Atar Calculators (1 Viewer)

kevindebruyne

HSC
How accurate are atar calculators from Talent100 and Matrix predicting the final atar, especially from past students? I have heard that the actual atar usually falls between the 2. Will it fluctuate more this year from the calculators due to covid and other disruptions?

Thanks

Jojofelyx

HSC
How accurate are atar calculators from Talent100 and Matrix predicting the final atar, especially from past students? I have heard that the actual atar usually falls between the 2. Will it fluctuate more this year from the calculators due to covid and other disruptions?

Thanks
Don't think anyone can answer that very accurately. They both calculate it using the UAC scaling report, I guess we can only work anecdotally, for what the accuracy of those is. Also, the difference between the real and predicted varies greatly depending on what the atar actually is. Its a lot more inaccurate between 85-95 than it is from 96< for example.

As for the fluctuations due to covid shouldnt change the scaling that drastically (unless a particular subset of students really worked hard whilst others completely slacked off, more so than normal years, making the subjects they do scale better as scaling is determined in relation to the calibre of students who do those subjects). Altho with that said, everyone has been on the same boat so I don't really see that happening.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I'm aware, Talent 100's ATAR calculator can generally be considered somewhat accurate. Of course, this may be subject to what exactly you define as accurate, i.e. what is the maximum gap between the predicted ATAR and actual ATAR above which you would classify it as inaccurate? In my case, when I received my HSC results, the ATAR that the Talent 100 ATAR calculator predicted was 0.35 higher than the ATAR that I ended up receiving.

On the other hand, the Matrix ATAR calculator seems to apply a harsher approach in terms of predicting students' ATAR's, while retaining a degree of accuracy. The maximum size of the gap between the predicted ATAR and the actual ATAR above which you would consider an ATAR calculator to be inaccurate also applies here. In my case, when I received my HSC results, the ATAR that the Matrix ATAR calculator predicted was 0.2 lower than the ATAR that I ended up receiving. Based on this, one could infer that a student's actual ATAR may fall between the ATAR predicted by Matrix and the ATAR predicted by Talent 100.

I hope this helps! :D

Jojofelyx

HSC
As far as I'm aware, Talent 100's ATAR calculator can generally be considered somewhat accurate. Of course, this may be subject to what exactly you define as accurate, i.e. what is the maximum gap between the predicted ATAR and actual ATAR above which you would classify it as inaccurate? In my case, when I received my HSC results, the ATAR that the Talent 100 ATAR calculator predicted was 0.35 higher than the ATAR that I ended up receiving.

On the other hand, the Matrix ATAR calculator seems to apply a harsher approach in terms of predicting students' ATAR's, while retaining a degree of accuracy. The maximum size of the gap between the predicted ATAR and the actual ATAR above which you would consider an ATAR calculator to be inaccurate also applies here. In my case, when I received my HSC results, the ATAR that the Matrix ATAR calculator predicted was 0.2 lower than the ATAR that I ended up receiving. Based on this, one could infer that a student's actual ATAR may fall between the ATAR predicted by Matrix and the ATAR predicted by Talent 100.

I hope this helps! :D
Lucky for 2021 cohort, ATAR is released 4 days before marks lol, so there won't be the great annual atar calculator website crash this time around xD

notme123

HSC
this is the most accurate in my opinion because it uses data from the uac scaling report:
- enter your marks on HSC Ninja
- scroll to the bottom where there is a row of scaled marks and atars
- either the one highlighted in red or the 2019 mark is the most accurate

you will see that with the same marks, your atar would be vary through different years, reliant on factors such as strength of the cohorts and subject difficulty. since hsc cohorts have become more competitive and thus, stronger over time, there are more people getting higher marks in the hsc. that eventually leads to scaled marks suffering, hence the atar. youll see that around 2013 is when your atar would be highest with the inputted marks, which means that the cohort wasn't particularly strong or the hsc exams were difficult.

vishnay

God
HSC
this is the most accurate in my opinion because it uses data from the uac scaling report:
- enter your marks on HSC Ninja
- scroll to the bottom where there is a row of scaled marks and atars
- either the one highlighted in red or the 2019 mark is the most accurate
yeah i sorta agree with u here

however someone ik last yr got like 0.4 higher than the atar in red on hscninja (in the 97s btw)

notme123

HSC
yeah i sorta agree with u here

however someone ik last yr got like 0.4 higher than the atar in red on hscninja (in the 97s btw)
ye it varies for subjects and year groups but using the red as an estimate also tempers your expectations so thats why i use it. they dont have a 2020 one yet which im waiting for but i dont think it matters because this years hsc was different compared to that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)