• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B Applied Science (Sports and Exercise Science) Question (1 Viewer)

eggy91

HSC
Hey everyone im just wondering what it means by PDHPE may be used as a science unit under assumed knowledge for this degree at UWS. To be more detailed it says this:

Assumed knowledge: Any two units of english + four units of science and/or mathematics. PDHPE can be counted as a science unit for this course.

Does this mean PDHPE is counted as 1 unit or 2 units for science because at the moment i do PDHPE and biology and im wondering if this makes up 3 or 4 science units. And when it says "four units of maths" does this mean if you don't do a science course(s) you must be doing mathematics, ext 1 + ext 2 maths?

Also, in the UAC 2009 guide handbook it says that this knowledge is "recommended studies" yet on the website for USW it says its "assumed knowledge" which one should i go by?

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
‘Recommended knowledge’ and ‘Assumed knowledge’ mentioned in the UAC Guide and the UWS website pretty much refer to the same concept. Essentially, having any two units of English and any 4 units of science / maths is merely for your benefit so that you will not find the content within your course too difficult, especially in your first year. They are not pre-requisites for entry.

You were correct about the ‘and/or maths units’ mentioned on the statement in both the guide and the website. It can either be 4 units worth of maths, 4 units worth of science; or even a combination of one maths subject (worth 2 units) and one science subject (worth 2 units). And they briefly mention that your PDHPE can be in that combination.

The word unit refers to the unit measurements used to achieve your UAI, (For example: Biology = 2 units, Advanced English = 2 units, English Extension 1 = 1 unit.). Hope this helps. :)

eggy91

HSC
thanks for that but i am still a tad confused. At the moment i do general maths so do this count as 2 units of maths, because it does not say 'any' two units of maths like it does for english. Surely Biology, PDHPE and General Maths must make up 4 units of science/maths.?

HSC
Mathematics = 2U/Advanced Maths etc

Not General Maths.

Can't help anymore, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)