Australia to bid for 2018 World Cup (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer/lets-land-the-world-cup/2008/02/23/1203467459939.html

The Australian Government will today officially launch its bid for the world's biggest party — the 2018 soccer World Cup.

The cup is the largest event in world sport, attracting an audience of roughly half the world's population — and Prime Minister Kevin Rudd believes Australia can win it.

"Winning the right to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup is a herculean task, but overcoming tough odds is what Australian football does best," Mr Rudd said yesterday.

The World Cup is played every four years, with the next tournament to be played in South Africa in 2010.

Australia's chances will be enhanced by the scrapping of FIFA's controversial "hosting rotation policy" after the 2014 tournament.

Each of the Federation Internationale de Football Association's (FIFA) 208 member countries will get a vote on who hosts the World Cup.

The Football Federation of Australia (FFA) will soon lodge a formal national bid with FIFA, and the bid will have the full co-operation of the Commonwealth, state and territory governments.

:D

hello2004

Wow, what a dumb idea. Any money spent on a bid for 2018 is a waste because it will almost certainly be held in England.

On top of that, Australia just does not have enough cities to host this tournament - you need at least nine. FIFA would not tolerate Brazil or Italy or France playing in front of 20,000 people in Tasmania or the Central Coast.

The FFA should concentrate on first hosting an Asian Champions League grand final or even better the Asian Cup. What they're doing now is just a pipe dream.

boris

Banned
HSC
hello2005 said:
On top of that, Australia just does not have enough cities to host this tournament - you need at least nine. FIFA would not tolerate Brazil or Italy or France playing in front of 20,000 people in Tasmania or the Central Coast.
Tourists, dumbass.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Wow, what a dumb idea. Any money spent on a bid for 2018 is a waste because it will almost certainly be held in England.

The FFA should concentrate on first hosting an Asian Champions League grand final or even better the Asian Cup. What they're doing now is just a pipe dream.
If it does be held in Australia it will boost economic growth by a fair
bit.

Dude 2018 thats like a long time away.
and yes exactly it attracts tourism.

Should do both?

ZabZu

HSC
hello2005 said:
I think your right, Australia doesnt have enough venues to host it by itself. However, theres always the option of co-hosting the world cup. We could share it with New Zealand or something.

I think all stadiums hosting world cup games need to accomodate at least 40,000 people. In Australia only Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane currently have stadiums of that size.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
hello2005 said:

True, but it would be unbelievably good for Australia.
(Besides, the Government would do something no doubt to house a shit load of people without attempting to pack them into an already existing stadium - it is 2018 for crying out loud)

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I think that if we were to co-host with NZ we would only be a couple stadiums short.

boris

Banned
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I think that if we were to co-host with NZ we would only be a couple stadiums short.
Who gives a shit, it's 10 years away.

Chances of them getting it are slim to none, but it doesn't mean they can't try.
They spend tax payer funded money on a barrel full of other useless shit, I don't see this as any less of a worthy cause.

hello2004

True, but it would be unbelievably good for Australia.
IT'S NOT HAPPENING !!

My main gripe is that the government is spending millions on this bid when there is no chance of it succeeding.

By the time 2018 comes it will have been 52 years since England last hosted the tournament. This is the self-described "home of football" and it conducts the largest football league in the world in terms of $.

The rotation policy was scrapped and I think it was because the English contingent leaned on FIFA. Unless London 2012 is a disaster, the world cup is going there.

The money spent (wasted) here would be better spent on youth development or on trying to get the Asian Cup. (BTW I disagree with government funding of sport but if they're going to spend millions it should be done in a different way).

hello2004

Um.
IT'S CALLED FUCKING DEVELOPMENT AND EXTENTIONS YOU FUCKING SPACKMONKEY.

Yeah good thinking 99, the Australian government were hoping to host the World Cup with a few 20,000 seat capacity stadiums.

Man you're thick.

Like they were going to hold the Olympics with Telstra Stadium alone.
Like most Australian's you know very little about football (and I can forgive that, just don't go talking like you are this awesome source of knowledge).

To host the world cup you need nine cities at least. Each stadium requires a minimum capacity of 40,000. Outside of the five major cities where are you going to build/extend these stadiums?

The fact that you compared the fucking Olympics to the World Cup is hilarious. Olympics = one city, two weeks needs only one large stadium with other complementary ones

World Cup = one country, one month and requires at a minimum NINE large stadiums.

boris

Banned
HSC
hello2005 said:
Like most Australian's you know very little about football (and I can forgive that, just don't go talking like you are this awesome source of knowledge).

To host the world cup you need nine cities at least. Each stadium requires a minimum capacity of 40,000. Outside of the five major cities where are you going to build/extend these stadiums?

The fact that you compared the fucking Olympics to the World Cup is hilarious. Olympics = one city, two weeks needs only one large stadium with other complementary ones

World Cup = one country, one month and requires at a minimum NINE large stadiums.
You were the fucking idiot who linked me to the Bluetongue Central Coast Stadium to prove it only had a seating capacity of 20,000 people.

Fuck off with your bullshit, you don't know how much I know about football and my comparison to the Olympics was to show that Australia had the capacity to accomodate large sporting events.

They can put a bid in for it. Who cares if they don't get it.

hello2004

Fuck off with your bullshit, you don't know how much I know about football and my comparison to the Olympics was to show that Australia had the capacity to accomodate large sporting events.
SYDNEY IS NOT AUSTRALIA YOU FUCKTARD. STOP BRINGING UP THE OLYMPICS.

They can put a bid in for it. Who cares if they don't get it.
Unless you're on perpetual welfare they're spending your money. I care if our taxes are going towards a bid that has ZERO chance of succeeding.

boris

Banned
HSC
hello2005 said:
SYDNEY IS NOT AUSTRALIA YOU FUCKTARD. STOP BRINGING UP THE OLYMPICS.

Unless you're on perpetual welfare they're spending your money. I care if our taxes are going towards a bid that has ZERO chance of succeeding.
Well then and go and write them a fucking angry letter.

They can spend my money on putting in a bid for the world cup. As if I give a fucking shit, they spend my tax money on a myriad of other useless bullshit, why not add this to the pile.

You're the fucking spacktard. IF ONE CITY CAN ACCOMODATE A LARGE SCALE SPORTING EVENT LIKE THE FUCKING OLYMPICS, THEY CAN FUCKING ACCOMODATE THE BULLSHIT WORLD CUP IF IT'S SPREAD OUT ACROSS THE COUNTRY. FUCK THE LOGISTICS AND THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION, THEY HAVE LESS CHANCE OF GETTING IT BECAUSE OF AUSTRALIA'S LOCATION IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING NOWHERE, BUT WHO CARES?

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
hello2005 said:
IT'S NOT HAPPENING !!

My main gripe is that the government is spending millions on this bid when there is no chance of it succeeding.

By the time 2018 comes it will have been 52 years since England last hosted the tournament. This is the self-described "home of football" and it conducts the largest football league in the world in terms of $.

The rotation policy was scrapped and I think it was because the English contingent leaned on FIFA. Unless London 2012 is a disaster, the world cup is going there.

The money spent (wasted) here would be better spent on youth development or on trying to get the Asian Cup. (BTW I disagree with government funding of sport but if they're going to spend millions it should be done in a different way).
whatever, there will always be positives and negatives in the fight for the hosting of the 2018 world cup. whichever way you look at it.
besides, is there a possibility that tourists during the cup would equal (if not higher or lower) the total expenditure cost prior to the beginning of the cup? (a question of curiosity not a statement, please don't hurt me)

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Hosting the 2018 World Cup would be fantastic but at the same time I agree with hello2005's "don't get your hopes up" sentiment.

Australia has to be less naive towards everything in world football, from gamesmanship to FIFA corruption, manager recruitment to World Cup bids.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
hello2005 said:
IT'S NOT HAPPENING !!

The idea is to bid for 2018 to show we're serious then bid harder for 2022, for which our biggest rival will probably be China :D

EDIT: Lowy recently said he's sure we'll get the 2015 Asian Cup too

blakegman

HSC
N/A
England will host 2018. But it is the right idea, you need to be in the mix a couple of times before your usually considered

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)