• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

assumed knowledge - HELP (1 Viewer)

muttiah

Banned
HSC
what are some assumed knowledge in year 12 physics from year 11....

anything in particular which we should revise over the holidays??

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Not sure, but I think I'm gonna look over the whole thing anyway. Especially with my abysmal physics test result :mad1:

tennille

HSC
You just need to know the basic formulae, including motion and Newton's Laws (F=ma). Much of the course in year 12 is new, and there isn't much mathematics, anyway.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Tennille said:
You just need to know the basic formulae, including motion and Newton's Laws (F=ma). Much of the course in year 12 is new, and there isn't much mathematics, anyway.
Such as outlining the changes in the universal models from Ptolemy to Newton or something ... :(

From a former Physics student of the 2003 HSC, here is what he says:

Hey (my name undisclosed)

English i have absolutely no idea, i sucked bad at English :)

As far as i am aware, nothing in the preliminary course is directly examinable in the hsc, but it may be classified as assumed knowledge and some of the preliminary knowledge is still essential to some aspects of the HSC course.

I don't think it would be expected that you remember all that stupid shit for the exam, as the HSC course has enough stupid shit you need to remember by itself! But, don't throw the notes away as you may find yourself referring back to them as some things you have learnt in the prelim course are still relevant in the HSC course, but they are just examined in more detail in the HSC course.

I think one of the main ideas behind such things as the developments of the universal model is just how scientific knowledge changes and how theories are disproved or proved with the advancement of technology and such things like that

if any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me

Cheers
-(name undisclosed)

Last edited:

Vinneh

I live in the 5 minutes between waking up in bliss
HSC
Dont think youd have to worry much about it.. People forget anyway.. If you start dealing with a concept that was covered in year 11, chances are your teacher will say "Remember when we talked about ** last year? About how it blahss?"

And hey, if he doesnt, youll catch up verry quickly.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Vinneh said:
People forget anyway.. If you start dealing with a concept that was covered in year 11, chances are your teacher will say "Remember when we talked about ** last year? About how it blahss?"
That's what you do in year 11 for the science subjects anyway, isn't it? Various parts of the prelim course were actually taught last year, I believe.

muttiah

Banned
HSC
is it good to be familiar with the basics of waves and wave formulas?

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
probably basic formuula...i remember doing a past paper that required you to have knowledge that T=1/f so watch out for that ;)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
they can test u on prelim stuff as long as it is applicable to the yr12 syllabus.

that's what my teacher said.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Don't worry about it at all.

The only time I can think of where year 11 physics was needed is in my option - Medical Physics. Sound waves, the doppler effect and also optical fibres (total internal refraction) are all involved in some medical imaging techniques.

But you don't need to talk about them in great detail because the option topics are more geared towards understanding how physics is used for the benefit of society.

Personally I don't think its necessary to do revision for any subjects in the holidays at the end of year 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)