Australian TV (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Is it just me or has anyone noticed that all the tv channel have decided that their customers are worthless?
I know we don't pay anything but we watch their ads which makes them money.

They cancel shows without informing the viewers.

They move shows to 11.30 at night without informing the viewers.

They spread 4 episodes of a series over 6 months.

They run shows over time on purpose so that people miss the start of shows on other networks, attempting to pull people into what's next on their channel.

They have longer ad breaks more often.

They show repeats in amongst new episodes so you never know what to expect. And they lie about whether they are showing repeats or not.

They take full advantage of the non ratings periods by showing all repeats and bad shows and none of their new stuff.

Channel 9 gets the rights to the Rugby League and then refuses to show International games live. They also drag the games out to get the most commercials in.

And worst of all they are 5 - 10 weeks behind the US.

They have been doing all this for a while but it is gradually getting worse, especially in the last 6 months. As long as the Australia public does nothing it is just going to get worse.

Gangels

HSC
Austar has gone down to a cheap price. We get all the best shows. Minimal ads, movies all day, UK-TV, Comedy channel, TV1, its all there.

I rarely watch free to air.:)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I agree there are plenty of crap American shows but I think there are also some good ones. The last thing we need is more Australian shows. You just can't make a half decent show with the kind of budgets you get here.

The selling point for pay-tv used to be 'no ads'. It's not like that anymore. You buy it because of all the extra channels you get. If you don't have it you miss out on all the extra shows. And apart from the movie channels it doesn't really have minimal ads anymore either.

If you watch a show that goes for an hour there would be 5 or 6 ad breaks just like free to air. They are only half as long but because of that the show finishes 10 minutes early and then they show 10 minutes of ads in one block.

I know that a significant proportion of the ads on pay-tv are for other channels and programs but in my opinion an ad for a show I don't want to watch is just as bad as an ad for a product I don't want to buy.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
There is always the option of breaking the law and downloading the shows. Boycott Australian TV!

Disclaimer: I don't condone dumbasses doing what I say.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
KeypadSDM said:
There is always the option of breaking the law and downloading the shows. Boycott Australian TV!

Disclaimer: I don't condone dumbasses doing what I say.
It's almost at that point for me. I already download 4 shows. But I could easily make it more if I decided not to watch free to air tv at all. Problem is not enough people have the Internet speed or actually know how to do it so it won't ever make much of a different to the ratings. I would just be doing it on principle.

Downloading tv shows should not be illegal. In my opinion it's fair use. I admit there are no commercials but I never watch them anyway. I get up and leave the room or get a drink of something.

Gangels

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I agree there are plenty of crap American shows but I think there are also some good ones. The last thing we need is more Australian shows. You just can't make a half decent show with the kind of budgets you get here.

The selling point for pay-tv used to be 'no ads'. It's not like that anymore. You buy it because of all the extra channels you get. If you don't have it you miss out on all the extra shows. And apart from the movie channels it doesn't really have minimal ads anymore either.

If you watch a show that goes for an hour there would be 5 or 6 ad breaks just like free to air. They are only half as long but because of that the show finishes 10 minutes early and then they show 10 minutes of ads in one block.

I know that a significant proportion of the ads on pay-tv are for other channels and programs but in my opinion an ad for a show I don't want to watch is just as bad as an ad for a product I don't want to buy.
The thing about ads is that that is how they are able to keep on air. They have other sources of money but ads are the big money maker for tv stations and without ads it will be incredibly hard to keep a station going.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Gangels said:
The thing about ads is that that is how they are able to keep on air. They have other sources of money but ads are the big money maker for tv stations and without ads it will be incredibly hard to keep a station going.
I know but there are more ads now than there have ever been before.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I noticed it with the ads in between scenes in a standard Prison Break episode. In one hour, there could be up to 15-20 minutes of ads in total, because I borrowed my friend's dvd once to watch an episode that I missed on tv and found it was about 40 minutes.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The average time for all the shows I download would be closest to about 43 minutes.

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Yeah, 42 minutes for 1hr shows, 21 minutes for 30 minute shows.

My flatmates just download everything that comes out on newtorrents and put it on the network, since we have good connection speed and a huge limit. So I watch that. :p

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
that comes out on newtorrents
i didnt know they transmitted comp signals across rivers that go under bridges? cause thats the only way u could get it, rite? i mean, it's pretty difficult for a troll to just go into a shop and buy a several km long telephone cable/ broadband cable

Gangels

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I know but there are more ads now than there have ever been before.
I think the problem is that everything is becoming more expensive and its the only way they can keep going. Get more ads.

But i reckon that stations are just getting greedy and they know that people will watch their channel cause everything else is the same. I fond ABC is pretty good with ads.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Australia is cheap in terms of airing television. Almost 90 % of the shows are American or an origin of another country, aus tv is crap, they cancel shows just like that, and might i add, they always cancel the good shows like House, or Lost, or Supernatural or something, but something like Big brother, the crappiest tv show to be produced in this universe, oh they'd never cancel that. bloody idiots...

and might i also add, that isn't it funny how we, in australia pay to get channels from overseas, but NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE in the entire world would ever pay to get channels from aus. aus tv is THAT crap..

[/rant]

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
It's almost at that point for me. I already download 4 shows. But I could easily make it more if I decided not to watch free to air tv at all. Problem is not enough people have the Internet speed or actually know how to do it so it won't ever make much of a different to the ratings. I would just be doing it on principle.

Downloading tv shows should not be illegal. In my opinion it's fair use. I admit there are no commercials but I never watch them anyway. I get up and leave the room or get a drink of something.
Books should be free because we can get them from Libraries?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)