b arts/ b science @ sydney (1 Viewer)

millymoo

HSC
i really wanna get into arts at sydney but cut off is 83 and i got 78.90 darn! anyways just wondering about the b arts/ b science at sydney... you reckon if i did that i could dump the science part quickly? or at some point at all??

darkroomgirl

HSC
Do a lower course in Sydney... apparently it's easier to transfer courses rather than unis... although my friend's done that a few times, so you never know!

Whats the UAI for B Science/ B Arts?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
millymoo said:
i really wanna get into arts at sydney but cut off is 83 and i got 78.90 darn! anyways just wondering about the b arts/ b science at sydney... you reckon if i did that i could dump the science part quickly? or at some point at all??

To my knowledge the BSci/BA at USYD is basically where you do a BSci for 3 years, then for two years duration *after* your BSci component you do a truncated BA.

EDIT:See Generator's post below for more accurate info.:)

Last edited:

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
what exactly happens if you get into B arts? i dont understand completely about what you pick and do?

Generator

HSC
N/A
The 'Bachelor of Arts and Sciences' and the 'Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science' are completely different degree programmes. Do not confuse the two.

No doubt many would have noticed that in addition to the 'Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science', there is a 'Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts'. Now, though both programmes are offered alongside each other, the BA/BSc and the BSc/BA are pretty much the same, with the only real difference being that one is offered by the Arts faculty and the other by the Science faculty. (Side note - I was under the impression that the BA/BSc was going to be discontinued given the duplication, but that doesn't seem to be the case.)

kami said:
To my knowledge the BSci/BA at USYD is basically where you do a BSci for 3 years, then for two years duration *after* your BSci component you do a truncated BA.
No. It's a standard double degree, and though the BA follows the BSc, both degrees are truncated to the extent that the student has fewer electives than another student taking a standalone BSc or a BA - the requirements for each singular degree are met within the BSc/BA, it's just that the student doesn't haven't as much room to maneuver (for all intents and purposes non-core electives don't exist, especially with respect to the Table B majors within the BA).

In practice, the student completes the BSc in three years, and within this time they are required to fulfill the requirements for the first year of a BA. Basically, with the 36 credit points that a regulr BSc student has to play with over the course of their degree, a BSc/BA student is required to complete however many units are necessary in order to advance to the second year of the BA come their 4th year at uni. The university suggests that the student complete 36 credit points of junior units from the Arts faculty over this three year period, but that isn't a necessity - 24 will suffice.

I'm a BSc, BA student, if anyone happens to be wondering, and I also suggest that those with questions take the time to read through the university's website. The following links in particular appear to be quite useful -

Bachelor of Arts & Sciences
Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Combined Science Degrees - Science & Arts

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
(Side note - I was under the impression that the BA/BSc was going to be discontinued given the duplication, but that doesn't seem to be the case.)
Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
Actually, when I looked on UAC I couldn't find this degree, which was a severe dissapointment as I had been looking to apply for it so I think it is discontinued despite it still being on the USYD website. And thank for the info on the BSci/BA - it might still be worth considering for myself then too.:D

Generator

HSC
N/A
kami said:
Actually, when I looked on UAC I couldn't find this degree, which was a severe dissapointment as I had been looking to apply for it so I think it is discontinued despite it still being on the USYD website. And thank for the info on the BSci/BA - it might still be worth considering for myself then too.:D

Of course it's well worth considering! However, after a year or two at uni you may start to rue your decision... Still, given that you are required to fulfill the requirements of the BSc over the first three years, at least you have the option of dropping the BA if you are that way inclined :).

For the record, earlier this year I decided to carry on, but trying to create a programme for the senior years of the BA is proving to be quite difficult given the subject choices that I made within the first three years of the double programme. Oh well, I guess that not all units have to be interesting at first glance in order to be enjoyable.

Satori

HSC
I'll also probably be doing B of Arts & Sciences at Sydney hoping to transfer to B Arts as soon as possible, I got 80.75, i'm still going to have Arts as my first preference and do whatever else I can to get straight in, but i'm not holding my breath, just gotta hope that the B A&C cut-off doesnt rise a huge amount! Not looking forwards to having to complete the buisness & economics part though at all (I only did general maths, wonder if that'll be any sort of problem) but at least whatever units of Arts that I do first year may count for something.

Last edited:

adambra

HSC
I don't think it will stay at 75, it was a new course last year and wasn't in the UAC book hence the lower cut-off.

The_Shaman

HSC
So, do new courses generally rise their cut-offs? or would it stay the same for another year or so to gather some more interest?

Satori

HSC
Thats what I want to know too - I get it's cut-off for 05 was low because it was a new subject, but can anyone make any sort of projection as to just how much it might rise, i'm just worried about it going up more than 5, i'm assuming because it seem so low there will be a bit of demand for the course.

Also, my understanding is that a lot of cut-offs went down last year because some new sydtem of...something or else was introduced meaning a lot of people kind of got cold feet or something, but that being the case, now that whatever i'm talking about had been broke-in that the majority of courses will likely go back on the rise...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)