Assessment Mark Scaling (1 Viewer)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Say I get 95 Raw Assessment Mark in 2U Maths at a late 40s ranked school, can I expect it to change at all?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Assessment mark doesn't matter as much because schools have different difficulties of exams, but it's about the rank + the relative gap between the ranks. If the mark mattered heaps then every school would set easy trial papers.

D94 knows more about scaling and stuff so hopefully he replies

A1P

HSC
Say I get 95 Raw Assessment Mark in 2U Maths at a late 40s ranked school, can I expect it to change at all?
Hypothetically if everyone in your cohort scores around the same exam mark as their assessment mark you can expect your 95 to not change.

Realistically, if *on average* your cohort score say 3 exam marks higher (or lower) than their assessment marks, your 95 will be moderated ~3 marks up (or down).

That's all it is, except first/last ranked your assessment mark is moderated to reflect not just yours but the whole cohort's exam performance relative to their school-given marks.

D94

HSC
N/A
You can expect it to change based on the performance of you and your cohort in the HSC exam. A 95% in school is meaningless without knowing the standard of your school's assessments and the students. You could have sat really easy assessments or the quality of the students are high or both. All this will be contextualised when you sit the HSC exams. If the highest HSC exam mark happens to be say 92, then no one in your cohort will get above 92. That 92 tells BOSTES/NESA that your school that no one was capable of consistently achieving as high as 95 so your assessment marks will be adjusted accordingly. Your mark will be adjusted based on how relatively far you are from your peers. The closer your mark is to the highest school mark, the closer your assessment mark will be adjusted to.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
You can expect it to change based on the performance of you and your cohort in the HSC exam. A 95% in school is meaningless without knowing the standard of your school's assessments and the students. You could have sat really easy assessments or the quality of the students are high or both. All this will be contextualised when you sit the HSC exams. If the highest HSC exam mark happens to be say 92, then no one in your cohort will get above 92. That 92 tells BOSTES/NESA that your school that no one was capable of consistently achieving as high as 95 so your assessment marks will be adjusted accordingly. Your mark will be adjusted based on how relatively far you are from your peers. The closer your mark is to the highest school mark, the closer your assessment mark will be adjusted to.
What if my rank in the class is approx. 4 or 5 and my school rank is 40ish?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
How many Band 6s has your school achieved in the past?
2016 - 250
2015 - 255
2011 - 27.7% were band 6s

This is assuming the distinguished achievers on better education website is the amount of band 6s...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)