Art masturbation (1 Viewer)

my_dirigible

Is anyone else tired of the wanky language necisary for being "good" at art? i for one am sick of "making informed descisions" and "refining" and "communicating complex concepts through a sophisticated use of artistic mediums" I just want to create something from my own subconcious and experience, i'm tired of making an artwork about other artworks!

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
What really poos me, is that we won't get away with half the crap that real artists get paid 50,000+ for...

my_dirigible

Yeah i know, we had to watch this video of Tracy Moffat the other day and she said something along the lines of "I really don't know why i create the art i do, people can read into it what they like". I thought to myself, "Oh, i see, so your have no concept and your making art purely for personal and aesthetic reasons... you know if we said we were doing that we would fail the course"

jeska

Originally posted by my_dirigible
so your have no concept and your making art purely for personal and aesthetic reasons... you know if we said we were doing that we would fail the course"
lol, so true

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Yeah i know, we had to watch this video of Tracy Moffat the other day and she said something along the lines of "I really don't know why i create the art i do, people can read into it what they like". I thought to myself, "Oh, i see, so your have no concept and your making art purely for personal and aesthetic reasons... you know if we said we were doing that we would fail the course"
i think you've taken her quote out of context, i don't think she's trying to say that she doesn't have any point to her art, i think she's trying to say that different audiences can take different meanings to her art (this is coming from someone who's favourite artist ever is tracey moffatt so i'm a little inclined to be defensive :p)

and well, of course the hsc art world is different from the real art world..hsc art has a freakin syllabus which you unfortunately have to satisfy to pass the course or whatever. it's stupid, yeah, but hey.

stareatthesun: of course your own artworks are your own creations, but how do you reach that result? so much of it is inspiration from other artists, whether it is subconsciously or not

my_dirigible

Don't get me wrong, I realise she's talented, i was simply applying another skill I've learnt from the HSC - taking a quote and twisting it to fit my argument ;).

And yeah i understand that your body of work is basically a visual to demonstrate what you've learned both skill-wise and conceptually. But it after a while it starts to get to me, i dislike labelling something as my own when it's clearly not, its a great big collage of everyone else, placed the way i want it to be. And i know what your thinking "It's called post-moderism" but god dammit...

Abraxus

HSC
I dunno if its like this with most of you, but the art teachers at my school have a tendency to totally warp and manipulate our original concept and turn it into something almost opposite to what we wanted to do in the first place. The "ideas" they come up with to "help" us merely sound like a way to make them sound more critical. Ah well, I don't care what they say, I'm sticking to what I want to do.

my_dirigible

Yeah i think i can relate to what your saying, but in my case it's as if she looks at what i'm thinking of doing and is reminded of one of the billion exhibitions she's been to. And then says for example with a portrait i had done: "Why don't you cut out around the head, and stick it on a torso-shaped piece of wood with a fake fur jacket over the top! with trinkets and charms and the stuff that you like!" *cringe* she means well and has a lot of good ideas, i just have to be carefull of the ones i choose to use

libgem

oh i know what you mean! what i'm doing, i came up with totally by myself, through experimentation etc, yet my teacher wants me to write that i am refrencing another artist, because she apparently did something similar, even though i've never heard of or seen her work! it seems annoying you have to credit your ideas to someone else just for the sake of it.

my_dirigible

Such is the way of the HSC. I've found that for this task, stealing *ahem* i mean referencing ideas from other artists is much more effective time-wise then coming up with your own ideas through experimentation etc. Plus it is apparantly a lot more credible :p

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
nothing is created in a vacuum. i know for my hsc artwork i started with my own idea, but as it grew and changed i found other artists/designers/writers/whatever dealing with similar themes, it was helpful to look at their work, and see how they approached things, and possibly faced the same problems that i did.

my_dirigible

no i completely agree with you on that, i know my idea has evolved dramatically over the past nine months, and its true, i've looked to other artists for inspiration, but its hard for me to move around with the restrictions of the HSC body of work. You know, i think i'll quit my anti-post-modernist banter and actually DO my BOW.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by libgem
oh i know what you mean! what i'm doing, i came up with totally by myself, through experimentation etc, yet my teacher wants me to write that i am refrencing another artist, because she apparently did something similar, even though i've never heard of or seen her work! it seems annoying you have to credit your ideas to someone else just for the sake of it.
well, you don't have to credit the artist for an idea which you believe you came up with, but i think what your teacher is trying to get at is that you need to be critical about every piece of information which is thrown at you..whether this criticism is positive or negative is up to you.

this artist which your teacher has referenced to you has obsviously done something similar to what you've done- wouldn't it be a good idea to look at this artist's work and compare it to your own..?

Originally posted by Abraxus
I dunno if its like this with most of you, but the art teachers at my school have a tendency to totally warp and manipulate our original concept and turn it into something almost opposite to what we wanted to do in the first place. The "ideas" they come up with to "help" us merely sound like a way to make them sound more critical. Ah well, I don't care what they say, I'm sticking to what I want to do.
oh yeah you're completely right! and not only do they change your idea but they change it so it almost becomes a reflection of their ideals and stuff.

i found that a bad art teacher is one who takes your work and changes it into something he/she would produce.. and a good art teacher is one who takes your work and tells you how you could represent your idea in a 'better' (for lack of a ..better..word) way.

Abraxus

HSC
Yes, exactly. The stuff the teachers at my school come up with to "improve" our work conceptually aren't just step-ups of what we've already done, but totally different ideas that end up contradicting our work. The ideas suggested for my work by the teachers weren't communicating my concept the way I want to, all they did was introduce a completely new one. Like I said, I'm just going to just stick to the way I wanted it to be, because that's art and I'm not disobeying any restrictions.

soiled_poncho

Originally posted by Abraxus
Yes, exactly. The stuff the teachers at my school come up with to "improve" our work conceptually aren't just step-ups of what we've already done, but totally different ideas that end up contradicting our work. The ideas suggested for my work by the teachers weren't communicating my concept the way I want to, all they did was introduce a completely new one. Like I said, I'm just going to just stick to the way I wanted it to be, because that's art and I'm not disobeying any restrictions.
I know your pain.

guy

HSC
(ii havn't really read this thread) but if you get through all the art tosser stuff and learn how to be an art fag it helps you heaps with what you want to do, even if your just paying it out (art critisicm is a form of art ;)

asha_ramirez

HSC
Is anyone else tired of the wanky language necisary for being "good" at art? i for one am sick of "making informed descisions" and "refining" and "communicating complex concepts through a sophisticated use of artistic mediums" I just want to create something from my own subconcious and experience, i'm tired of making an artwork about other artworks!
Arghh!! I so agree! It's like that with all of my subjects... I feel like I'm wanking constantly... wank wank wank JIZZZ and there is my HSC... I can't wait until I don't have to analyse everything!!! Themes, symbols, techniques, mortifs, structure, cultural context, post-modernism, feminism, socio-economic standpoints, fucking ghey... meh!:argue:

soiled_poncho

I can't wait until I can see an artwork and nopt automatically begin to think of its genre, meaning, relationship to audience etc.

I swear, most of the meanings we come up with must be so far removed from the real ones. I'd love to be an artist just to see what students said about my work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)