Attention!: New Mandatory School Certificate Assessment!!! (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
You may have heard this long ago before, but I can't seem to find any threads on this topic... Also, I've noticed a lot of my peers did not know this.

The Board of Studies had announced that there will be a Computing Skills Assessment as part of the School Certificate syllabus, which was recently introduced as trials on pen and paper or online, will become a mandatory assessment by 2006. (A change from the inital proposal that it will be mandatory in 2004). It will form part of the credentials reported on the School Certificate. There will be no separate school based component, thus it is an external examination. (likely to be a 90 minute written or online electronic program examination consisting of 100 multiple choice questions like the trials)

Here's some bulletin reports from the Board of Studies about this introduction.

New Year 10 Computing Skills Assessment for 2006:

Schools across NSW are to be given more time to prepare for the introduction of the new Year 10 Computing Skills Assessment. The Computing Skills Assessment was initially planned for introduction in 2004 but will now be compulsory for all Year 10 students from 2006.

The decision recognises that schools are still busy consolidating their implementation of the new HSC courses and are also preparing for the introduction of the revised Years 7–10 curriculum. It was also recognised that the revised Years 7–10 syllabuses, to be introduced from 2004, contain a significant emphasis on students using information and communication technologies and that the introduction of the Computing Skills Assessment for Year 10 students for 2006 would be well timed.

“We have been consulting closely with school principals and teachers about the best way to introduce the new Computing Skills Assessment and they have told us that schools would benefit from further trialling before it becomes compulsory,” said Professor Gordon Stanley, President of the Board of Studies.

All secondary schools were given the opportunity to participate in this year’s trialling of the Computing Skills Assessment and nearly 600 government and non-government schools across the state have taken part. All secondary schools will now have the opportunity to trial the Computing Skills Assessment for a further two years before it becomes compulsory.

Further trialling will give schools more time and opportunities to develop strategies to deal with the issues raised at consultation meetings that have been held across the state about this year’s trial. These include the need for more time for teachers to further develop their own computing skills, ways of increasing the access to computers for both teachers and students and strategies for recording student achievement of computing skills.

What is the Computing Skills Assessment?:

The Computing Skills Assessment will assess and report each Year 10 student’s knowledge, skills and understanding of information and communications technologies (ICT) relevant to the mandatory Years 7–10 curriculum.

Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge, under-standing and skills in word processing, the use of spreadsheet packages and computer databases, creating multimedia presentations, searching the internet and using email.

When the Computing Skills Assessment becomes compulsory, Year 10 students will receive School Certificate credentials that report on the computing skills they have demonstrated. The aim of the new Computing Skills Assessment is to ensure that all Year 10 students develop the skills in ICT needed for further studies or for entering the workforce.

Trialling the Computing Skills Assessment:

To prepare for the new Computing Skills Assessment, the Board of Studies has been conducting trials in government and non-government schools in metropolitan and rural regions across NSW for the past three years.

This year, the trial was open to all schools and some 60 000 students from almost 600 schools participated. Schools were able to participate by trialling a 90-minute external test or by undertaking school-based assessment or by trialling both components. The aim of the trials is to ensure that the new Computing Skills Assessment is manageable, equitable and sufficiently flexible to cater for the wide variety of school needs. The Board of Studies will continue to trial and further develop the Computing Skills Assessment in 2004 and 2005.

For more information visit: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/computingskills_bbarticles.html#Computing

Trev

stix
HSC
i was in the first yr to do the trial computer skill one and its completey shit, i got 91 or sumwat and i reckon its pointless, the ppl that run the state kno that ppl our age have relatively o-kay computer skills.....

deano059

HSC
the questions r like after a 2hrs at the computer do u

keep playing
'TAKE A BREAK'
or move the keyboard

....................its very easy nothing to worry aobut

i did a trial but never got results for it - does any1 know if u get the results

A l

HSC
N/A
This Assessment was made to ensure that Year 10 students have a degree of Computing Skills by the time they become employed. The School Certificate from 2006 onwards can be used as an indication that the person has some recognised computing skills to take on possible computer progams in the workforce.

sinerster

Junior
HSC
i did a trial for that last year
biggest piece of shit ive ever seen
if you're smart enough to post in these forums then you should have no problems with that

HSC
N/A
Yeah, it was pretty simple. Our grade did it last year, I got the highest mark (1/240) and don't really know much about computers at all.... so now I'm worried that my grade is computer illiterate, and even more concerned about what those kids were doing in the year 9-10 IT elective.

This test was no big deal, I was more concerned about the fact I missed out on art because of it :mad:

malayansurf

HSC
this trial test doesn't actually count towards our total mark right?

A l

HSC
N/A
malayansurf said:
this trial test doesn't actually count towards our total mark right?
Usually it shouldn't. But I think some schools make it an assessment task for the Computing Skills elective course. But by 2006 the test is no longer a trial and would hence count towards your School Certificate.

Danoz The Great

HSC
I did the trial of this in 2003. We never recieved the marks. It's really easy too. If you regularly use a computer and you know the basic stuff of excel, copy + paste, etc., you'll do fine. Don't sweat on it.

Libbster

HSC
Man that computer trial we did was p*ss easy, I came first in the Hunter region mwwwhahaha! lol

HSC
LOL, after 20 minutes and about 35 questions kids started to be allowed to leave so every kid in there started to just circle anything so we coul go home. Everyone was mucking around etc.. Biggest joke ever.

One of the questions was. "What colour is the blue broadband conncetion cable?"

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
i did this trial in the 2003 SC, i was chosen to do it "online".. lol.. it was so boring.. we never got the results for it, i never even got a proper documentation that i did the stupid exam.. all i know is the school posted a bunch of kids who got band 6, and i was one of them.. thats all we know~

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I Looked at the test,

it's a joke.

Bob Carr is quite smart in setting a test like that, now he can say "Before I was in government 20% of students knew how to use computers, since being elected and placing computers in schools 99.99% of students pass the School Certificate Computer Skills Test. My government is committed to education and integration of technology into learning blah balh blah blah blah".

Well done Mr Carr

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
A l said:
Usually it shouldn't. But I think some schools make it an assessment task for the Computing Skills elective course. But by 2006 the test is no longer a trial and would hence count towards your School Certificate.
Yeah, he's right, at my school it counted as an assessment for Computer Studies.

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

deano059 said:
the questions r like after a 2hrs at the computer do u

keep playing
'TAKE A BREAK'
or move the keyboard

....................its very easy nothing to worry aobut

i did a trial but never got results for it - does any1 know if u get the results
me too i neva got it.. i cam in 30 mins late for the test.. coz ive bus problems.. and finished with 30 mins to go HAHAHAH

HSC
I didnt do the computing skills paper in 2003 (SC), but when I did workplacement at my old high school I did the test for shits and giggles, it was all these MC and got 98!

userdk

HSC
A l said:
You may have heard this long ago before, but I can't seem to find any threads on this topic... Also, I've noticed a lot of my peers did not know this.

The Board of Studies had announced that there will be a Computing Skills Assessment as part of the School Certificate syllabus, which was recently introduced as trials on pen and paper or online, will become a mandatory assessment by 2006. (A change from the inital proposal that it will be mandatory in 2004). It will form part of the credentials reported on the School Certificate. There will be no separate school based component, thus it is an external examination. (likely to be a 90 minute written or online electronic program examination consisting of 100 multiple choice questions like the trials)

Here's some bulletin reports from the Board of Studies about this introduction.

New Year 10 Computing Skills Assessment for 2006:

Schools across NSW are to be given more time to prepare for the introduction of the new Year 10 Computing Skills Assessment. The Computing Skills Assessment was initially planned for introduction in 2004 but will now be compulsory for all Year 10 students from 2006.

The decision recognises that schools are still busy consolidating their implementation of the new HSC courses and are also preparing for the introduction of the revised Years 7–10 curriculum. It was also recognised that the revised Years 7–10 syllabuses, to be introduced from 2004, contain a significant emphasis on students using information and communication technologies and that the introduction of the Computing Skills Assessment for Year 10 students for 2006 would be well timed.

“We have been consulting closely with school principals and teachers about the best way to introduce the new Computing Skills Assessment and they have told us that schools would benefit from further trialling before it becomes compulsory,” said Professor Gordon Stanley, President of the Board of Studies.

All secondary schools were given the opportunity to participate in this year’s trialling of the Computing Skills Assessment and nearly 600 government and non-government schools across the state have taken part. All secondary schools will now have the opportunity to trial the Computing Skills Assessment for a further two years before it becomes compulsory.

Further trialling will give schools more time and opportunities to develop strategies to deal with the issues raised at consultation meetings that have been held across the state about this year’s trial. These include the need for more time for teachers to further develop their own computing skills, ways of increasing the access to computers for both teachers and students and strategies for recording student achievement of computing skills.

What is the Computing Skills Assessment?:

The Computing Skills Assessment will assess and report each Year 10 student’s knowledge, skills and understanding of information and communications technologies (ICT) relevant to the mandatory Years 7–10 curriculum.

Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge, under-standing and skills in word processing, the use of spreadsheet packages and computer databases, creating multimedia presentations, searching the internet and using email.

When the Computing Skills Assessment becomes compulsory, Year 10 students will receive School Certificate credentials that report on the computing skills they have demonstrated. The aim of the new Computing Skills Assessment is to ensure that all Year 10 students develop the skills in ICT needed for further studies or for entering the workforce.

Trialling the Computing Skills Assessment:

To prepare for the new Computing Skills Assessment, the Board of Studies has been conducting trials in government and non-government schools in metropolitan and rural regions across NSW for the past three years.

This year, the trial was open to all schools and some 60 000 students from almost 600 schools participated. Schools were able to participate by trialling a 90-minute external test or by undertaking school-based assessment or by trialling both components. The aim of the trials is to ensure that the new Computing Skills Assessment is manageable, equitable and sufficiently flexible to cater for the wide variety of school needs. The Board of Studies will continue to trial and further develop the Computing Skills Assessment in 2004 and 2005.

For more information visit: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/computingskills_bbarticles.html#Computing

does this mean YEAR 10 of 05 has to sit this exam, or does this only apply as from 06? cause ive heard some stuff that YEAR 10 this Year may have to sit for this exam but so far, i havent heard anything from my Teachers!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
userdk said:
does this mean YEAR 10 of 05 has to sit this exam, or does this only apply as from 06? cause ive heard some stuff that YEAR 10 this Year may have to sit for this exam but so far, i havent heard anything from my Teachers!
no the year 10 of this year dont have to do the exam

schools may choose to sit the exam, but its not compulsory until 2006

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)