to the opening night?

mememe

My works a mixed media about old war ideologies and propaganda, it's got heaps of symbolism and appropriation from the weirdest places, i ever appropriated the "Danger" sign they have near construction sites, and the "do the right thing, put it in the bin" sign where the guys leaning over and putting trash in a bin, plus sayings from like hitler and hermann goering etc. It's hard to explain, i'm sure you'll know which one it is if u go to COFA.

I always thought it was pretty crap, mainly cos my teacher doesn't like me and she's never given me a mark better than 30 out of 50 for it, so my confidence was low - but maybe she was wrong, cos art express means my mark is 43+!!! I couldn't believe it.

I cant wait for the opening night hey, it will be so exciting. I hope everyone gets to go to one together at AGNSW. I'll be visiting that exhibition even if the opening night isn't there. Awww i wanted a free catalogue!

s_kisses

HSC
hey helzi i got into art express at the AGNSW to wooo! c u there. i had to go to the art express place at homebush 2day to patch up my work a bit... and they took photos for the SMH :)

helzi

congraTulations s_kisses. when is it in the papers?
i look forward to meeting you as well.
wow. that is a real achievement.
i am really excited about seeing all the works this year. i think the quality should be very high, and that i wont be disappointed at all.

thechosen1

i just wanna say congrats to all that made it... i know how it feels, i got into the david jones exhibit, when i got the letter i started crying! did anyone else get into dj's? what does COFA stand for? and do i get to go to the big opening night at AGNSW? cause in the letter it just says stuff about going to an opening breakfast on the 26 jan with my family...

helzi

lol. i cried too but i noe how it feels.

COFA = COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS

Congratulations on making it into dj. my friend got into dj but also hazelworth (gymea), so im unsure about the opening night at the agnsw - but i think you would be able to go. ill probably see you at the dj breakfast - as i am attending one of my best friend to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)